Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Wheel Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 02:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel Questions

I want to replace the 21" OEM wheels on my SQ5 with 20" inch wheels because I need all season tires and there aren't in the 21" size. I've got a couple of questions that somebody may be able to answer.

Other than for offset, will all Audi OEM wheels fit across model lines? e.g. will a 20" S6 wheel fit on my SQ5?

I know my current wheels have an offset of 33. I'm assuming that is a minimum number required to clear the brake calipers. Do I have that right?

In order to use wheels with an offset of less than 33 would I have to use spacers? Is using spacers an acceptable solution?

The other spec I have seen is bore. How does that play into choosing a wheel?

Thanks.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by shtaka
I want to replace the 21" OEM wheels on my SQ5 with 20" inch wheels because I need all season tires and there aren't in the 21" size. I've got a couple of questions that somebody may be able to answer.

1 -Other than for offset, will all Audi OEM wheels fit across model lines? e.g. will a 20" S6 wheel fit on my SQ5?

2 - I know my current wheels have an offset of 33. I'm assuming that is a minimum number required to clear the brake calipers. Do I have that right?

3 - In order to use wheels with an offset of less than 33 would I have to use spacers? Is using spacers an acceptable solution?

The other spec I have seen is bore. How does that play into choosing a wheel?

Thanks.

1 - No, not all Audi wheels will work. There are different bore sizes.

2 - Wheel offset has nothing to do with clearing brake calipers.

3 - Wheels with an offset less than 33 (a smaller number) will move the wheel further out. If you use a wheel with a higher offset and the wheel sits further in, then use of a spacer is acceptable. But there are other considerations if you go that route..
Old 06-30-2018, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewmr
1 - No, not all Audi wheels will work. There are different bore sizes.

2 - Wheel offset has nothing to do with clearing brake calipers.

3 - Wheels with an offset less than 33 (a smaller number) will move the wheel further out. If you use a wheel with a higher offset and the wheel sits further in, then use of a spacer is acceptable. But there are other considerations if you go that route..
Agree for the most part. A wheel has to be tested by someone to have the clearance for the brakes, drivetrain parts, and suspension on the inside, and the fenders and fender liners on the outside. We list tested 21" wheels that go as far as 9" wide and 30ET that still fit. It just depends on the wheel. Once you get into spacers on wheels that have offsets too high, you open up a whole new jar on load bearing changes, correct length mounting bolts, hub centering flanges on the spacer, etc.

Anything we list on our site has been tested and confirmed to fit correctly without spacers. We include the correct hardware to install also.
Old 07-01-2018, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damon,
Any insight on using a 265/40/21 tire on OEM SQ5 wheels?