A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Frustrated New A4 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 06:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frustrated New A4 Owner

I purchased my used '06 A4 3.2 Quattro no more than a month a go and it seems to be a magnet for problems. Since I am a rookie Audi owner, I have posted a few questions I would appreciate a veteran B7 A4 response. I truly appreciate your time!
--Initial throttle response seems really slow. I feel as if I need to press the pedal down nearly a quarter of the way to get it traveling. I don't know if this is due to the quattro needing to kick in? But I have not had any vehicle which responded so slowly. Please advise.
--Vehicle does not turn over properly when starting. Sometimes the vehicle starts right up, other times it takes a moment, other times it doesn't turn over at all and makes a noise as if it wants to--but doesn't. However, if I wait a few seconds after initially trying to start, it will then start right up. Looking for a reasoning so I can get fixed right the first time and not pay a large amount at the dealer.
--Finally, I have the luck of a quarter falling directly into the shifting **** area. Lucky for me, I had to take off the trim(wood grain) and the silver trim area to finally get out the lodged quarter. In the process, I saw a brief spark on the circuit board (which illuminates the P, R, D, etc). Now, the "P" and "R" no longer light, my tip tronic will not shift, and the instrument cluster does not change and only shows P R N D. Long story short, I must have inadvertenly caused a short in that little ciruit board. It easy to remove with just a pull and its is dislodged from its base. Where can I find a circuit board at a reasonable price? I am assuming I do not need a unique circuit board for my car and I can just plug it in.

Thank you greatly for your time to respond. I hope it will save me a few thousand dollars from skipping the dealer's hourly rate.

-Steve
Old 04-13-2008, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Frustrated New A4 Owner

Did you buy a Certified Pre-owned? If so just take it to an Audi dealer and have it checked out. If its still under factory warranty, do the same.

Throttle response: Drive-by-wire system may be causing this and it is what it is. Have it checked out anyway.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Frustrated New A4 Owner

Hey Stl4
My vehicle is unfortunately NOT under warranty. Long story short, my vehicle started smoking on the freeway because my ignition coils burnt out and caused my fuse box to smoke. So needless to say, my experience has not been a good one since purchase. I have 63k mi on a '06--yeah a lot. But for the price, I couldn't go wrong. Now I am beginning to wonder. Thank you for answering my throttle question. Any advice on the other two?

Any additional advice for other owners is appreciated!!!

-Steve
Old 04-13-2008, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

find someone who can vag-com/scan it for you to help diagnose.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: find someone who can vag-com/scan it for you to help diagnose.

Search for "coilpack failure" and see if those symptoms are the same as yours.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Can you please explain "vag-com/scan?" I am assuming it means to run a diagnostic check, but I am questioning who can do it? Can a local import shop do it? Or does it have to be at a Audi dealership with special tools?

I appreciate your responses Stl4. It has probably saved me $$$ already.

If you have AOL IM, I can be reached at uwrichter11 or email: skrichter@gmail.com

Thx,

-Steve
Old 04-13-2008, 06:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am not sure if I mentioned it, but I did have ignitiion coil failure and they were replaced along with the fuse box (which began smoking). Should I search on this website or Google? Thx.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:33 PM

Default search this and see if anyone is close to your location.

<ul><li><a href="http://vag-tool.kicks-***.net/locator.aspx">http://vag-tool.kicks-***.net/locator.aspx</a</li></ul>
Old 04-13-2008, 07:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default the throttle will be a lot of sensitive in "S" sport mode...

and am i smelling a lemon?
Old 04-13-2008, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It's normal with a slushbox.

Don't get me wrong... I have a slushbox so I know.

Quick Reply: Frustrated New A4 Owner