Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Pothole-1….Tire-0….Bubble

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pothole-1….Tire-0….Bubble

I was about 1,000 ft from home and BAM! I hit a pothole and it scared the crap out of me.

It hit hard so I had to check the tire when I got home. Sure enough I have a bubble. Can I wait to have it replaced? Since winter is not over, I prefer to wait if I can.

I got Audi care when I first leased my car. I was out of lease last Oct. and purchased my car. Does Audi care cover any tire damage? Or does insurance cover it since it's the road that caused the damage? I have NJM for my car insurance.

Name:  IMG_4089_zpsb94306b4.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  95.8 KB

Name:  IMG_4086_zps74c46867.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  83.9 KB

Name:  IMG_4085_zps5aad5842.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  55.6 KB

Last edited by trlyka; 01-15-2014 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

If you're just puttering around town at low speeds, you can probably wait. I would not want to go on any roadtrips with that bubble on the sidewall.

How many tires are you going to need? How many miles on the damaged tire?
Old 01-15-2014, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
If you're just puttering around town at low speeds, you can probably wait. I would not want to go on any roadtrips with that bubble on the sidewall.

How many tires are you going to need? How many miles on the damaged tire?
What's considered a low speed? 80 MPH or under? lol

I live about 3 miles from my job. I only go to the next town over after work to pick up my dog (about 10-20 miles round trip depending). That's not to say I don't go on the highway or other places, but a majority of my driving is local.

My car has 23,400 miles. All 4 tires are original. Only one tire has a bubble. Based on the tread wear, I would assume I will need 2 tires?

Name:  IMG_4098_zps0c3b333b.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  60.4 KB

Last edited by trlyka; 01-15-2014 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Tires are never covered from what I remember - it is the tire mfr that warranties them.
If you replace one - you should make sure that the tread depth is within 4/32nd of the existing tires tread depth. Discount and Tire Rack will shave a tire down to that depth so that one does not have to buy four new ones (you will have to replace four not two). Otherwise one risks damaging the diff on our cars.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by trlyka
What's considered a low speed? 80 MPH or under? lol

OK, I'll re-state: I would not drive that car on a highway or above 40mph.

You will need at least two tires.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Reggie
Tires are never covered from what I remember - it is the tire mfr that warranties them.
If you replace one - you should make sure that the tread depth is within 4/32nd of the existing tires tread depth. Discount and Tire Rack will shave a tire down to that depth so that one does not have to buy four new ones (you will have to replace four not two). Otherwise one risks damaging the diff on our cars.
The 2 front tires are worn more then the rear. My mechanic said the rears are still good, but the fronts need to be replaced either way. Bubble or not. He said the bubble isn't too bad and I should keep an eye on it. Hopefully it will last through the winter. So depending on the cost of the tires, I may try to wait a couple months.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

OK, I'll re-state: I would not drive that car on a highway or above 40mph.

You will need at least two tires.
Well, if I park my car in my spot and don't move, I can avoid going over 40 ….But I understand what you mean. I have been taking it easy and trying to be more mindful of the road conditions. I used to have an older and newer vette, so I'm used to avoiding bad spots in the road. The spot I hit wasn't that deep until recently.

Name:  IMG_4111_zps8f801b92.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  164.3 KB
Old 01-16-2014, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by trlyka
The spot I hit wasn't that deep until recently.
Yeah, you catch it just right and can end up with a good amount of damage. (Some people would call the town and ask them to pay for the new tire.)
Old 01-16-2014, 04:52 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Audi does not offer "road hazard" coverage on OEM tires, essentially there is no coverage on the original tires unless you can get something from the tire manufacturer directly. Audi care is just pre-paid maintenance services, not a warranty of any kind. As others have mentioned, if your car is a quattro its either 1 tire or all 4, unless you already have uneven wear, which it sounds like you do, all four tires would need replacing. If your rears are within 4mm of original depth then you can replace just the front two but do it soon before you cause damage to the center diff. As for the road hazard warranty, any reputable dealer or tire shop will have coverage on the replacement tires you purchase but unfortunately you are out of luck on the originals.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Yeah, you catch it just right and can end up with a good amount of damage. (Some people would call the town and ask them to pay for the new tire.)
Yes I have heard of this too though with the economy so bad under this administration I don't know if towns do this anymore