Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Quattro and different sized rims

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 03:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quattro and different sized rims

Hiya all,

first off, pls excuse my technically bad english.

Ive got a 2,4 V6 Qauttro from 1999. I have a set of rims that I'd like to mount on to it - 19x8,5 and 19x9,5 ET38 (probably will get flamed for the wide rear weels at this point ).
Ive checked out some prices for the tyres needed and after a little work they came down to the best option available - but with a warning!

Problem: I was told that Quattros (or 4x4 in general) need to have tyre treads of same level (which wont be the case here) due to the rolling circumferences(?), or else the tear and wear will end up in the transmission and possibly break it!
Theres a mathmatical calculataion of the tyres to use to make sure the equation ends in '0', but mine ended in '0,1'. They said that in theory 0,1 is too little difference to cause any problems to the transmission, but that they also have experienced transmission breakdown earlier on a Suzuki that chose to have different sized tyes.

TLDR; Does anyone here roll with different set of rims on their Quattro without any problems, or is it a known danger to the transmission to do so?

I hope the explanation was understandable, and in advance - thanks!
Old 07-14-2018, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

It is a known problem for the Quattro system, particularly the differentials.