Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Nokian Hakka 5 or Hakka R

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nokian Hakka 5 or Hakka R

I'm finally getting winter tires. I've read many good things about Nokian tires and decided to go with them. I've decided that the <a href="http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=11890&group=1.01&name=Nokian%20Hakkapeliit ta%205">Hakkapeliitta 5</a> is their best winter tire, but it may be a waste for me to go with a studded tire. The <a href="http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=11949&group=1.01&name=Nokian%20Hakkapeliit ta%20R">Hakkapeliitta R</a> seems to be their best non-studded tire. It looks like the Hakka R is very similar to the Hakka 5 except for the studs.

Regardless of the brand, when studs are available for a tire, is it a waste to get them if you aren't likely to encounter conditions where studs would be needed?

Does anyone have any experience with the Hakka R? How does it perform on icy roads?

Most of my driving will be in and around Columbus, OH and I don't see myself going on any long road trips in the winter where I might encounter situations where studs would be appropriate. Secondly, I do drive to Detroit to visit friends and family. Studs are not allowed in that part of Michigan.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My opinion is Hakka5 with no studs....

I Have owned the RSi (predecessor to the R), and currently have the Hakka2 without studs. The Rsis were a touch better on the ice, but the Hakkas are considerably better in everything else... snow, slush, dry. The Hakkas have more room between tread blocks which seems to really help dig through snow better.. especially deeper snow.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:17 AM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If it's bad enough for studs...time to park it, not worth the risk. .02
Old 10-25-2008, 03:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Honestly the Hakka 5 w/out studs would be a strong setup The Wrg2 would also

be a great setup for all around winter use. I think those are going to be my next winter tires up here in north-central NH
Old 10-25-2008, 06:23 PM

Default Some of us would say "good enough" or "fun enough" for studs. :-D

However, we're probably all people who live in relatively flat areas where gravity + ice + cliff isn't something that we ever encounter.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:26 PM

Default I had WRs, then RSi, then hakka2.....

I find the hakkas to be the perfect compromise for winter. The WRs weren't good enough on the ice, and the RSis were a tad too soft on the dry pavement for what I was looking for. Tha hakka2s fell nicely in the middle and handle everything very well. Not too squirmy on dry, good on ice, absolutely amazing in snow (better than WR or RSi for snow). Also that hakka2s are wearing very nicely :-) (the RSis were wearing faster than I'd like as well)

However, if I were buying a winter tire now, I'd be choosing between the General Altimax Arctic (rebranded Gislaved Nordfrost3), or the Hankook iPike w409. Both fall into the same category as the hakkas, but for considerably less $$ than Nokians cost now with the weak dollar. They might not perform quite as well as the Nokian.. but 90% of the performance for nearly half the price is something I can handle. :-)
Old 10-26-2008, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Interesting. I wish the hakka 2's came in 18's though. I drove the RSI's at a winter driving school

and liked them on ice and packs snow. I just had a set of WGR2's installed on my mom's car so i don't need to worry about her. She is going to run them year around. (makes me feel better).

I currently have the Dunlop M3, Dunlop D2S on 18's and like the dry handling of the M3 and the slush handling of the M3, but find the D2S much better in deep snow, ice and packed snow. But the d2S being so soft wears so quick and handles so-so.

On the other car we ran the old Blizzak ws-50 and it was great all around except for handling. We now have the Blizzak revo and for her driving style and the days she actually drives the car in the snow they work great.

I was looking at the WGR2's for a good all arounder for me, but maybe the hakka 5 w/ out studs would be better.

I don't purchase tires from Hankook anymore. And the Nordfrost/Generals don't come in 18's.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:21 AM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Default yah. :)

As is sometimes the case with AWD and the bells &amp; whistles aids that come with it, one sometimes gets the feeling of infallibility on snow/ice and it can bite you. YOu can always go faster, but you can't "stop faster" physics still applies here. :+)
Old 10-26-2008, 07:24 AM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Default My good friend echoes all of your points...he sez he'll run out of clearance before...

he runs outa traction on the Vermont hills. He raves about the wear too.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:42 AM

hakka4 and hakka5 both available in 225/40/18 :-)

Quick Reply: Nokian Hakka 5 or Hakka R