AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b5-platform-discussion-1/)
-   -   Cheated by the Audi Dealer (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b5-platform-discussion-1/cheated-audi-dealer-31600/)

marshall11 04-02-2000 08:48 PM

But the rudeness is uncalled for...

uclaboy 04-02-2000 08:51 PM

Re: Bite the Bullet!

The reason i'm so passionate about this situation is that i negotiated a deal 500$ over invoice. And this was the dealer's absolute mistake, yet the consumer (me) is getting screwed over for their idiotic ( I forgot to add the price for leather) excuse. I was considering the BMW or the AUDI... after this, i dont think i can handle another audi dealer. I've visited four dealerships before coming to the current one. I've given up.
But thank you for everyone's input. I really appreciate it.

uclaboy 04-02-2000 10:00 PM

Re: Hope someone has more compassion for you r human errors...

I understand where you're coming from, but you have to understand where i am coming from. They are still making a $500 profit. The only reason they are not selling the car and holding their integrity is the fact that they know they can sell the car for more if they cancel my deal with them. As a person informed me, this action is illegal- Uniform Commercial Code.
Negotiations all come down to who gets the upper hand. Salespeople play tricks with the consumer in order to get the upper hand. But integrity becomes an issue. I would happily pay for the leather price, yet their attitude toward this situation is unacceptable. They are not willing to accept their own fault. Instead they are insisting that I pay for their mistake. I do have compassion for human error, yet i have no sympathy for people who do not take responsibility for their own mistakes.

Marshall Penniford 04-02-2000 10:07 PM

It sounds like it was YOUR mistake...

you want to just get leather without paying for it? They forgot to charge you so you think you should get it for free?

Or do you think they are trying to pull a fast one on you?

In either case, you should have looked at the numbers more carefully.

Pay for the leather. Good luck.

tdf 04-02-2000 10:17 PM

You think BMW dealer will be less arrogant? Ha!

I couldn't believe the BMW arrogance, especially the San Francisco dealership. And they speak of price breaks in terms of dollars off MSRP instead of dollars tacked onto invoice - meaning the more options you order, the more money they make! Both these dealer types will tell you the cars are flying off the lot, or are sold before they arrive - and it's largely true, at least in many communities.

The BMW dealer will have 50 additional ways to rip you off, since every interesting option costs extra on BMWs. It's even hard to compare the 4 models - 323/328 coupe/sedan - because they each have their own slightly different set of standard features and options and packages. It's totally maddening.

There is only ONE reason for complexity, and it is to separate the consumer from his money. The more money involved, the more complications are added because everyone wants a piece of the major action. Hence the complications of home buying, of car leasing, and of the financial markets, where only people with a major time and effort investment can come out on top and the rest of us get taken to the cleaner.

What I especially liked about Audi is how few options there are, and how all the options are factory, not dealer (dealer options are guaranteed to lose you money, since there are no reference invoice prices to offer you any pricing guidelines at all).

Given how simple the Audi options are, it is absurd that they messed up. You guys obviously weren't working with anything on paper - you thought you had a great deal and he thought he had one cause he didn't think leather was part of the deal! What kind of negotiating is this when you were each negotiating for a different car? It's a real mess.

Frankly, if you can start over with him and get the car for $1200 over invoice - same as carorder.com - consider it a good deal. That's what I'd suggest.

udaman 04-02-2000 10:28 PM

Re: Cheated by the Audi Dealer

I would not by any other car at that dealer. they did you a favor now you know what kind of dealership you would be dealing with. Go to another dealership. write this one OFF.

stanj 04-02-2000 10:38 PM

Exactly same happened to me

The dealer forgot to add the leather. But, somewhere at the top it said "x% over invoice" and so the deal was re-done to his liking, with me little to be said. If he didn't write that but rather had written the final price and signed it, I / you could have taken them to court and probably won.

- Stan

jtobins 04-02-2000 11:10 PM

Issues with Brookline Volkswagen Audi...

I too have felt like I have been cheated by an Audi dealer. I bought a 2000 A4 2.8Q from Brookline Volkswagen Audi, in Brookline MA, and the owner's son sold me a car, and then neglected to install the Audi CD changer. When I called, I was placed on hold and then he never came back. It was only when I brought my car in for a service problem for the 4th time, did they honor the original promise of the changer. I feel they honored it simply to try and placate an enraged new owner. The fact that it ended up taking 5 times back for service to fix an alignment problem, a faulty ashtray has yet to be corrected.
Moral of the story? Audi's are great cars. Aside from the minor problems, the car gives me the greatest excitement each time I drive it. Just beware of dealers. A car dealer is a car dealer, whether he's wearing a cheap suit, or an Audi embossed shirt...

Regl 04-03-2000 02:09 AM

Gee, and here I thought it was American way to take advantage of a situation like this...

If you are quoted a price, that is the price you pay. Businesses need to honor their mistakes, or have some disclaimers. We shouldn't have to be bothered by double checking their work for accuracy. When the dealer wrote up figures on my car, they wrote "subject to change". If UCLABoy has in writing without a "subject to change" type of note/disclaimer, then that dealer needs to honor that. And maybe next time they will learn how to add now that they lost some $. Learn from mistakes.

Look, Buy.Com did. About a year ago, they lost like $100,000 becuase an error on the website showed some product for an incorrect price. They honored it! And lost a hell of a lot more $ than the $1000 that dealer would. They learned from it too, the next day they had disclaimers all over.

Sorry...just ranting about companies trampling all over us, cause they can. IMO - That dealer is not going to budge, try BS'in the manager into meeting you halfway on the leather. Bring up AOA, reputation, how bad news gets around, things that may have an impact on them. They don't care about selling you that car, they just want to keep a good reputation for future customers.

Have fun and good luck to ya.

-Regl

Wedge 04-03-2000 02:44 AM

The mistake was on both parties...

Never go into a dealership without knowing what the car you want costs the dealer.