Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

RS4 Winter tyres

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS4 Winter tyres

I live in the Alps and have a B7 RS4 that i bought this summer.
Need to get winter tyres and wanted to ask thoughts on the best ones that'll fit?
The current tyres are Michelin 265/30 ZR20
Couple of websites i've visited are offering the following:

Continental Conti-WinterContact TS 830 P

Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3

Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4

More options if i went for a 265/35 but not sure if i'll have issues doing this?
Mainly want the best for driving in the snow as i'm in a high altitude resort so plenty of the stuff here......hopefully!
Thanks
Old 09-23-2018, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

They are all good performance winter tyres. Not a huge difference (I currently have PA4 and Sottozero II on my B9 S5s). The 830 P is an homologated winter tyre for RS vehicles. But it does have a lower speed rating (V vs W for the other two) although this is unlikely to be an issue unless you plan on exceeding 250kph at some point.

But whilst these tyres are okay on snow, if you are spending all your time at the top, and the roads are seldom cleared, you might want a more extreme winter tyre, but you'd have to get smaller wheels for that. You won't be able to fit chains with your 20" wheels. And the B7 was not made with 20" wheels, it had 18" or 19". So I assume it is running after market wheels and so I've no idea what your wheel width is or what offset you are running. You could use 255/35, which will give you a bit less of a sidewall height increase than a 265/35. If you are in Europe, some markets regard a non-standard tyre size as illegal.

The winter tyre fitting, should you decide that the winter conditions are going to be quite extreme, is 235/40 R19 on an 8J x 19" wheel with an ET25 offset. You'll have quite a few choices in this tyre size, and the prices will be quite a lot lower.

You could also ask the question in the B7 forum.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Glisse
They are all good performance winter tyres. Not a huge difference (I currently have PA4 and Sottozero II on my B9 S5s). The 830 P is an homologated winter tyre for RS vehicles. But it does have a lower speed rating (V vs W for the other two) although this is unlikely to be an issue unless you plan on exceeding 250kph at some point.

But whilst these tyres are okay on snow, if you are spending all your time at the top, and the roads are seldom cleared, you might want a more extreme winter tyre, but you'd have to get smaller wheels for that. You won't be able to fit chains with your 20" wheels. And the B7 was not made with 20" wheels, it had 18" or 19". So I assume it is running after market wheels and so I've no idea what your wheel width is or what offset you are running. You could use 255/35, which will give you a bit less of a sidewall height increase than a 265/35. If you are in Europe, some markets regard a non-standard tyre size as illegal.

The winter tyre fitting, should you decide that the winter conditions are going to be quite extreme, is 235/40 R19 on an 8J x 19" wheel with an ET25 offset. You'll have quite a few choices in this tyre size, and the prices will be quite a lot lower.

You could also ask the question in the B7 forum.
Thanks for the detailed reply and info....
Firstly just realised i made a bit of a typo and should have said its the B8 model not the B7!!
The wheels are the standard multi V spoke version as opposed to the blades (no idea if i've given them the correct names!!)

The gap between the tyre and wheel arch is pretty minimal so as you say, getting chains on isn't gonna be an option even if found some to fit!
That said my old B5 S4 with 4 x Michelin winter tyres was incredible in the snow and never came close to getting stuck!
I don't really use the car much in the winter but around town is always covered in snow and then when i go down the valley it'll be wet roads and/or partial covered in snow

So having a good all round tyre is probably a better option as it'll be nicer when i make the 2.5hr drive to the airport or other resorts etc
I'd imagine the Conti will be pretty similar to the Michelin i had before but looks like a nicer tread for the wet/dry roads

I'm defo not intending to exceed 250 so thats not an issue for sure! (save that for dry summer months!)
You say about changing the width from 265 but didn't think you could do this?
Was looking at maybe going from 30 - 35mm as that gives more choice but again, concerned about the clearance between tyre and wheel arch?

Thanks for your advise
Old 09-23-2018, 11:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

Nice car, and perfect for the mix of driving you are doing.

The Audi OEM V spoke, which is the right name, is a 9" wheel and 255mm tyre width should still be okay with minimal stretch, 255/265/275 all okay for this width. But I only threw that out there if you were insisting on a 35 profile, to try and get the sidewall height down a bit. With a 35, it is swings and roundabouts. Yes, you will have about 6mm less clearance between tyre and wheel arch, but you will also have 6mm extra ground clearance

But personally, I would either stick with 265/30 R20 or get a 19" winter wheel set. I would get the Michelin PA4 myself assuming there is no great price difference, but as I said little difference between the 3. I know you can get cheaper brands in the 265/35, but don't LOL! If you decide on the Conti, check what year of manufacture you are getting (it is stamped on the tyre) as they have been in production for 8 years or more, and there will be some old stock around with compounds as hard as old cheese. Best of luck.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi
Thanks for all that again, good to know all this.
Will stick with the size thats on there now and decide between the Conti and Michelin
Thanks