Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Pothole-1….Tire-0….Bubble

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 02:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake-AudiUSAParts
Audi does not offer "road hazard" coverage on OEM tires, essentially there is no coverage on the original tires unless you can get something from the tire manufacturer directly. Audi care is just pre-paid maintenance services, not a warranty of any kind. As others have mentioned, if your car is a quattro its either 1 tire or all 4, unless you already have uneven wear, which it sounds like you do, all four tires would need replacing. If your rears are within 4mm of original depth then you can replace just the front two but do it soon before you cause damage to the center diff. As for the road hazard warranty, any reputable dealer or tire shop will have coverage on the replacement tires you purchase but unfortunately you are out of luck on the originals.
I will probably get road hazard on any new tires I get. I called Audi and they said I didn't purchase the hazard insurance when I got the car, so no luck there.

I'm not sure if it's uneven wear or the fact that my tires never got rotated properly….or at all? That was the first thing that came to my mechanics mind when he saw the tread difference.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:28 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trlyka
I will probably get road hazard on any new tires I get. I called Audi and they said I didn't purchase the hazard insurance when I got the car, so no luck there.

I'm not sure if it's uneven wear or the fact that my tires never got rotated properly….or at all? That was the first thing that came to my mechanics mind when he saw the tread difference.
Unfortunately it sounds like they were never rotated, I will never understand why people don't rotate their tires, it is so simple, quick and cheap and does so much for the life of the tires. I still have to remind my parents to do it, they just don't get it I guess.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Unfortunately it sounds like they were never rotated, I will never understand why people don't rotate their tires, it is so simple, quick and cheap and does so much for the life of the tires. I still have to remind my parents to do it, they just don't get it I guess.
I didn't think I had to ask to have that done. I just assumed it was part of the maintenance. Is it not? If so, I guess there is no way to prove if it was done or not?

Otherwise, could I hold Audi service liable for failing to rotate my tires and needing new ones before they actually needed to be replaced?
Old 01-18-2014, 02:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The tire looks pretty worn out anyway, judging from the pic with the penny. May as well replace them all and not have to worry about it for few years.

I've never heard of anyone recommending to just replace 2 tires on an awd audi unless there is no more than 2/32" max tread difference. Or is it not a quattro? They guys at the dealer told me in areas that don't get snow audis are available as 2wd.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Coupon
The tire looks pretty worn out anyway, judging from the pic with the penny. May as well replace them all and not have to worry about it for few years.

I've never heard of anyone recommending to just replace 2 tires on an awd audi unless there is no more than 2/32" max tread difference. Or is it not a quattro? They guys at the dealer told me in areas that don't get snow audis are available as 2wd.
There are some Audis that are FWD. A3 comes to mind. Some A4 were that way (not sure of newer models)
Old 01-18-2014, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Tire Rack
Audi: As published in their vehicle owner's manual, "rolling radius of all 4 tires must remain the same" or within 4/32-inch of each other in remaining tread depth.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=18

An 1/8" latitude is fairly generous.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Coupon

I do have Quattro. I will have the rear tires measured for tread depth. At this point it boils down to if I can afford all 4. I am waiting for a price from my mechanic.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:09 PM
Banned

I didn't think I had to ask to have that done. I just assumed it was part of the maintenance. Is it not? If so, I guess there is no way to prove if it was done or not?

Otherwise, could I hold Audi service liable for failing to rotate my tires and needing new ones before they actually needed to be replaced?
I don't blame you for assuming that tire rotation would be included in the services but for some strange reason, it is not, at least at most dealers. It most definitely should be included, whether they charge for it or not, it should be, at a minimum offered to the client. Unfortunately it is not listed as a required part of any of the services by Audi so the dealer is technically not liable for your tires not getting rotated and subsequently wearing prematurely. I think as an ala carte item we charge $12.95 for a tire rotation so it is not expensive but still there is incentive for the service adviser to offer it to the client.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I don't blame you for assuming that tire rotation would be included in the services but for some strange reason, it is not, at least at most dealers. It most definitely should be included, whether they charge for it or not, it should be, at a minimum offered to the client. Unfortunately it is not listed as a required part of any of the services by Audi so the dealer is technically not liable for your tires not getting rotated and subsequently wearing prematurely. I think as an ala carte item we charge $12.95 for a tire rotation so it is not expensive but still there is incentive for the service adviser to offer it to the client.
Wow, I had no idea! You would think Audi would of said….Hey, would you like your tires rotated???

Well, I guess you should never assume because…….
Old 01-18-2014, 07:00 PM
Banned

Wow, I had no idea! You would think Audi would of said….Hey, would you like your tires rotated???

Well, I guess you should never assume because…….
My sentiments exactly, why not ask??? It boggles my mind.