Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Seattle Winter tires: please help an ignorant new owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-1998, 02:19 PM
vinay

Default Seattle Winter tires: please help an ignorant new owner

I just got an Avant and plan to do some winter driving in the cascades and canada including ski trips to the pass. Would appreciate any advice on where to get tires on the east side or seattle and which tires can sustain routine transition from Seattles wet to snowy conditions on a regular basis, with more time spent in the rain rather than snow. I've read recent posts and Pirelli asimettrico seems a good choice. Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 11-19-1998, 03:01 PM
LouisE

Default Re: Seattle Winter tires: please help an ignorant new owner

I just put on a set of 16" Pirelli 210A's, they run great in the dry & wet, but no snow/ice expierence as yet. I purchased the 210A's because of the mostly dry road conditions in the Chicago area and not wanting to sacrifice performance. Try Discount Tire @ 1 800 790.6444. Their prices were as good as Tire Rack and they are on the west coast. If they are out of stock Tire Rack just received a shipment. Also Gary @ Ronnel had the units available.<p>LouisE
Old 11-19-1998, 03:04 PM
LouisE

Re: Seattle Winter tires: please help an ignorant new owner. Sorry that is Ronal
Old 11-19-1998, 05:47 PM
GregW

Default Another Pirelli Endorsement...

I replaced my Goodyear RSA's (16") with equivalent Pirelli 210A's, not the Ice variety.<p>I live outside of Boston, which means mostly dry roads, some snow, some ice. I'll also be taking the car up to the White Mountains every weekend - most of the way dry/wet, some ice/snow.<p>The Pirellis are great in dry/wet. Better than the goodyears, with maybe a little more noise. Handling seems even better - though rougher.<p>No snow yet, but I'm expecting something between the stock tires and an ice tire in terms of performance.<p>--Greg<br>
Old 11-20-1998, 01:23 PM
AndyD

Default Some snow experience

I can echo all the good comments about the 210A's in dry and wet conditions. I've also had the opportunity to try mine out in one pretty good snowfall. I recommend them highly, especially for a quattro. Our other cars have ice tires (yoko guardex's) and they are stickier on ice than the 210A's, but the 210A is a far better every day tire for the Denver area. <p>Andy
Old 11-21-1998, 08:19 AM
Rich

Default Re: Seattle Winter tires: (and NW skiiing offer...)

Vinay--<p>Just drove through Glacier in Montana, then to Seattle via US 2 (and via the Cascades on 20).<br>Having come all this way from northern Michigan, I experienced quite a bit of different roads, <br>conditions, and speeds. Did all this on Nokian Hak 1's, which to their credit survived quite nicely<br>and are ready for some ski trips around the Northwest this winter (any takers??)<p>For you, though, I'd say the Hak 1's are a bit of overkill, and their softer tread compound and slight<br>whine would not make you happy on the crowded Seattle freeways everyday. Having researched all<br>this way too much, I'd compare the two Pirelli's, (Asimmetrico and Winter 210, both non-ice versions),<br>the Dunlop Winter sport M2, and the Nokian NRW's, followed possibly by the Michelin Alpins and Goodyear Eagle GW. Respective web sites will be helpful to 'ya.<p>Have fun out there..anyone up for some w-end ski trips get in touch.<p>Rich<br>'98 2.8Q sport
Old 11-21-1998, 09:31 PM
Kirk

Default SKIING!!!!! Ya Sure, Ya Betcha...

Check out the Redhook Brewery in Fremont and you'll get the title. Anyway, I think that a group skiing trip is in order for Northwest A4ers.<p>We could start easy at the Pass (Ski Acres or Alpental) and then go from there. <p>We just need snow now! It is starting to snow this weekend, but that sure is late this year.<p>Kirk<br>99 A4 2.8Qtip
Old 11-21-1998, 11:17 PM
ChuckH

Default It better snow this week!

I put snow tires on for my trip to Dad's in Republic. If there is no snow, I'm going to have a fit! :-) Where's our harsh winter anyway?<p>Charles<br>
Old 11-22-1998, 01:11 AM
Mika

210s awesome in slow/snow or 75mph/rain or 130mph/dry
Old 11-22-1998, 09:13 AM
vinay

Default Thanks for all the info. I'm going for the 210As

nt<br>