AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-c7-platform-discussion-194/)
-   -   2016 2.0 PP+ or 3.0 V6 Prestige? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-c7-platform-discussion-194/2016-2-0-pp-3-0-v6-prestige-2886415/)

hawke94 07-19-2015 04:27 PM

2016 2.0 PP+ or 3.0 V6 Prestige?

I'm deciding between a 2.0 PP+ with Bose, Cold Weather, Warm Weather, S-Line, and LED Headlight packages for $50,600 and a 3.0 V6 Prestige with S-Line package for $58,132, after all discounts. I've calculated a monthly payment difference between the two to be $170 for 4 years for a total of $8,172, which is about right. Is the difference worth it to pay the extra for the 3.0 Prestige? As of now, I'm leaning toward the 2.0 because of the lower purchase price and future cost of ownership, mainly gas. What else should I consider?

I know there were issues with oil consumption and carbon build-up in the old 2.0 engine but I'm not sure if Audi has fixed those with this new engine. Another complication is that the 2.0 is currently on a ship, expected to arrive in 4 weeks, give or take. I'm coming from a 2010 Q5 which my wife's friend has agreed to purchase faster than I anticipated.

Any advice and suggestions much appreciated!

AudioBear 07-19-2015 04:38 PM

Only you know your budget and willingness to pay but if the 3.0 is within the realm of reality, I'd go for it. The economy isn't that different unless you really dip into the extra power in the 3.0--it's caused mainly by the weight difference. In return for the extra cost the 3.0 TFSI is silky smooth and instantly responsive. It propels the relatively heavy A6 so much more effortlessly than the 2.0. I opted for the A6 TDI which I am totally happy with but if I was buying a gas burner, I'd go for the 3.0.

snagitseven 07-19-2015 06:23 PM

There's a fun factor with the 3.0T that to me was worth every penny of difference. Just knowing that power is there when you want it is satisfying and when you decide it's time, it's spiritual. :)
If you can afford it, go for it. The extra weeks wait will be long forgotten down the road.

terrapingrad88 07-20-2015 04:37 AM

I would vote for the 2.0T Quattro. My 2016 A6 PP+ with advanced technology has decent pickup. It has averaged 26.3 MPG in 50/50 city and insterstate driving - not bad. I like the engine and start/stop which appears to hel city mileage.

One negative - I am experiencing some oil consumption with about 5,000 miles on the odometer - on my second quart. I will have the dealer address this at my upcoming service appointment.

You might want to read posts on the S Line and sports suspension. I regret terribly selecting this option, as the ride is unduly harsh and staff on pothole ladden city roads. One also experiences notable concrete seam bumps on interstates, too. My advice… Even with the 19 inch tires and all season rubber, avoid the sport suspension.

Fahrer 07-20-2015 05:20 AM

Here is an article on oil consumption issues with Audis, BMWs and others and it seems that the issues is being addressed?

Excessive Oil Consumption Isn't Normal - Consumer Reports

snagitseven 07-20-2015 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by terrapingrad88 (Post 24706865)
You might want to read posts on the S Line and sports suspension. I regret terribly selecting this option, as the ride is unduly harsh and staff on pothole ladden city roads. One also experiences notable concrete seam bumps on interstates, too. My advice… Even with the 19 inch tires and all season rubber, avoid the sport suspension.

And reading those threads, everyone else who posted that has the sport suspension disagrees with you.

Fahrer 07-20-2015 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by snagitseven (Post 24707038)
And reading those threads, everyone else who posted that has the sport suspension disagrees with you.

But a number of "expert" reviews outside this forum do caution about getting the S line sport package ( particularly with the 20 inch wheels) if one is concerned about the ride quality.

AudioBear 07-20-2015 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Fahrer (Post 24706878)
Here is an article on oil consumption issues with Audis, BMWs and others and it seems that the issues is being addressed?

Excessive Oil Consumption Isn't Normal - Consumer Reports

Thanks. Will read with interest. I broke in my 2014 A6 TDI with a composite plan created by listening to the service manager, and some refs from these and other pages. It almost does not use oil, so little in fact that I had begun to worry about it and asked the SM at the 25K check. He said it was fine if I could go 10K miles and be down less than a quart. I have never had to add oil between changes.

snagitseven 07-20-2015 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Fahrer (Post 24707041)
But a number of "expert" reviews outside this forum do caution about getting the S line sport package ( particularly with the 20 inch wheels) if one is concerned about the ride quality.

Perhaps, but those "experts" did a brief test drive junket for an article and yet most of our members who own and live with the sport suspension every day, in some cases since 2011, seemingly are pleased with the result. Not for everyone but I believe it's not in anyone's best interest to declare the sport package a non-starter. A proper test drive before purchase with the sport would provide the sniff test.

Fahrer 07-20-2015 01:41 PM

I have a 2008 Porsche Carrera S with 19 inch wheels. I very much do appreciate extreme handling capabilities and accept the downside in ride comfort for that car ( well worth it). For me it is definitely not worth putting up with bent rims, noisy tires, short tire life, expensive replacements and a poor ride for a daily driver. My previous DD was a 2008 BMW 535 with 6MT. To the surprise of many of my friends, I ordered the car with the normal suspension with all season tires. Guess what? It handled very well, no bent rims, no runflats for that year with the standard suspension, and the original tires lasted 55K miles for the rears and 75K miles for the fronts. My DD is currently a 2012 VW Touareg TDI. I am planning to replace it soon with a 2016 A6 P+ and it will definitely not have a sport suspension.