Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Snow Chains for 2016 S6 ..Yes/No?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow Chains for 2016 S6 ..Yes/No?

Hi Folks,

I'm new to the forum so firstly..hello! I'm a fairly new owner of a 2016 S6 Prestige after trading in my 2013 S4 a few months ago. I have the OEM 19" 255/40 summer performance package but would like to venture up to Tahoe a few times this coming winter. I'm hesitant to 'justify' winter tires/wheels (or any combination of) for what will likely be 2 trips up to the snow. That being said I remember the dealer telling me I "wasn't allowed" to put chains on my car.

That being said I keep seeing 'factory' chains from Audi for the S6 (Part#4E0091375) so I'm confused. Can I get the chains for ~$320 and get away with it or do I have to spring for $1000+ tires and or more for wheels/tires combo?

Thanks again and looking forward to being an active member here!

Cheers,

JW
Old 11-27-2016, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I would stay away from chains and summer tires for driving up to Tahoe (or any snow). Bare minimum is a set up high performance all seasons.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

If its chains, it would actually be cables. One mistake though and maybe thousands in body work to fix... Plus lower clearance and bigger wheels in S6. Not a good recipe.

Or, go bare and end up up a pole or in a ditch. Drive and own second home up there and see it all the time--commonly late model, almost new cars owned by "flatlanders." Among recent sitings were Tesla beached whale with a tire up in the air (got a pic of that; not AWD but tire cables--Tesla wall of shame), Volvo XC90 up a pole in opposite lane at 45 degree angle, and Jeep Cherokee completely upside down in a wide ditch. Hint: park it, get a rental, or get some decent tires. Summers are a complete non starter in any snow or hard frozen road that can go on for days after a mid winter storm. Remember too quattro does squat/zero/zilch for stopping--another common "I'm invincible" mistake made shortly before the bent sheet metal or worse. First time you stop going downhill from as slow as 25MPH and slide as much as 250 feet, if you don't crash you will get religion extremely quickly. At least get some decent all seasons up handling some snow and iced roads--Conti DWS 06's for example. What i am going w/ for now on S8, though likely will get dedicated snows as I have for other Audis in last 15 years.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 12-06-2016 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
If its chains, it would actually be cables. One mistake though and maybe thousands in body work to fix... Plus lower clearance and bigger wheels in S6. Not a good recipe.

Or, go bare and end up up a pole or in a ditch. Drive and own second home up there and see it all the time--commonly late model, almost new cars owned by "flatlanders." Among recent sitings were Tesla beached whale with a tire up in the air (got a pic of that; not AWD but tire cables--Tesla wall of shame), Volvo XC90 up a pole in opposite lane at 45 degree angle, and Jeep Cherokee completely upside down in a wide ditch. Hint: park it, get a rental, or get some decent tires. Summers are a complete non starter in any snow or hard frozen road that can go on for days after a mid winter storm. Remember too quattro does squat/zero/zilch for stopping--another common "I'm invincible" mistake made shortly before the bent sheet metal or worse. First time you stop going downhill from as slow as 25MPH and slide as much as 250 feet, if you don't crash you will get religion extremely quickly. At least get some decent all seasons up handling some snow and iced roads--Conti DWS 06's for example. What i am going w/ for now on S8, though likely will get dedicated snows as I have for other Audis in last 15 years.
Thanks for the comprehensive and candid response. I agree wholeheartedly and it's clear that chains are definitely not the option..alas scrimping on this will not end well so time to dig into the savings for winter tires!