Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Why do they put weights on the lip of rims? Why not behind the face of the rim?

Old 11-19-1998, 06:46 PM
Gus

Default Why do they put weights on the lip of rims? Why not behind the face of the rim?

Old 11-20-1998, 04:26 AM
klutes

Default Good Question. Tire store scratched all 4 of mine removing weights.

Old 11-20-1998, 07:46 AM
Warren Wang

Default What I was told

I was told by a guy at Discount Tire (one well respected by the Dallas autocross community), was that not everyone has the machine to balance on the inside, and that it takes more weight.<p>98.5 Wett RamAir'ed Santorin Blue 2.8QMS
Old 11-20-1998, 08:22 AM
Bill Shaffer

Default Just do it

I've been hearing that for years,and have been firmly requesting inside balancing. It started with me when they gave me Dark gray weights on my brushed silver wheels. Increases unsprung weight? More likely to fall off? I've nver noticed either.<p>Bill
Old 11-20-1998, 09:43 AM
Jim Murphy

Default Inside wheel weights

I remember quite a few years back; I was at some tire place and requested the weights be put on the inside of the wheel. The "kid" looks at me like I have three heads and then starts spouting some jibberish about how the whole geometry of the wheel would be thrown off if the weights were put on the inside. I thought I'd die laughing over that one! It's amazing what people will tell you to dissuade you so they can take the easy way out.
Old 11-21-1998, 12:17 AM
Kirk

GARY, perhaps you have some input, clarification on the rumours? thx.
Old 11-21-1998, 10:47 AM
randall

Default Re: What I was told--agreed-more info

same thing told to my by my mechanic. With his machine, he can actually choose where he is going to mount the weight, then the machine tells him how much is required.<p>Further more, while this machine is more expensive, also if u put the weight some where else u have to stick it on. The clamp on type weights work well in all weather. For the sticky weights, my mechanic recommended (and i use) duct tape to ensure they stay fastened through power washes, winter, etc.<p>If u do use clamp on weights, ask for "coated" weights. They seem to damage the rim less.<p>1996 a4 2.8 qms
Old 11-21-1998, 08:05 PM
Neil Weinstock

Default Tire Rack always puts'em on the inside

I asked one of their guys on the phone about this<br>recently. He said that they *always* put the<br>weights on the inside, and that there was no<br>reason not to.<p>I can certainly say i never had a problem with<br>the snow tire wheel and tire package I had from<br>them.