Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

winter tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-1998, 05:45 AM
Ash

Default Re: winter tires

Thanks for your info....could I ask why you chose the Yokohamas? I'm assuming you're going to use them with your stock rims right?<p>Good luck with your car, you're gonna love it!<p>-Ash 98.75 Silver 1.8TQMS
Old 11-05-1998, 06:20 AM
AndyD

My Winter 210A's are 195/65/15's. The only place I was able to find that size was from Ronal direct. After I shopped around locally, it became pretty clear that I could order a set of 15 inch tires mounted on nice R-26's for just a little more than 16" winter tires alone. The prices I was getting for most winter tires, including mounting, balancing and tax, were typically well over $600. <p>As far as performance, the Pirelli's are nowhere near as "sloppy" in dry conditions as Blizzaks. They're also noticeably firmer and better feeling than the Guardex's on our other cars. The only downside compared to my 17" summer package is the expected loss of steering feel. I'm sure there are also big tradeoffs at the handling limits but I haven't really tested that yet. Once we start getting some real snow, I'm sure we'll all see some posts regarding winter tire performance in snow and ice.<p>Andy
Old 11-09-1998, 07:52 AM
TGB

Hi Ash.<p>I chose the Yokohamas for two reasons:<p>1) I thought that, when only comparing the 'softer' snow tires, all were about the same and I could not really go wrong. (Of course excluding the Blizzaks which I did not even price out)<p>2) I moved away from the Pirelli Asimetricos because we do not have freeways were I live and I only travel on highways periodically in the winter. For that reason, I could justify a a tire with a lower speed rating and maybe better ice/snow traction which is what I will need most of the time.<p>Because of these two points, I went for a softer tire. The dealer I was comfortable with recommended the Yokohamas. (The dealer also sold Graspics, Alpins, and Pirelli Winter Ice and still recommended hte Yokohamas)<p>I actually purchased Audi steel rims through the dealer. They were about $65 (Canadian) each. I thought that was a pretty good deal and my stock rims will be protected. <p>I hope this helps!<p>TGB 1999 1.8T qMS (In port in Halifax)