Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Tire balance question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-1998, 03:04 AM
David Hess

Default Tire balance question.

Just bought 4 new Mich XGT Z4s from tire rack. Three tires used very small weights. The 4th one used a weight about 4-5 inches long. The balancing machine said 80 when they checked it initially. The tire is on the right rear and it seems to be very noisy. Only have 200 miles on the tires and the noise has started since I had them installed. I tried rebalancing which mad it worse. Any comments? I plan on asking tire rack for a new tire. <br>Dave<br>98.5 2.8 QTS
Old 11-22-1998, 12:25 AM
Mika

Default Re: Tire balance question.

In this situation try removing the weights(I assume they are stick on, clean all the glue off) and dismount the tire(check for damage to the tire and wheel). Clean the wheel as much as you can, on the inside as well.. Put a new valve on and remount the tire and rebalance. When spinning on the balance machine , look at the tire to see if it goes up and down or side to side, if it does the tire may be out of round and/ or damaged/defective(I assume the wheel is not bent). . You can also try swapping tires around. I used to work at a tire store and usually this would solve the problem. This will hopefully help avoid the hassle of sending the tire back. Good luck!<br>
Old 11-23-1998, 10:18 AM
David Hess

Default Re: Tire balance question.

Thanks for the info. The weights are close to the valve stem already and removing the weights definitely made it worse. The tire has been like that since it was installed and the old Dunlop was quiet. Tire rack is shipping me another and once they receive this one they will credit my account. Thanks for the info though.