Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

TPMS problem 2008 A-4 Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS problem 2008 A-4 Quattro

Several months ago, the TPMS system showed there was a problem with no signal from one of the tires. Finally after my tire dealer tested the 4 working tires, they figured out it was coming from the spare. The year prior, that spare had been on the right front and damaged from a bad pot hole. It was then relegated to the spare rim with full spare tire. The other day, I had my tire dealer replace the spare tire sensor with a new one from Audi ($147 w/tax). Before I drove off, they re-set the computer on the dash, I drove it for 32 miles, TPMS lights stayed on. I used the car again today, set the computer when I first got in to both new tire pressure as well as for a wheel change, drove the car again for 34 miles. The TPMS warning light is STILL coming on. I am ready to drive a stake through the dash! Help!
Old 07-11-2014, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by CT_A4
Several months ago, the TPMS system showed there was a problem with no signal from one of the tires. Finally after my tire dealer tested the 4 working tires, they figured out it was coming from the spare. The year prior, that spare had been on the right front and damaged from a bad pot hole. It was then relegated to the spare rim with full spare tire. The other day, I had my tire dealer replace the spare tire sensor with a new one from Audi ($147 w/tax). Before I drove off, they re-set the computer on the dash, I drove it for 32 miles, TPMS lights stayed on. I used the car again today, set the computer when I first got in to both new tire pressure as well as for a wheel change, drove the car again for 34 miles. The TPMS warning light is STILL coming on. I am ready to drive a stake through the dash! Help!
So what are the tire pressure readings now? You do have a gauge right?

Could be you have a bad battery on one of the other sensors - I did get confused - you have sensors on only the four tires that are in use right? Or do you now have five - one on the spare. I thought that the tires have to be in motion to be sending a signal.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Reggie
So what are the tire pressure readings now? You do have a gauge right?

Could be you have a bad battery on one of the other sensors - I did get confused - you have sensors on only the four tires that are in use right? Or do you now have five - one on the spare. I thought that the tires have to be in motion to be sending a signal.
Audi A-4's have 5 tire sensors in the 4 tires plus the full spare. All of mine have been tested (my tire pressure is correct on all 5 tires as well) and we discovered that the full spare tire sensor was dead. The other 4 sensors all have good batteries. I replaced the spare sensor with a new one from Audi Parts last week, reset the computer as stated, drove 30 miles and the darn thing still shows TPMS warning light. My tire guy is going to take another look at all of them and the programming. I would much rather have him work on it than Audi. They want to charge $150 just to look. Plus Audi told me there was another sensor in the rear bumper where all the signals were collected for the computer. That is bogus info according to another Audi expert I know.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I was not aware the spare had a sensor - as I do not have a spare in my 08 RS4. I wonder if a VAG-COM can read the info on the sensor and determine if they are working correctly. You might look for a person who has one that is local (ask in the local forum) to you or try a independent Audi shop
Old 08-01-2014, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

In my opinion you will get more help in the appropriate A4 forum. This is specific to the model.

That said let me try to help with A8 experience. A8 has also 5 sensors but it also have a display where you can see all pressures and temperatures. So it would be clear if the spare is bad. System works without spare wheel sensor, but it shuts off if any of four sensors in working wheels is down. Batteries should last 5-7 years and can't be replaced. For the end, but probably most important, aftermarket sensors are ~$40 each and they work perfectly.