AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-c7-platform-discussion-194/)
-   -   2016 2.0 PP+ or 3.0 V6 Prestige? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-c7-platform-discussion-194/2016-2-0-pp-3-0-v6-prestige-2886415/)

hawke94 07-19-2015 04:27 PM

2016 2.0 PP+ or 3.0 V6 Prestige?

I'm deciding between a 2.0 PP+ with Bose, Cold Weather, Warm Weather, S-Line, and LED Headlight packages for $50,600 and a 3.0 V6 Prestige with S-Line package for $58,132, after all discounts. I've calculated a monthly payment difference between the two to be $170 for 4 years for a total of $8,172, which is about right. Is the difference worth it to pay the extra for the 3.0 Prestige? As of now, I'm leaning toward the 2.0 because of the lower purchase price and future cost of ownership, mainly gas. What else should I consider?

I know there were issues with oil consumption and carbon build-up in the old 2.0 engine but I'm not sure if Audi has fixed those with this new engine. Another complication is that the 2.0 is currently on a ship, expected to arrive in 4 weeks, give or take. I'm coming from a 2010 Q5 which my wife's friend has agreed to purchase faster than I anticipated.

Any advice and suggestions much appreciated!

AudioBear 07-19-2015 04:38 PM

Only you know your budget and willingness to pay but if the 3.0 is within the realm of reality, I'd go for it. The economy isn't that different unless you really dip into the extra power in the 3.0--it's caused mainly by the weight difference. In return for the extra cost the 3.0 TFSI is silky smooth and instantly responsive. It propels the relatively heavy A6 so much more effortlessly than the 2.0. I opted for the A6 TDI which I am totally happy with but if I was buying a gas burner, I'd go for the 3.0.

snagitseven 07-19-2015 06:23 PM

There's a fun factor with the 3.0T that to me was worth every penny of difference. Just knowing that power is there when you want it is satisfying and when you decide it's time, it's spiritual. :)
If you can afford it, go for it. The extra weeks wait will be long forgotten down the road.

terrapingrad88 07-20-2015 04:37 AM

I would vote for the 2.0T Quattro. My 2016 A6 PP+ with advanced technology has decent pickup. It has averaged 26.3 MPG in 50/50 city and insterstate driving - not bad. I like the engine and start/stop which appears to hel city mileage.

One negative - I am experiencing some oil consumption with about 5,000 miles on the odometer - on my second quart. I will have the dealer address this at my upcoming service appointment.

You might want to read posts on the S Line and sports suspension. I regret terribly selecting this option, as the ride is unduly harsh and staff on pothole ladden city roads. One also experiences notable concrete seam bumps on interstates, too. My advice… Even with the 19 inch tires and all season rubber, avoid the sport suspension.

Fahrer 07-20-2015 05:20 AM

Here is an article on oil consumption issues with Audis, BMWs and others and it seems that the issues is being addressed?

Excessive Oil Consumption Isn't Normal - Consumer Reports

snagitseven 07-20-2015 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by terrapingrad88 (Post 24706865)
You might want to read posts on the S Line and sports suspension. I regret terribly selecting this option, as the ride is unduly harsh and staff on pothole ladden city roads. One also experiences notable concrete seam bumps on interstates, too. My advice… Even with the 19 inch tires and all season rubber, avoid the sport suspension.

And reading those threads, everyone else who posted that has the sport suspension disagrees with you.

Fahrer 07-20-2015 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by snagitseven (Post 24707038)
And reading those threads, everyone else who posted that has the sport suspension disagrees with you.

But a number of "expert" reviews outside this forum do caution about getting the S line sport package ( particularly with the 20 inch wheels) if one is concerned about the ride quality.

AudioBear 07-20-2015 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Fahrer (Post 24706878)
Here is an article on oil consumption issues with Audis, BMWs and others and it seems that the issues is being addressed?

Excessive Oil Consumption Isn't Normal - Consumer Reports

Thanks. Will read with interest. I broke in my 2014 A6 TDI with a composite plan created by listening to the service manager, and some refs from these and other pages. It almost does not use oil, so little in fact that I had begun to worry about it and asked the SM at the 25K check. He said it was fine if I could go 10K miles and be down less than a quart. I have never had to add oil between changes.

snagitseven 07-20-2015 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Fahrer (Post 24707041)
But a number of "expert" reviews outside this forum do caution about getting the S line sport package ( particularly with the 20 inch wheels) if one is concerned about the ride quality.

Perhaps, but those "experts" did a brief test drive junket for an article and yet most of our members who own and live with the sport suspension every day, in some cases since 2011, seemingly are pleased with the result. Not for everyone but I believe it's not in anyone's best interest to declare the sport package a non-starter. A proper test drive before purchase with the sport would provide the sniff test.

Fahrer 07-20-2015 01:41 PM

I have a 2008 Porsche Carrera S with 19 inch wheels. I very much do appreciate extreme handling capabilities and accept the downside in ride comfort for that car ( well worth it). For me it is definitely not worth putting up with bent rims, noisy tires, short tire life, expensive replacements and a poor ride for a daily driver. My previous DD was a 2008 BMW 535 with 6MT. To the surprise of many of my friends, I ordered the car with the normal suspension with all season tires. Guess what? It handled very well, no bent rims, no runflats for that year with the standard suspension, and the original tires lasted 55K miles for the rears and 75K miles for the fronts. My DD is currently a 2012 VW Touareg TDI. I am planning to replace it soon with a 2016 A6 P+ and it will definitely not have a sport suspension.

melland 07-20-2015 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by snagitseven (Post 24707075)
Perhaps, but those "experts" did a brief test drive junket for an article and yet most of our members who own and live with the sport suspension every day, in some cases since 2011, seemingly are pleased with the result. Not for everyone but I believe it's not in anyone's best interest to declare the sport package a non-starter. A proper test drive before purchase with the sport would provide the sniff test.

Totally agree here!

I think the poster who had all the A6 issues needs to be disregarded entirely - they clearly bought a car that was in no way the right car for them - a complaint around every corner. That person is clearly a BMW driver in the same way many of us wouldn't ever consider one. Stick with reading reviews from people who at the very least, prefer an Audi.

I keep my S-line A7 with 20" wheels in Dynamic drive mode and think the ride is just right. I've felt much harsher rides - this is perfect.

I think the only way to answer your question is to go drive a 2.0 and a 3.0.... only issue is after you drive the 3, I guarantee you won't pick the 2. :)

Pacapac 07-23-2015 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by hawke94 (Post 24706758)
I'm deciding between a 2.0 PP+ with Bose, Cold Weather, Warm Weather, S-Line, and LED Headlight packages for $50,600 and a 3.0 V6 Prestige with S-Line package for $58,132, after all discounts. I've calculated a monthly payment difference between the two to be $170 for 4 years for a total of $8,172, which is about right. Is the difference worth it to pay the extra for the 3.0 Prestige? As of now, I'm leaning toward the 2.0 because of the lower purchase price and future cost of ownership, mainly gas. What else should I consider?

I know there were issues with oil consumption and carbon build-up in the old 2.0 engine but I'm not sure if Audi has fixed those with this new engine. Another complication is that the 2.0 is currently on a ship, expected to arrive in 4 weeks, give or take. I'm coming from a 2010 Q5 which my wife's friend has agreed to purchase faster than I anticipated.

Any advice and suggestions much appreciated!

I recently changed my 2014 A6 P+ 2.0T quattro for a 2016 A6 quattro model with the exact equipment you mention. I was initially completely sure I was getting the 3.0 engine but ended up with the 2.0T engine again. The 3.0 is definitely better, faster, smoother, etc. But I was pleasantly surprised with the new 252hp 2.0T engine. It feels a lot faster and responsive than my 2014 model - Audi claims 0-60 in 5.8 sec against 6.6 sec of the 2014.

If money is not an issue I would pick the 3.0, but if you want to save some money and still have a great car I encourage you to test the 2.0. It is plenty fast and responsive when in “dynamic” or even “auto" mode. And there is little lag as long as you avoid comfort mode.

I am not sure about oil consumption in this new version of the 2.0 engine, but neither my 2013 A4, nor the 2014 A6 had problems of oil consumption. I do remember having to fill up once our 2011 A4.

If you test drive both and really want to go with the 3.0 but still want to save some money, you can always compromise in equipment by choosing a 3.0 P+ instead of the prestige. Similarly equipped, the difference in a lease between the 2.0 and 3.0 should be somewhere around $100.

Regarding the S-line sport package. I went from 18 inch wheels and regular suspension in the 2014 to 19 inch wheels and S-line sport package in the 2016 A6 and do not regret it at all. On the contrary, I like it a lot. To be frank, I do not feel a huge difference in ride comfort. Granted, I do probably 60-70% of my driving in the highway. And roads where I live are not so bad… But still, even driving through rough roads and small potholes it doesn’t feel bad at all. And the S-line exterior with the full LED lights look really great. I remember comparing my 2014 and the s-line 2016 side by side when picking the car at the dealer and there was a big difference, at least for me. (As opposed to many people here, I do think the new LED lights are really nice.) But in the end, the only way to know if you would like the sport suspension is to thoroughly test drive the car.

Clearance is my only concern with the sport suspension since I live in the Northeast and frequently drive during snowy days.

Best of luck!

luv2sleep 07-23-2015 09:58 AM

My first Audi was a Q5 with a 2.0T. The 2.0T is a great little engine that could but I wanted more torque/HP as I was used to power. Maybe it's a bit different on the A6-I can't say. After a year of owning the Q5, I traded it in for a '13 A6 Prestige with the Sport Package and I was in business! I'm used to a little firmer ride than usual and the roads here in SoCal are pretty decent. From the test drives, the sport package provided great handling with very little sacrifice in the ride. Everything is a toss up so it's all in personal preference. I also always go for the looks so the sports package with 20" tires and lowered sports suspension was a no brainer. Oh, those LED lights are pretty dang cool also; if you can get it, do it!
If you don't care too much about performance but still want a nicely equipped A6, get the 2.0T. Though the 2.0T is no slug, if you want to have a little fun once in a while on your daily drives, most definitely get the 3.0T; you won't regret it! I'd say, you could never have enough power, HP that is. Happy hunting!

Octobersown60 07-27-2015 12:01 PM

There is definitely some good feed back on this post already but I will throw in my two cents and hope it helps. I recently took my car in for some recall work (Audi a6 3.0T) and was granted a loaner(Audi a6 2.0t). The 2.0T is a well built engine with a nice deep sound and great turbo feel in the higher rpms. With that said fuel efficient is actually worse for me (I have a very heavy foot) and the 2.0T really struggles to build power off of the line. Also whenever I prices out tires the tires where much more expensive for the 2.0T due to the load index. Overall the album 2.0T is not a bad car and probably the best 2.0 engine I have ever driven but if you are going to shell out big bucks for an A6 I would pay a little extra and get the 3.0T. A few years ago I was in your position and I haven't regretted the decision one bit.

Pacapac 07-27-2015 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Octobersown60 (Post 24709374)
There is definitely some good feed back on this post already but I will throw in my two cents and hope it helps. I recently took my car in for some recall work (Audi a6 3.0T) and was granted a loaner(Audi a6 2.0t). The 2.0T is a well built engine with a nice deep sound and great turbo feel in the higher rpms. With that said fuel efficient is actually worse for me (I have a very heavy foot) and the 2.0T really struggles to build power off of the line. Also whenever I prices out tires the tires where much more expensive for the 2.0T due to the load index. Overall the album 2.0T is not a bad car and probably the best 2.0 engine I have ever driven but if you are going to shell out big bucks for an A6 I would pay a little extra and get the 3.0T. A few years ago I was in your position and I haven't regretted the decision one bit.

Hello Octobersown60,
Was the A6 2.0T loaner a 2016 model?
I found a big difference between the 220HP engine and the new 2016 252HP engine.

Octobersown60 07-27-2015 06:55 PM

No it was a 2015 A6 2.0T
I wasn't aware that they beefed up the engine for the upcoming A6 line up. I guess it all comes down to your driving style, if you have a heavy foot then invest in the 3.0T but if you drive like an adult then the 2.0T will get the job done just fine and save you some money. From what my service advisories tells me they are both really reliable engines and power even bigger platforms than the A6. Are you looking at AWD or FWD. the loaner I had was FWD and I think that had a lot to do with the lack of power

snagitseven 07-27-2015 07:41 PM

I drive like an adult but still appreciate the extra power of the 3.0T.

Pacapac 07-27-2015 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Octobersown60 (Post 24709492)
No it was a 2015 A6 2.0T
I wasn't aware that they beefed up the engine for the upcoming A6 line up. I guess it all comes down to your driving style, if you have a heavy foot then invest in the 3.0T but if you drive like an adult then the 2.0T will get the job done just fine and save you some money. From what my service advisories tells me they are both really reliable engines and power even bigger platforms than the A6. Are you looking at AWD or FWD. the loaner I had was FWD and I think that had a lot to do with the lack of power

According to the manufacturer, the 2015 A6 2.0T FWD 0-60 mph = 7.4 seconds and the AWD 0-60 mph = 6.6 seconds. The 2016 2.0T FWD 0-60 mph = 6.7 seconds and the AWD 0-60 mph = 5.8 seconds.
It will never be as fun and rewarding as the 3.0 engine, but the new 2.0T is in my opinion a nice upgrade from the previous one. I can feel a clear difference between the 2014 2.0T A6 and my new 2016 A6.

AudioBear 07-27-2015 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Octobersown60 (Post 24709492)
No it was a 2015 A6 2.0T

Of course the 2.0 will more than adequately power the A6. Look back not so many years ago and you will see its output rivals or beats most sixes and a number of v-8s. Engines have come a long way lately. And Audi engines perform very well for their displacement. It's really about how you drive AND what you want and can afford. I drive like an adult but I still like to step lively on a freeway on-ramp or when passing another car. I much prefer my A6 3.0 TDI, or an 3.0 TFSI if I hadn't bought the diesel to a 2.0 but that's just my preference. I was coming out of a 100 hp 2006 Jetta TDI so the 2.0 would have seemed like a race car to me. Nonetheless, I'd take the 3 liter engine (I prefer diesel performance by far--an diesel costs less than regular where I live these days but either 3.0 L would do it for me).

For me it comes down to this, the A6 is a heavy car. I want the power there when I need it and I also want smooth and quiet. The 2.0 L isn't bad but the 3s are smoother and quieter. They have a silky performance--the 3.0 TFSI in particular responds to your thoughts effortlessly. To me the A6 is a performance luxury sedan. That begs for the larger engine.

For the OP, it may not be important at all. That's why you can still buy an A6 2.0. Can't lose with any of these choices.

Fahrer 07-28-2015 12:49 AM

I had a 2008 BMW 535 ( twin turbo 3.0 6 cylinder) with 6MT. It went from 0-60 in 5.5 seconds. I thought it was quite fast. The new A6 with 2.0T goes from 0-60 in 5.8 seconds?

That is by no means slow. It is, in fact, much more than adequate.

hawke94 07-28-2015 03:00 AM

Thanks for all the responses! Really helpful and provided much food for thought. In the end, I went with a 2016 TDI Prestige, Florett Silver on black, with Cold Weather and Driver Assist Packages. MSRP was $68,755 and dealer knocked it down to $59,976, a savings of 12.8%. I thought it was a great deal but please chime in if not. Ultimately, I felt it was worth it to spend a little more on such an upscale car. I test drove all 3 and felt the TDI was the best balance of power and fuel economy.

snagitseven 07-28-2015 05:14 AM

Does the 12.8% include any loyalty discounts? Did you have a trade in? How much were the other charges, i.e. prep, etc.? Since 7% off sticker list is invoice cost I'm curious to understand how the dealer was able to sell a new MY2016 at that price.

Inyoury 07-28-2015 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by hawke94 (Post 24709558)
Thanks for all the responses! Really helpful and provided much food for thought. In the end, I went with a 2016 TDI Prestige, Florett Silver on black, with Cold Weather and Driver Assist Packages. MSRP was $68,755 and dealer knocked it down to $59,976, a savings of 12.8%. I thought it was a great deal but please chime in if not. Ultimately, I felt it was worth it to spend a little more on such an upscale car. I test drove all 3 and felt the TDI was the best balance of power and fuel economy.

Was the 12.8% savings before sales tax?

hawke94 07-28-2015 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by snagitseven (Post 24709595)
Does the 12.8% include any loyalty discounts? Did you have a trade in? How much were the other charges, i.e. prep, etc.? Since 7% off sticker list is invoice cost I'm curious to understand how the dealer was able to sell a new MY2016 at that price.

The dealer took 9% off to start, 68,655 - 6,178.95 = 62,476.05. Then 1,000 Summer of Audi incentive for the A6 and 1,500 Loyalty of financing through Audi Financial. So 62,476 - 2500 =

hawke94 07-28-2015 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by snagitseven (Post 24709595)

The dealer took 9% off to start, 68,655 - 6,178.95 = 62,476.05. Then 1,000 Summer of Audi incentive for the A6 and 1,500 Loyalty of financing through Audi Financial. So 62,476 - 2500 = 59,976. Total savings was 8,678 or approximately 12.8% off. Basically, it was like buying the base TDI PP+ and getting the Prestige options, cold weather, and driver assist free.
However, if I add in 6.25% Massachusetts tax and fees of 3,763, my final price is 63,984. Net savings would then be 6.8%. Can't escape the taxes.

The dealer said the profit on the car was only 65 cents but they get bonuses from Audi each quarter based on the number of new vehicles they sell. If they make 90% of their quota, they get an extra 300 per vehicle sold. If they make 100% or more, they get an extra 800 per vehicle. Their strategy is to increase volume so that there are more customers coming for service, one of their main profit centers (the other is used car sales). How true this is I don't know but it did sound interesting and there's no denying the savings. Other dealers I saw couldn't even come close with the same optioned car. Not sure if I'm allowed to divulge dealer information here but I'd be happy to post if no rules are broken or through PM.

Hope this helps some people.

Inyoury 07-28-2015 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by hawke94 (Post 24709736)
The dealer took 9% off to start, 68,655 - 6,178.95 = 62,476.05. Then 1,000 Summer of Audi incentive for the A6 and 1,500 Loyalty of financing through Audi Financial. So 62,476 - 2500 = 59,976. Total savings was 8,678 or approximately 12.8% off. Basically, it was like buying the base TDI PP+ and getting the Prestige options, cold weather, and driver assist free.
However, if I add in 6.25% Massachusetts tax and fees of 3,763, my final price is 63,984. Net savings would then be 6.8%. Can't escape the taxes.

The dealer said the profit on the car was only 65 cents but they get bonuses from Audi each quarter based on the number of new vehicles they sell. If they make 90% of their quota, they get an extra 300 per vehicle sold. If they make 100% or more, they get an extra 800 per vehicle. Their strategy is to increase volume so that there are more customers coming for service, one of their main profit centers (the other is used car sales). How true this is I don't know but it did sound interesting and there's no denying the savings. Other dealers I saw couldn't even come close with the same optioned car. Not sure if I'm allowed to divulge dealer information here but I'd be happy to post if no rules are broken or through PM.

Hope this helps some people.

That's a similar story I heard from Sewickley Audi. The sales person Paul told me he makes nothing from the actual sales of the car I bought from him, but when he meets and exceeds the quota, he gets bonuses and incentives. That's the primary source of his income and they claimed this dealership sells the most in the area.

AudioBear 07-28-2015 02:40 PM

Sounds like you got the one from the bottom of Boston Harbor. Just kidding. That sounds like a good deal to me.

You will love the TDI, especially with diesel costing less than regular--at least it is around here.

I've averaged 37.2mpg actual in the first 32K miles on a driving cycle that's mostly highway. But that's not the good part, The car is just plain fun to drive and is very comfortable on long trips.

Congratulations on a wise choice.

BTW, I live in far Northern ID and have never had any problems with fuel gelling or slow starting. As stated previous it takes 7 minutes of normal driving to real full operating temp.

melland 07-28-2015 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by hawke94 (Post 24709558)

Congrats! And welcome to the TDI club! I guarantee you're going to love every minute of driving it! :D

The TDIs tend to hold enough residual value over the TFSI counterparts to more than pay for the difference too.

snagitseven 07-28-2015 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by hawke94 (Post 24709736)
Not sure if I'm allowed to divulge dealer information here but I'd be happy to post if no rules are broken or through PM.

No rules broken. Which dealer?

hawke94 07-28-2015 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by snagitseven (Post 24709797)
No rules broken. Which dealer?

Audi Norwell. Never heard of them but I'm in Central Mass. Ryan Sullivan is the salesperson I dealt with, all over the phone and email. We've never met in person! Very pleasant and professional.

BTW, there was no trade-in. My wife's friend wanted to buy my 2010 Q5 for $26k so I saw that as an opportunity to get a decent price before values plummet when the new 2016 comes out next year. Audi Shrewsbury only offered $20k.

Tinbad 07-28-2015 06:51 PM

Awesome deal, congrats!

Can't imagine getting a deal like this here in Bay Area though. You can be happy if they let you take a test drive. They seem to not care for business at all here.

OneOfOne 07-30-2015 12:12 PM

Ive just gone to their website. ryan sullivan isnt listed in the 'meet our staff' section. do you have an email to share? thanks

hawke94 07-30-2015 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by OneOfOne (Post 24710404)
Ive just gone to their website. ryan sullivan isnt listed in the 'meet our staff' section. do you have an email to share? thanks

ryans@audinorwell.com

You can also call the main number and ask for him.

Bayman48 08-02-2015 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Tinbad (Post 24709815)
Awesome deal, congrats!

Can't imagine getting a deal like this here in Bay Area though. You can be happy if they let you take a test drive. They seem to not care for business at all here.

If you are talking N. California Bay Area, I could tell you where I went and got an awesome deal.

hawke94 08-05-2015 06:13 PM

Finally picked up the new car today! There was some initial drama about actual delivery date but more on that later. So this is a 2016 TDI Prestige, Florett Silver on black with black headliner and Cold Weather and Driver Assist packages. The car is just absolutely gorgeous! The low-end power is incredible and the LEDs were well suited to my (literally) neck of the woods. I'll try to post some pics later this week.

In the meantime, I discovered the dealer slapped on their sticker on the trunk. What's the best way to take it off? I read the best way is to use a hair dryer on the hottest setting, starting on the middle of the sticker and slowly working out towards the edges. Would the heat damage the clear coat or paint? Is Goo Off also good? My third Audi and this is the first time I've encountered this.

snagitseven 08-05-2015 06:44 PM

My dealer knows I do not want any of their advertising on my new cars; plate frames, decals or emblems. If I wanted to drive a mobile billboard, I would charge them for the advertising.

You should take it back and have them remove it. It's your car, not theirs to slap that junk on your car.

Fithian 08-06-2015 05:50 AM

My wife's new A6, picked up in Ingolstadt in late June has had over 3200 miles on European highways. She doesn't like a bumpy ride so she wanted the standard suspension with 18" wheels, but every thing else is on it. Prestige, B&O, Comfort seats, etc. Car rides and handles well, not too soft, but not at all bumpy. Mileage on non-ethanol Super (91 US) was perfect and at an average of 85 mph was 30 mpg. At an average of 115 mph, it dropped to 20 mpg. Top was 130 mph, which is the limited on the A6. It just doesn't go any faster, just sits at 130. Oil was down 1/4 at 3200 miles. It will arrive here in September. Automatic tends to jump off the line, needs to be fixed.

Hulamau 08-08-2015 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Fahrer (Post 24707041)

For me , though the 2016 2.0T is a substantial upgrade in power over the original 2.0T ', that was rather anemic for a car this size, the shear enjoyment and sense of 'right' proportion of power to the size and model class of the A6 makes the 3.0T Supercharged V6 a total no brained to me, which now that I have about 1,450 miles on it, and fully broken in, my '16 3.0T Prestige, S-Line Sports pack, and Drivers Assistance is more enjoyable than I ever expected.

When ordering and waiting for my car, a number of times I second guessed my choices due to taking too seriously a couple of the same reviews that gave a marginal caveat about pairing the 20" wheels with the sports suspension IF you lived in a winter/spring pothole hell like Detroit ... But otherwise had largely glowing reviews on the 2016 car with sports 20" set up.

I'm SO glad I listened more to my Audi service manager, several of the reps there and a few dealers I called in more snowy regions who all reassured me the concern expressed by some were overblown, and that few people who actually own these cars wind up complaining about either the Sports pack 19" or 20" set up.

On my first two hour drive home from Scottsdale to Sedona through long open highway and winding mountain and large Mesa passes, I had a grin from ear to ear with total relief how even before the car had settled in (it had 9 miles on it when I left Phoenix and I had put most of those few miles on it myself in Scottsdale) the ride and handling were both outstanding and not at all 'harsh' or irritating in the slightest .

Since then on many different road surfaces I'm still just as happy and so very glad I did not listen to the folks who were down on the sports suspension. I go over five speed bumps every day each way coming up and down my street in a slow neighborhood and my A6 glides over those bumps even when I hit them at 45mph rather than the 15mph they are set for, and it is totally less harsh than our 2015 A4 Prestige Quattro S-Line without any sports suspension and with 18" Pirelli P7 AS tires!

The Q5 you are used too will likely be even more cushy and floaty but the A6 is a different car and while it can be made into more of a cruiser floater, as an Audi sedan, it still has sports DNA in its blood and should have a nice 5 link sports suspension on both front and rear wheels in my view.

Obviously, it will depend on what you are looking for in a car... Yes ,it will be more of a performance machine than with the regular set up on 18" balloons, but be sure and give both a good long test drive or three to make up your own mind.

When you do, be SURE to take note of the 'cold tire pressure' and do NOT over fill the tires to over 41psi all around. Some guys slap 44psi front and 46psi rear for a car, because they see that on the front door of the 3.0T ... And with you and maybe the salesman max riding in it with a quarter of half tank of gas and zero luggage or added weight, that scenario indeed could be a much stiffer ride!

I run 39psi front 37psi rear with very cold early morning measurement and it works like a champ giving awesome grip and road hugging prowess while feeling jet like a fast Audi should and the minimal tread wear so far appears very even.

Which gets back to the 3.0T where several field tests have the 2016 running around 0-60mph in 4.7 to 4.6 seconds ....that's a full second faster than the improved 252hp 273ft/lb torque 2016 2.0T with Quattro and the 8 speed tranny... A full second is a LOT faster not just a little bit.

The power is so smooth as well and just pulls up a mountain like there is no tomorrow and no strain whatsoever continuing to accelerate going up rather steep grades without petering out at all.

If anything, you might need to invest in a new Escort Passport Max 2 with some laser sensors too, just because it is so effortless to suddenly be going 110 while it feels like 60mph, at least out on these gorgeous wide open highways in Arizona.

Anyway, good luck on your decision, but the vast majority of us who have the sports suspension are happy campers... Tires can make a big difference too in how the ride feels, probably more so than a one inch diameter increase in wheel size effects the ride. The larger wheels tend to improve handling with well matched tires with a modest impact on ride feel and noticing bumps but nothing harsh unless you blow up your tires too much for your real world load.

Fahrer 08-09-2015 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Hulamau (Post 24713410)
For me , though the 2016 2.0T is a substantial upgrade in power over the original 2.0T ', that was rather anemic for a car this size, the shear enjoyment and sense of 'right' proportion of power to the size and model class of the A6 makes the 3.0T Supercharged V6 a total no brained to me, which now that I have about 1,450 miles on it, and fully broken in, my '16 3.0T Prestige, S-Line Sports pack, and Drivers Assistance is more enjoyable than I ever expected.

When ordering and waiting for my car, a number of times I second guessed my choices due to taking too seriously a couple of the same reviews that gave a marginal caveat about pairing the 20" wheels with the sports suspension IF you lived in a winter/spring pothole hell like Detroit ... But otherwise had largely glowing reviews on the 2016 car with sports 20" set up.

I'm SO glad I listened more to my Audi service manager, several of the reps there and a few dealers I called in more snowy regions who all reassured me the concern expressed by some were overblown, and that few people who actually own these cars wind up complaining about either the Sports pack 19" or 20" set up.

On my first two hour drive home from Scottsdale to Sedona through long open highway and winding mountain and large Mesa passes, I had a grin from ear to ear with total relief how even before the car had settled in (it had 9 miles on it when I left Phoenix and I had put most of those few miles on it myself in Scottsdale) the ride and handling were both outstanding and not at all 'harsh' or irritating in the slightest .

Since then on many different road surfaces I'm still just as happy and so very glad I did not listen to the folks who were down on the sports suspension. I go over five speed bumps every day each way coming up and down my street in a slow neighborhood and my A6 glides over those bumps even when I hit them at 45mph rather than the 15mph they are set for, and it is totally less harsh than our 2015 A4 Prestige Quattro S-Line without any sports suspension and with 18" Pirelli P7 AS tires!

The Q5 you are used too will likely be even more cushy and floaty but the A6 is a different car and while it can be made into more of a cruiser floater, as an Audi sedan, it still has sports DNA in its blood and should have a nice 5 link sports suspension on both front and rear wheels in my view.

Obviously, it will depend on what you are looking for in a car... Yes ,it will be more of a performance machine than with the regular set up on 18" balloons, but be sure and give both a good long test drive or three to make up your own mind.

When you do, be SURE to take note of the 'cold tire pressure' and do NOT over fill the tires to over 41psi all around. Some guys slap 44psi front and 46psi rear for a car, because they see that on the front door of the 3.0T ... And with you and maybe the salesman max riding in it with a quarter of half tank of gas and zero luggage or added weight, that scenario indeed could be a much stiffer ride!

I run 39psi front 37psi rear with very cold early morning measurement and it works like a champ giving awesome grip and road hugging prowess while feeling jet like a fast Audi should and the minimal tread wear so far appears very even.

Which gets back to the 3.0T where several field tests have the 2016 running around 0-60mph in 4.7 to 4.6 seconds ....that's a full second faster than the improved 252hp 273ft/lb torque 2016 2.0T with Quattro and the 8 speed tranny... A full second is a LOT faster not just a little bit.

The power is so smooth as well and just pulls up a mountain like there is no tomorrow and no strain whatsoever continuing to accelerate going up rather steep grades without petering out at all.

If anything, you might need to invest in a new Escort Passport Max 2 with some laser sensors too, just because it is so effortless to suddenly be going 110 while it feels like 60mph, at least out on these gorgeous wide open highways in Arizona.

Anyway, good luck on your decision, but the vast majority of us who have the sports suspension are happy campers... Tires can make a big difference too in how the ride feels, probably more so than a one inch diameter increase in wheel size effects the ride. The larger wheels tend to improve handling with well matched tires with a modest impact on ride feel and noticing bumps but nothing harsh unless you blow up your tires too much for your real world load.

At 0-60 in 5.8 seconds, the 2.0 is not slow. I do not need anything quicker than that for a daily driver. Also from these forums one would think that almost everyone gets the 3.0. Not the case. The 2.0 outsells all of the other models. regarding the sport suspension, I did have a 2008 BMW 535 with 6MT. It was very fast but only slightly faster than the new A6 2.0. I also had the normal suspension with all season tires and, although an unusual choice, it handled very well with great comfort and long lasting, un-damaged tires and wheels. ( if only the BMW was reliable) I have a 911 and it provides all of the performance I need on the weekend. Finally, you drive 45 mph in a 15 mph zone? Really?

snagitseven 08-09-2015 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Fahrer (Post 24713619)
Also from these forums one would think that almost everyone gets the 3.0. Not the case. The 2.0 outsells all of the other models.

Interesting comment that the 2.0T "outsells all of the other models". I presume you meant specifically the C7 A6 as that is what is being discussed and this is, of course, the A6 C7 forum. Since I don't believe Audi reports sales by engine within a model, do you have data to support that assertion?

If you were referring to all Audi models, then that might be true with the Q5 and A3/A4 (which only offer the 2.0T engine and the A4 being the 2nd best seller for Audi). As to the C7 A6 however, I doubt that the 2.0T outsells the 3.0T and 3.0TDI.