Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Winter Tire Selection

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-1998, 10:05 AM
Patrick MacDiarmid

Default Winter Tire Selection

I've got a winter tire dilemma. Basically I don't want winter to eat my rims. I'm planning on going with a 195/65R15 winter tire/steel rim wheel package, but which tires? Or is downsizing a mistake? I don't want to sacrifice too much handling but I don't want to end up in a ditch either. Just wondering if anyone has any valid experience with the Blizzaks, Guardexs, or Graspics. Ice isn't that big an issue here. They're going on a 98 2.8 quattro. Thanks
Old 11-05-1998, 12:14 PM
John

Default Re: Dunlop Winter Sport M2's?

After reading all I could in the archives, I chose the Dunlop Winter Sport M2's on 15" rims to complement my stock Dunlop 8000's. I believe in the 195/65/15 size they are "T" rated, which is just shy of "H". I live in New England, where we get an odd bad storm with a lot of dry pavement in between. Mine are coming from Tire Rack. Sorry, no first hand experience yet. The general archives are fairly rich on this subject.
Old 11-05-1998, 12:18 PM
Marcin R.

Default Re: Winter Tire Selection

Well, downsizing is a good idea. You want a narrower tire with a higher side wall to dig through snow. Traction in winter is not about the size of the contact patch, but how well you can get through the snow to the harder stuff below. Just look at any footage from the Swedish rallies. Skinny and tall tires with studs.<p>Do not get Blizzaks or any of these so called "ice" tires! A proper snow tire will accept studs to cope with ice. They will be useless in about a season and a half. Get a real snow tire, like a Nikian Haka 1 (and they are studable). There was a post yesterday with a picture that showed the tread AFTER 14,000 miles. I compared that to my brand new ones and it looks almost the same depth.<p>Marcin R.<br>---<br>'98.5 A4 1.8Tqms
Old 11-05-1998, 02:58 PM
spudman

Default Re: Dunlop Winter Sport M2's?

John - would appreciate any comments you have on the dry, wet or snow performance of these tires. Snow hasn't hit Indy yet, but it shouldn't be too much longer and I'm looking for a winter set...<p><p>Cheers!<p><p>Spud
Old 11-06-1998, 06:03 AM
richardb

Default also chose Winter Sports...

...on 15 inch rims from Tire Rack. Haven't mounted them yet and we haven't had snow yet in NJ, so nothing to report.<p>Chose these mostly to limit the dry handling trade-off since ice and snow are the exception not the rule here. Narrowed my choice to the Pirelli 210 Asymettrico, the Mich. Arctic/Alpin, and the Dunlop. Then the Tire Rack guy tried to talk me into the new (supposedly improved) Blizzaks. I resisted.<p>Would probably have gotten the Pirellis if they came in 195/65-15, but I think the Dunlops should be fine from everything I've heard.<p>richardb<br>96 2.8 QM
Old 11-06-1998, 07:29 AM
John

Default Re: Dunlop Winter Sport M2's? Not quite yet.

Spud:<br>Unfortunately, no experience on the Winter Sport M2's yet. The 'Rack sent out the wrong Dunlops (Graspix?), so my new winter wheels are out on the back porch awaiting a round trip to Indiana to pick up the right rubber. I hope to be able to report my driving experience within a couple of weeks.
Old 11-06-1998, 12:48 PM
AndyN

Default Which 15" rims from Tire Rack ? Alloy?

I would like to stay alloy 'cause the winter here is long (new england) but the Tire Rack ones I've seen so far (Oz Diamond) don't grab me. I understand they do offer a 5-spoke knock-off (though not speedline), also. Which way did you go?<br>
Old 11-06-1998, 03:46 PM
Doug H

Default Re: Winter Tire Selection

I have Blizzaks on my S4 (third year) and I hate 'em. REALLY awful on dry pavement, but truly great if you never see pavement. <p>My A4 has Michelin Alpin's which are pretty nice all around. The Nokkia's are heavy-duty snow, but very noisy on dry pavement BTDT.<p>Also trying Dunlop (Graspic's) on my Miata this winter, and my daughter has Firestone Winterhawks on her Sentra SE-R (good snow traction, zero handling).<p>I'd recommend the Michelins or the Pirelli 210's if you care about handling over snow traction.<br>
Old 11-07-1998, 02:29 PM
spudman

Default Re: Dunlop Winter Sport M2's? Not quite yet.

Cool! We're waiting with baited breath....<p><p>Good luck!<p><p>spud
Old 11-09-1998, 05:23 AM
John

Default Yes, Alloy.

Well, I wanted alloys, but I really wanted to go on the cheap. The O.Z. Diamonds were sold out when I called. I went with OZ Mitos ($89) but I don't think they have any more of those currently either. I like them. They look fairly similar, I think, so if you don't care for the looks of one . . . Another I considered is the Mille Miglia Fabula, still on the inexpensive side.