Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Rims Damaged - Suggested

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2001, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rims Damaged - Suggested

If you think this posting sounds familiar - I did post it on the main board as well.

Well, winter is just around the corner - here in the great white north - so I had the dealer put the winter
package (Michelin Pilot Alpins) on my 5 month old 2.8 Wed. And I figured what the heck I would save
the $60 for the dealer to store my rims so I could give them a good cleaning for spring. Not that they
were that dirty - I have tended to wash my car weekly since new.
Well, .... to my shock the inside portion of the 2 rims that had been on the back seem scared and
blemished. Looks like something has splashed and burned through the finish. I am real disappointed. I
am not sure what to make of it. Maybe the rims were this way from day 1 - car had been on the lot for
several months. I wouldn't have been able to spot the blemishes on the inside of the back rims.
Another option; the delaer usdr very strong rim cleaner - potentially they were not able to rince the
inside part of the rims and it burned through.

Now I know no one really can see inside there but still....the car is only 5 months old.

In addition, I notice that the rim seals s seem to have been broken on a couple of rims on the outside.
My guess caused as they moved the balancing weights when they rotated my tires at 8000 km.

So finally the question?? Can I tell the dealer or Audi Canada that these rims are defective and I want
a new set? Or is this normal for rims to discolour and scare after 5 months and 9500 kms.

Also, what drop in gas mileage should I expect running on the Michelin Alpin pilots versus the stock Continentals - on bare pavement.

Help.......jim