AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b7-platform-discussion-69/)
-   -   Frustrated New A4 Owner (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b7-platform-discussion-69/frustrated-new-a4-owner-2678821/)

thenicholster 04-13-2008 09:36 PM

True. The Sex mode does make it more normal.

the normal drive feels slow as ****... for a chipless 2.0t due to the CVT

tubi 04-13-2008 11:49 PM

I have the Tip.

tubi 04-13-2008 11:50 PM

But it's a fuel miser's car in Drive mode.

scoobycarolan 04-14-2008 04:05 AM

Here's my attempt.

1) Audi's are kinda tame. I had 2 B6s with tip and I just purchased my B7 with 6 spd 3 months ago. Honestly, keep it in S unless the weather sucks and adjust your driving to stay heavy on the gas. I never had a problem with a Tip in seven years of flogging it. Still not good enough? Consider a supercharger! There are a couple of owners on the B6 board that say it was worth every penny.

2) Many folks with 2.0s report having startup issues with cars that have FSI. I don't know anything about this generations 6 cyl as I am new to the model, but the advice most frequently given is to turn the key to On. You can hear the fuel system pressurize and then turn the engine over. Without a more detailed report, it's tough to diagnose. Again, I don't know too much about the six cylinder.

3) Wow, ****ty luck. I almost had the same thing happen but I has able to fish the quarter out before it went all the way through. There are many sites that sell genuine parts at a discount, but I'd be worried that a short may have caused more damage than the LED board. try genuineaudiparts.com and search for the part number of the board. Good luck on that one. If the replacement board doesn't fix it.... Ouch

Consider purchasing a Ross-Tech Vag-Com. It's an OBD-to-USB cable and software. It can pull the error codes from your car and help you troubleshoot issues. For $120 it will most likely pay for itself quickly. It will definitely help you troubleshoot the start up issue. You can also do some neat tricks like shut off the seatbelt chime and more.

All-in-all these are fantastic cars. They can have their issues and they are very different than whats generally out on the market. All of the members of this board are a unique breed. We love the fact that our Audi's stand out in a world full of Hondas, BMWs, and the like. So we stick together and try to help each other out as much as possible. Your first 2 issues really may have more to do with getting used to this unique car. The latter, well that could have happened to any car. Good luck and welcome!

maaliish 04-14-2008 08:32 AM

I have a 3.2A4 with similar issues.

Hard start issue is more apparent in the winter. I've had it for close to a year now. It has no negative effect on car's performance so its not that big of a deal to me but it would be nice to see it fixed. Car is going into the dealer tomorrow but I'm not sure how/if it gets resolved.

Hesitation is due to automatic trans selecting a gear. You kinda learn to live with it. You can keep it in sport mode and that will help somewhat but short of a software change on the trans, I'm not sure if anything will fix it. I don't think its a drive by wire issue.

I wouldn't sweat over these problems.

LunarDDS 04-14-2008 08:34 AM

yep, d mode cvt shifts so quickly you never get to feel any power...

put the baby in s and you better be ready.

UberVier 04-14-2008 09:49 AM

shifter issue is that you lost the magnet that tells the ecu it's in tip mode...

there are a series of magnets and if you lose one or they aren't lined up properly, no tip mode.

skrichte 04-14-2008 04:24 PM

Re: I have a 3.2A4 with similar issues.

maaliish--
Thanks for the advice. Let me know what they find out at the dealer regarding your starting issues. I am sending mine to the dealer tomorrow and would like them to dive right into the problem if you find out what it is. Thanks!
-Steve

skrichte 04-14-2008 04:44 PM

Re: Here's my attempt.

scoobycarolan --
I want to personally thank you for your detailed response. It definitely makes me have a better perception of my car as a whole.

Response to 1--I did try the "S" sport mode and it works very well. However, I am sure it eats gas mileage since it appears to rev much higher at speeds lower than 55 mph. Also, I am not sure I am a big fan of the "assisted braking" feature when you take your foot off the gas, since it is reving so high. Nonetheless, I appreciate it.

Response to 2--I have tried the key "on" trick and it doesn't seem to help much. I will be taking it into the dealer unfortunately for a nice penny. I just can't stand that it doesn't not start properly. One time it starts right up (but revs very high until I shift to drive), other times it barely turns over and creeps up to normal idle, and other times it just sits and chugs like it wants to turn over but never does. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Response to 3. Yeah, the LED's are burnt out for the P and R and the tiptronic doesn't work at all. The guage cluster on the dash is stagnant and just reads P, R, N, D, S. Not so cool, but it continues to work properly. I will see if I can get a replacement, but I don't know if I trust myself again putting it in.

Overall, it is a wonderful car and I drool everytime I walk up to it. I just wonder how such a well designed car can have such major flaws.

BTW, does anyone know where to get the stock 5 spoke slotted rims chrome edition? I like the rims, just want them to bling a bit more. Thanks,
Steve

skrichte 04-14-2008 04:55 PM

Re: shifter issue is that you lost the magnet that tells the ecu it's in tip mode...

How can I figure out if the magnets are off? Where are they located? Just to recap, quarter go stuck in shifter, and moved forward up to "Park" not in the tiptronic piece. I did take off the bezel and removed the ECU board, in which I must have burnt out the P and R LED's. Any advice would be apreciated. Thx.