Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Pothole-1….Tire-0….Bubble

Old 01-21-2014, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=18

An 1/8" latitude is fairly generous.
I'm looking to replace all 4, but not with Pirelli at $195 per tire.

So I am looking at 3 other tires:

Hankook Ventus S1 noble2
Kuhmo Ecsta 4X
General G-MAX AS-03
Old 01-22-2014, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I called Audi and the guy in service went over all my visits and said my tires were rotated. He sad the front wear faster then the rear as a general rule. Not sure I believe they were done, but he did say it was.

Can anyone tell me if there is a big difference in a H rating vs. W? I know it's a speed rating of 130 vs. 168 MPH. But I also hear the W rating wears faster. It's a softer/stickier tire that works best in warmer weather? Since I am replacing all 4, I need to stay at around $120 or less per tire.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by trlyka
I called Audi and the guy in service went over all my visits and said my tires were rotated. He sad the front wear faster then the rear as a general rule. Not sure I believe they were done, but he did say it was.

Can anyone tell me if there is a big difference in a H rating vs. W? I know it's a speed rating of 130 vs. 168 MPH. But I also hear the W rating wears faster. It's a softer/stickier tire that works best in warmer weather? Since I am replacing all 4, I need to stay at around $120 or less per tire.
As a general rule the W rated tires will wear faster because W rated tires are more of a performance rated tire. Typically a W rated tires are ultra high performance category while H rated tires are now usually touring type of tire. Now if there happened to be the same line of a tire with both H and W rating, the difference would not be as significant.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by TSHong
As a general rule the W rated tires will wear faster because W rated tires are more of a performance rated tire. Typically a W rated tires are ultra high performance category while H rated tires are now usually touring type of tire. Now if there happened to be the same line of a tire with both H and W rating, the difference would not be as significant.
Thanks for the info. I am looking at a couple of different tires. I just need to be under a certain amount. I don't want to skimp either. I am probably going with the Kuhmo Ecsta 4X. They are on Tire rack for $104 ea. Even with shipping, my mechanic can't touch the price.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by trlyka
Thanks for the info. I am looking at a couple of different tires. I just need to be under a certain amount. I don't want to skimp either. I am probably going with the Kuhmo Ecsta 4X. They are on Tire rack for $104 ea. Even with shipping, my mechanic can't touch the price.
Not sure about those but I personally had a bad experience with a set of Khumos. I'm Korean so wanted to like those but I too them off my D2 after about 8K miles on them. As for entry level tires, take a look at Hankooks. They get much better ratings than Khumos on most tire tests.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I've by no means read about any individual advising to merely change 2 car tires with an awd audi unless of course there is no over 2/32" maximum tread big difference. Or is it not really a quattro? They folks in the dealer informed me in regions that don't get snowfall audis can be purchased as 2wd.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by flarejeans9
I've by no means read about any individual advising to merely change 2 car tires with an awd audi unless of course there is no over 2/32" maximum tread big difference. Or is it not really a quattro? They folks in the dealer informed me in regions that don't get snowfall audis can be purchased as 2wd.
Quite a few models do come FWD - i.e. the A3 (much to the regret of US buyers as they models do not come AWD

Search this Thread