Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

RS7 - steering wheel shaking - help

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by SamRS7
Yes - I've done both the balancing and the alignment. Drives great. I'm going through the process of picking out some summer wheels. 21" Brixton VL13or Vorsteiner VFN50

Awesome! Great to here this. I prefer the looks of the Vorstiner VFN better and both are Forged rims which is an absolute must to prevent any bends. What tires are you gonna go with? I rec the Pilot Sport 4S.
Old 07-21-2020, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey SamRS7 - same problem here. Left my car at my dad's place, he had to move it, and drove it into the stone curb in his driveway, chunking a piece of the tire and producing some major rim rash. I got a new set of tires, and despite two attempts of balancing and one alignment, still getting steering wheel shake and have a bit of an audible wobble sound at various speeds. I thought, bent rim probably, but the wheel that was curbed is now in the back left, whereas when it was hit, it was on the front right.... so how does the back wheel issue create a steering wheel shake, right? Well, it's going into the Audi dealer today to find out. (Two previous attempts at tire install, and 2nd rebalancing and alignment were at NTB, which usually does just fine when I get new tires.)
Old 07-29-2020, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 480 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Baloo588
Awesome! Great to here this. I prefer the looks of the Vorstiner VFN better and both are Forged rims which is an absolute must to prevent any bends. What tires are you gonna go with? I rec the Pilot Sport 4S.
I believe the Vorstiner VFN wheels are Flow Forged, which is not the same as Forged. They are less expensive than Forged and durability is midway between Cast and Forged. They are not a problem, they are just not Forged.
Old 08-13-2020, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well, at the risk of talking to myself, to update the story, turns out the rims were not bent. And the wheels were balanced, but apparently, when running on the machine at Audi, the tires "hopped" and there was nothing that could be done to fix them. So they are going back to TireRack for a replacement set. We shall see soon how this turns out. With any luck, should be back to normal operation soon.
Old 08-13-2020, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by geoffrey2k
Well, at the risk of talking to myself, to update the story, turns out the rims were not bent. And the wheels were balanced, but apparently, when running on the machine at Audi, the tires "hopped" and there was nothing that could be done to fix them. So they are going back to TireRack for a replacement set. We shall see soon how this turns out. With any luck, should be back to normal operation soon.
You are not alone!
Old 08-19-2020, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

The sage continues...the information "the wheels were not bent" turns out not to be completely accurate. Despite my asking Audi to check if a bent rim was the issue, they didnt really check. Because in order to check, they apparently had to send the wheels to some outside source, and this would require all four wheels being checked and incurring some $ put out on my end that they thought maybe they could save me. So they went and rebalanced everythign and said, well, that seems to be a lot better, but then said, yeah, the tech guy said he thinks one of the rims could be bent.

JFCOAPS

I have yet to get out on a proper highway to test these out, but I can tell already Im not going to be happy as while there is no evident steering wheel shake anymore, there is definitely some sort of audible wobbling you can pick up as you drive, and I suspect that will get worse at highway speeds. When the rain stops, I will check it out and report back.

Unending fun...
Old 08-19-2020, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by geoffrey2k
The sage continues...the information "the wheels were not bent" turns out not to be completely accurate. Despite my asking Audi to check if a bent rim was the issue, they didnt really check. Because in order to check, they apparently had to send the wheels to some outside source, and this would require all four wheels being checked and incurring some $ put out on my end that they thought maybe they could save me. So they went and rebalanced everythign and said, well, that seems to be a lot better, but then said, yeah, the tech guy said he thinks one of the rims could be bent.

JFCOAPS

I have yet to get out on a proper highway to test these out, but I can tell already Im not going to be happy as while there is no evident steering wheel shake anymore, there is definitely some sort of audible wobbling you can pick up as you drive, and I suspect that will get worse at highway speeds. When the rain stops, I will check it out and report back.

Unending fun...
I could feel a vibration in my steering wheel before I purchased new summer tires this year. When they put the wheels on the balancing machine it was easy to see that both rear wheels were bent. Nothing you would see on the road, but it was apparent on the balancing machine. Did not bother to measure/mic it as the wiggle was visible on the machine. Had the wheels repaired and the vibration went away.
Old 09-16-2020, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

The saga reaches its end... (or does it?)

So they decide to finally check for a bent rim, as I told them to. Yup, bent, now straightened.

Then they actually road force balanced the tires. Despite my telling them to do this the first time, the original balance did not use the road force machine. Fail.

Rides smooth as butter now.

So I decided may as well have my annual service done, since youve got the car in the shop. They go to do an oil change, ummm, Houston, we've got a problem. Oil pan rusting out and need new gasket. Estimate : $2500 (over $1600 for parts), on a car worth maybe $14k.

Dilemmas continue.