AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b9-platform-discussion-212/)
-   -   Traffic light display (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b9-platform-discussion-212/traffic-light-display-2944819/)

jeffj2h 03-15-2018 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by clr1945 (Post 25124187)
I haven't seen the green light anywhere in DC. But unless it's in the dead of night, it probably wouldn't make much difference, since it's other drivers who control the speed.

say you are going 50mph down a street and the green light icon pops up and says “35mph”. You could slow to 35 so you avoid having to come to a Stop at the red light.

clr1945 03-16-2018 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by jeffj2h (Post 25124283)

say you are going 50mph down a street and the green light icon pops up and says “35mph”. You could slow to 35 so you avoid having to come to a Stop at the red light.

I could, unless the drivers in front of me are doing 25.

FLkiwi 03-19-2018 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by jeffj2h (Post 25124283)

This would be the first feature I've seen which would justify the cost of Audi Connect. I never need to remote-unlock my car, or track what speed it's driving, or any of that stuff, but something which helps stopping/starting at lights would be worthwhile.

insanefreak 03-24-2018 03:54 AM

Downtown Palo Alto

Originally Posted by caranddriver (Post 25123841)
The DC rollout has made the news today. It is hard to find the cities where this V2I functionality is available. I saw Frisco, TX and some other cities. Nothing in the SF Bay Area - sad, considering the area is considered such the world's leading tech region. I doubt I'll see this functionality around me by the time my Audi Connect Prime runs out.

the system works in downtown Palo Alto

lexsynergy 03-24-2018 06:33 AM

does anyone know how to code it with obdeleven? i don't even have the traffic display

Jackhyde 03-26-2018 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by caranddriver (Post 25123841)
The DC rollout has made the news today. It is hard to find the cities where this V2I functionality is available. I saw Frisco, TX and some other cities. Nothing in the SF Bay Area - sad, considering the area is considered such the world's leading tech region. I doubt I'll see this functionality around me by the time my Audi Connect Prime runs out.

I saw this feature pop up while I was driving in downtown San Francisco. Don't remember exactly which street I was on.

clr1945 05-04-2018 09:15 AM

I wonder if Audi is paying any attention to its own website. Under Audi Connect® Services, clicking on the Traffic Light information link brings up the information that the service is currently available in Las Vegas. While that is likely true (although I don't have any personal experience), it is also available in a number of other cities as evidenced by the entries above. Wouldn't it be in Audi's interest to keep the list up to date?

caranddriver 05-04-2018 06:33 PM

I came across the lights in Palo Alto. There are some in downtown and some on El Camino Real. I tried the ones in downtown and they weren't all that useful because I could not get the information on the next light fast enough, but it wouldn't have mattered because these are the lights that are timed where you make it across two streets (if lucky) and then the lights turn. I'll have to try the smart lights on the 2 miles stretch of El Camino Real to see if they work better, the lights will be much farther apart. I took photos of the dash to show what the function looked like as it counted down. Since the light info is buried in a sub screen, I don't know how you would know if your car was talking to infrastructure and getting light data if not on that screen.

I spoke with a coworker of mine who is a transportation expert/spokesperson at my employer and talked about my experience where the light information lagged the actual signal. Turned green before the countdown finished on the display. He said Audi is using 4G cellular to get the light information to the car which is responsible for the lag. There is currently a debate between using future 5G cellular and DSRC technology for V2X communication.

I think it i pretty exciting to have a car that is on the cutting edge of V2X communication and smart roadway, and living in a place that it is actually in trial.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...793912f7c2.jpg