Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

What tires should I get, I'm confused

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What tires should I get, I'm confused

I'm about to put the 20" wheels on my A6 (oem 20" from 2012) and I don't know what tires to get. There are so many choices from $100 per tire to $400 per tire. I don't know if an expensive tire is worth it. Just because it's more expensive doesn't mean it's better. Does anyone have any advice? I've been on Tire Rack, Amazon and Walmart's site and there are great reviews for all price ranges. I could really use some guidance here.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

First, What are your priorities? Dry traction? Wet Traction? Heat tolerance? Speed rating? noise? Smoothness? Winter capability? Appearance? Cost? brand recognition - status?

On our 4 AUDI’s I have two TTs on Continental DW, My S5 on Michelin Super Sports, wife’s Q7 on Bridgestone Dueler HL400( came on it installed by dealer, prefer Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus )
Different priorities for different vehicles. Why do you want 20” wheels?

Last edited by J. Patterson; 05-11-2018 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well, I live in Phila PA and it gets cold and snows in the winter so something that works year round would be good. I don't care about brand recognition, I'd rather save money if I can. Low noise and smoothness are a definite plus. The car rarely gets driven hard enough to get close to the limits of traction so I don't think having tires that are on the bleeding edge of performance are needed. This is my first all wheel drive car and I can't get the tires to lose traction in the rain so maybe it's making me overconfident.

I want the 20" because they look much better than the 18"s I have. Purely aesthetic
Old 05-11-2018, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Ok, Given those priorities I would suggest the Continetal DWS 06. We had an A6 a few years back and ran two sets of their predecessor the DWS on it and they were quiet, smooth, good in rain and lasted very well. Reports are that they are decent in snow. ( it is very rare here.)There are of course other good choices. Read the tire guides on Tire Rack. They give great information and even make recommendations based on your driving priorities.
Just so you know, those 20s will ride harsher and be more easily damaged by curbs and potholes. But, yeah they look cool.
And, The A6 is a fine car, one of my favorites we ever had. I wouldn’t put off brand tires on it if it were mine.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by J. Patterson
Ok, Given those priorities I would suggest the Continetal DWS 06.
Agree. The DWS 06 have behaved well in weather similar to yours. Have on both my A6, and son's Camry. Do check the test reports on Tire Rack and Consumer Reports.......if your roads are full of holes, suggest reconsidering the 19"
Old 05-12-2018, 02:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

This is some great info to consider. I didn't know the ride would be more harsh or about the potential damage to the tires. Is there an upside to the larger tire other than looks?

This is why I love the forum, I really appreciate everyone sharing their experience.
Old 05-12-2018, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got 20" wheels on my TTRS and I can agree with previous posts about the tires response to some "bad roads"—hitting a significant sized pothole can be felt through the whole car! Now mind you that is also because I am running 255/30/20 tires on them.

So it also really depends on the sidewall aspect tire you choose with any diameter wheel. Low aspect (30,35) will be more stiff and less compliant in rough road (e.g. pot-holes) conditions whereas 40,45 will be more cushioning. But, if you want stiff sidewalls for control such as taking your can on the track, 30,35 aspect is better.

From what you are describing as to what you are looking for, if you choose 20" for looks then be aware that you would probably be limited to a 35 aspect ratio sidewall (due to overall wheel size that can fit your car) and will have to be extra careful about avoiding any significant holes in the pavement.

Have fun with your new wheel purchase!
Old 05-12-2018, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks, I'll have to get the road hazard warranty.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree on the DWS 06 also if not planning to run winter tires. It is the best performance all season that you are going to do in that size. Call me if I can. help.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Damon@tirerack.com
I agree on the DWS 06 also if not planning to run winter tires. It is the best performance all season that you are going to do in that size. Call me if I can. help.
I like the DWS 06 on my S4. I live in NEPA... a typically worse winter and roads than you are likely to have in SEPA/Phily. It is not a true snow tire of course but works well enough in most snowy conditions, especially when tread is like 50% or better. I didn't mount my snows this past winter with new DWS 06 and got by...

Quick Reply: What tires should I get, I'm confused