Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Snow Story?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-1998, 01:57 PM
jj

Default Snow Story?

There has been much talk about which snow tire, etc., etc. Anyone who has some ACTUAL A4 snow experience---what set did you buy and how did they perform? I want to buy some allseasons that are rated good (and CHP legal) for approx. 5x/year Tahoe trips and that don't suck during the summer. Willing to pay for quality. Suggestions!?!<br>[SFBAY A498.5QTip Owner] Thanks folks!
Old 11-21-1998, 08:07 AM
Rich

Default Re: Snow Story?

JJ--<p>You know from reading the archives and countless posts on the subject that an all season tire is going to be a compromise, but it sounds like you're looking for just that. You might do well with the Toyo Proxes Z1, which I had on a previous Jetta. (www.toyo.com) That car was lighter and FWD, but I found these tires not helpful in digging out of deep snow, though acceptable in light snow, with great dry / wet traction the rest of the year. Plus, they even look cool, FWIW. Great tires, IMHO, and definitely worth looking at for an A4Q...<p>Since I wanted more optimal seasonal traction on snow/ice for the whole winter (i.e., not just w-end trips), I got the Nokian Hak 1's before LAST winter, and found them to have great "starting out" traction in deep snow, and quite decent high speed traction, within the limits of physics and all that crap. If you wanted to get better snow traction for the whole winter without losing much in dry traction and were willing to get another set of tires, you would probably do very well and be safer in snow with the Dunlop winter sport M2's or the Pirelli Asimmetrico or Winter 210's. You can read lots more in the archives.<p>Have fun out there..<p>Rich<br>'98 2.8Q sport
Old 11-22-1998, 01:00 AM
Mika

Default Re: Snow Story?

Don't have experience with snows on an A4 but I have experience with snows on other German cars. All seasons are referred to by many in the auto industry as "no seasons", meaning that they don't do anything very well(this is how the head test driver for BMW NA describes them). In Europe people have summer, rain and snow tires to suit the season. The all season(no season) is a US thing. Since price is no object to you, get some Pirellis, Michelin, Dunlop, etc. PERFORMANCE SNOWS. Don't get studless snows because they aren't needed if you only see snow 5 times a year. Don't forget that snow tires have a special compound designed for below freezing conditions.If you want to do it right purchase a set of PERFORMANCE SNOWs with a H speed rating, preferrably on separate wheels,maybe slightly narrower.This way you'll get the added safety/traction of snows and still have a tire that is suited to performance driving when the snow clears. Your German car will love them, I know my VR6 Corrado loves Pirelli 210s. I envy you because you ski in the Tahoe region, I can only dream about the powder you must get. Happy <br>skiing/motoring/rallying!<br> <p>
Old 11-22-1998, 04:51 PM
jj

Default THANKS

<br>xx