Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Winter wheel question...is there any benefit from using Alloy vs Steel?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2001, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter wheel question...is there any benefit from using Alloy vs Steel?

I don't know if this is a stupid question or not but...will alloy wheels last longer than steel wheels or is the difference negligible? Any other points that I need to address?
Old 11-15-2001, 10:45 PM

Default Alloy wheels are lighter than Steel wheels. You may notice that the car rides nicer on Alloy wheels

due to the difference in wheel weight.
Lighter wheels can respond quicker to suspension movements, and therefore the car's ride quality should be better on alloy wheels (assuming all else is equal).

I have heard that the heavier wheels may stress suspension items, such as shocks/struts more than lighter wheels, maybe resulting in shocks/struts wearing out faster(?). Maybe someone else can confirm if that is true or not.

I've also heard that steel wheels may bend or get damaged from potholes easier than alloy wheels, although I suspect that it would depend on the strength of the alloy wheel in the comparison. Again, maybe someone else can confirm or refute this(?).
I can tell you that I drove in Buffalo NY winters for more than 10-years, on both steel wheels and alloy wheels, and I hit a LOT of potholes. I never dented or bent an alloy wheel, but I did bend a few steel wheels. Thats not a conclusive test, but was an indicator to me that the steel wheels were generally not as strong as alloy wheels. (I also noticed a difference in ride quality when the same tires on the same car were mounted on alloy versus steel wheels).

Just picking up a steel wheel / tire combo, compared to an alloy wheel / tire combo, you will notice the weight difference. That alone is enough for me to avoid the steel wheels.

I think most people will tell you that you always want to reduce unsprung weight whenever possible.

But who knows, maybe the tire pressure ***** on this board will disagree with everything I've said.
Old 11-16-2001, 06:10 AM

Default Agreed. Alloy better performer & visual appeal

The steel wheels simply present you (where they fit) with a good basic get-you-by winter option for a replacement, although the trend by auto mfrs within the past few years beig bigger is better is precluding you form down sizing as well, where an alloy wheel is mandatory (like the S4 for example).

Hope this helps. Dave makes great points, so what he said too

Call me if I can help you with an order!

Eddie
Old 11-19-2001, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Do steel wheels protect your suspension since they would bend, unlike alloy rims? I'd rather have

my rims bend instead of my suspension. Actually, I am trying to decide what winter rims to get myself, and this is something I am considering...
Old 11-23-2001, 08:27 PM

Default I don't think so. I think you would always want alloy wheels. But alloy wheels cost more.

The only time I have ever heard anything about soft (or bendable ?) wheels protecting the suspension is in regard to OE wheels on the RS4, and that info was sent out by Audi. I think a lot of people question the reality in that info from Audi. My engineer friends tell me that the soft wheels on the RS4 being intentionally soft was a bunch of crap, and that the wheels should be as strong as possible.
I was told that the wheels are NOT there to "protect" the suspension.

My opinion is that you should get alloy wheels, and avoid the steel wheels, unless you absolutely need to save the money.