AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-c7-platform-discussion-194/)
-   -   Havanna Black vs. Moonlight Blue Metallic (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-c7-platform-discussion-194/havanna-black-vs-moonlight-blue-metallic-2827105/)

yustas 05-20-2012 10:03 AM

Havanna Black vs. Moonlight Blue Metallic

Hello,

I am ready to order 2013 A6, but cannot decide on the color. I was set on going with Moonlight Blue, assuming that it looks like Night Blue on A8, but when I saw Moonlight Blue in person, I could not even tell what color it is. The Night Blue on A8 has that deep blue tone to it, it is a very dark color, but during the day one can clearly see that it is a blue color. I really like it and would not think twice about ordering the car in that color.

The Moonlight Blue on A6, on the other hand, is confusing. The car looks dark, but even up close it is hard to say what color it is. From certain angles in bright sun, you can see some blue hue in it, but from 6 feet away, even in bright sun, the color looks, well, indecisive, if you will. It is not black or gray, it is somewhere in between. I do not know, it is just does not seem to have a character.

The Havanna Black seems unique. You can see that it is a brown color, but very dark, deep brown. It looks nice in the sun. It is a decisive color, but while I like the color in theory, I do not know if I like it enouph to actually buy a car in that color.

The choice between these two colors is pushing me to just order a car in black, but while the black is a timeless classic, it is everywhere. Anywhere you look, you see either a black, silver or a gray car.

As for an interior, I like Velvet Beige with Ash Natural Brown inlays.

I know I am overanalyzing this, but I am just having a hard time deciding between Havanna Black and Moonlight Blue. I want to like the Moonlight Blue, because I really like dark blues, I just wish the Moonlight Blue would have had more blue to it.

Help me out guys!

Thanks.

psychodo 05-20-2012 11:16 AM

I also struggled with colors last fall.
Only reason I didn't go with Havana (over phantom) was how brown it looks in certain lights..and I didn't want a brown car. That being said I know a few owners here love the multi dimension aspect of Havana vs traditional black. Oolong grey is really nice as well. If I had to do it over it would be garnet red (stunning color and rare) but it really comes down to personal preference.

It doesn't sound like Moonlight is the way to go for you though if you had that reaction in person. I'd hate to spend 50-60K on a color that I was "eh" about.

yustas 05-20-2012 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by psychodo (Post 24302039)
Only reason I didn't go with Havana (over phantom) was how brown it looks in certain lights..and I didn't want a brown car.

Very well said. I like the color, but I do not want to drive a brown car. It is weird, if you like the color, what is the problem, right? It is just one of those things, you like something for what it is, but you do not want to actually have it yourself.

It doesn't sound like Moonlight is the way to go for you though if you had that reaction in person. I'd hate to spend 50-60K on a color that I was "eh" about.
Exactly. And that is my problem. I am afraid all colors for A6 make me go "meh."

Which color is new for 2013, by the way?

FuchsB 05-20-2012 11:47 AM

Tough Choice...I really like both colors...

organizedchaos 05-20-2012 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by psychodo (Post 24302039)
Only reason I didn't go with Havana (over phantom) was how brown it looks in certain lights..and I didn't want a brown car.

The beauty of Havana is that it's actually a black car. Only in the very bright sun, could you consider it as somewhat brown. It's more like a hue/hint of brown. It's like having a brown car, without having a brown car. It's definitely different... I love the color brown so it was a no brainer for me. Do over? Probably Ooooooohlong gray....

yustas 05-20-2012 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by organizedchaos (Post 24302062)
I love the color brown so it was a no brainer for me. Do over? Probably Ooooooohlong gray....

Just curios. If you love the color, why Oolong Gray?

tenspeed 05-20-2012 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by yustas (Post 24302027)
I am ready to order 2013 A6, but cannot decide on the color. I was set on going with Moonlight Blue, assuming that it looks like Night Blue on A8... The Night Blue on A8 has that deep blue tone to it, it is a very dark color, but during the day one can clearly see that it is a blue color. I really like it and would not think twice about ordering the car in that color.

You can have the A6 painted Moonlight blue or Estoril blue crystal effect. I will cost you but it can be done.

yustas 05-20-2012 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by tenspeed (Post 24302141)
You can have the A6 painted Moonlight blue or Estoril blue crystal effect. I will cost you but it can be done.

Painted by Audi?

NCAudiFan 05-21-2012 04:38 AM

My wife had picked the Moonlight Blue as her color of choice off the A6 app on my iPad. We both had Phantom Black so she wanted to move away from that but when we saw a Moonlight Blue on the lot, it was a "confusing" color. Hard to tell if it was black or navy. The Hanava Black was just too brown for her so she decided to go with the Aviator Blue. Color is such a personal choice you have to select the color that speaks to you personally. Who really cares what other people think? Every morining when I open the door to my garage and see my Phantom Black S4 sitting there, it still make me smile. Thats a good color choice.

NVThs1 05-21-2012 04:39 AM

Yep. You can add it on with your order just like an option. Every color has an option code. I am doing it for my order. I am having mine painted Estoril Blue which I beleive I have only seen on the S6 as an factory choice color. The price is $2500 so it is an expensive option. Also choosing a color not in the standard offering will push your car back a couple extra weeks in production. My Chicago area sales manager contact quotes 3 weeks but said he tries to over estimate just in case.

I figure I am keeping this one for a while so I might as well love the color and I just felt the Moonlight Blue wasn't Blue enough for me.

psychodo 05-21-2012 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by NVThs1 (Post 24302269)
Yep. You can add it on with your order just like an option. Every color has an option code. I am doing it for my order. I am having mine painted Estoril Blue which I beleive I have only seen on the S6 as an factory choice color. The price is $2500 so it is an expensive option. Also choosing a color not in the standard offering will push your car back a couple extra weeks in production. My Chicago area sales manager contact quotes 3 weeks but said he tries to over estimate just in case.

I figure I am keeping this one for a while so I might as well love the color and I just felt the Moonlight Blue wasn't Blue enough for me.

Oh wow..just saw a pic of Estoril..that is a great color! Going to look sweet on your 6. $2500 is a bit steep though.

psychodo 05-21-2012 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by NCAudiFan (Post 24302268)
Who really cares what other people think? Every morining when I open the door to my garage and see my Phantom Black S4 sitting there, it still make me smile. Thats a good color choice.

+1

awryexperiment 05-21-2012 05:41 AM

I had a Havana Black loaner for a week. It was an interesting color, very pretty in certain lights.... and always kind of different.
I think a few of the Audi paints are quite ambiguous: Havana black, oolong grey, midnight blue, dakota grey. You think its one color, then it looks like another, and then another again.

The cost for a custom paint job @ $2500 is not really that bad considering it is from the factory.

dsheikh573 05-21-2012 06:05 AM

Moonlight blue in the show room perfectly clean and with a ton of fresh wax had a very deep and clear blue to it. Looked great. However, one on the lot that was dusty and not-so-waxed looked almost black,as you said. Could barely tell it was blue even in bright sunlight. Completely lost interest in that color after seeing it in it's natural setting.

If you are considering Havanna, make sure you check it out it many different lighting conditions (you probably have already). The color looks truely black on a cloudy day, with just a very little brown overtone. But on a very sunny day it looks like a coffee brown even from a distance and you would definitely not think of it as a black car. If I were going with a dark color, this would be my choice.

Phantom black would be my second, but as you said, there are a lot of A6 phantom blacks running around.

The special order paint jobs are done by Audi proper and cost $2,500. But Havanna and Moonlight cost $475 already, so it's "only" an extra $2,025 for upgrading to the special order color.

tenspeed 05-21-2012 06:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by psychodo (Post 24302279)
Oh wow..just saw a pic of Estoril..that is a great color!

This might be one that you haven't seen

Attachment 79154

NVThs1 05-21-2012 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by tenspeed (Post 24302317)

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b7...effectS508.jpg

Tenspeed,
Where do you get all thes pics from? You post some great diagrams all the time that I can't seem to find on Google searches. Thanks for posting this pic. I am getting a better idea what my car will look like.

Psychodo, you are right and $2500 seems expensive, but a great paint job is going to cost that anyways with a custom paint shop. Not to mention I am keeping this car for 5+ years easily based on how long I have kept my current generation A6. In order to justify this upgrade, I decided to cross off the innovation package. The more I looked at it, the more I realized, I have had most of that tech before in other cars, and I just don't use it. So I figure why drop that money on equipment that I don't need, that could fault anyways and cost me money to fix.

yustas 05-21-2012 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by NVThs1 (Post 24302269)
Yep. You can add it on with your order just like an option. Every color has an option code.

Wow! I had no idea it was possible, and the dealer never said anything. This is very nice. It is expensive, but at least there is an option to get the color you really want. I will seriously consider it. Thanks!

NVThs1 05-21-2012 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by yustas (Post 24302333)
Wow! I had no idea it was possible, and the dealer never said anything. This is very nice. It is expensive, but at least there is an option to get the color you really want. I will seriously consider it. Thanks!

Keep in mind, you can get any color that Audi paints any of their cars in any country they sell in. In some cases you might be able to get old colors no longer offered. My AOA area sales manager said I could still order Ming Blue which was a C5 offering which I currently have. It is a bit purple looking in the right sun light (and a clean car), so that is not my cup of tea. That Estoril is just what I have wanted for ages. However I have to wait a few more ages it feels. With customizing comes waiting. I placed my order April 14th about 2 weeks too late for a 2012. So now I am waiting until June until the line starts. I hope to lay eyes on my baby by mid August, but I fear early September.

yustas 05-21-2012 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by dsheikh573 (Post 24302297)
Moonlight blue in the show room perfectly clean and with a ton of fresh wax had a very deep and clear blue to it. Looked great. However, one on the lot that was dusty and not-so-waxed looked almost black,as you said. Could barely tell it was blue even in bright sunlight. Completely lost interest in that color after seeing it in it's natural setting.

That was exactly my experience. I saw the car on the parking lot on a sunny day, but the car was a little dusty and the color just was not there. I do not understand why Audi would even offer these dark, black/grey-ish colors. The car just looks dark. I cannot even describe the color.

yustas 05-21-2012 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by tenspeed (Post 24302317)

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b7...effectS508.jpg

I like this color. Which color is it? Is it Estoril?

yustas 05-21-2012 08:01 AM

Speaking of different colors, are we sure that the 2013 colors and 2012 colors are exactly the same. In other words, is it possible that, say, Moonlight blue for 2013 is going to be more bluish than the 2012 color? The reason I ask is because while searching for different colors, I have come across this:

http://www.carsbyowner.net/used-cars...-ovlvphed.html
It is from 2011, but it says the color is Havanna Black Metallic, but it looks totally black (like piano black). If this is correct, the Havanna Black in 2011 and the Havnna Black in 2012 are completely different colors. Or does it just look like that from certain camera angles?

NVThs1 05-21-2012 08:26 AM

I think it is the lighting that makes you see it as possible different colors. I am not the paint expert, but if AOA changes the color just a bit than I am rather certain it gets a new name. They don't ask for the color and year you want. So had I wanted my new car to be painted Ming Blue, that is all I had to tell them. Not Ming Blue from the 2004 production year.

tenspeed 05-21-2012 09:19 AM

5 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by NVThs1 (Post 24302331)
Tenspeed,
Where do you get all thes pics from? You post some great diagrams all the time that I can't seem to find on Google searches. Thanks for posting this pic. I am getting a better idea what my car will look like.

I found the charts and technical drawings on NetCarShow.com and Auto-HD.com. There is another site that had pictures of every Audi color but I could not find it.

Psychodo, you are right and $2500 seems expensive, but a great paint job is going to cost that anyways with a custom paint shop.
$2500 is cheap to paint a car a new color. It would cost a lot more and many of the parts would have to be removed. In my opinion, having a A6 painted a non-standard color by the factory is the best and least expensive way to go.

Originally Posted by yustas (Post 24302343)
I like this color. Which color is it? Is it Estoril?

Yes it is the Estoril blue crystal effect (I believe). I have a few more from Car&Driver spy shots of the S6. The snow pictures are a S6 on a lake in Europe. They came from a automotive blog.
Many times they do not state what the color so I make an assumption.

Attachment 79149

Attachment 79150

Attachment 79151

Attachment 79152

Attachment 79153

NVThs1 05-21-2012 10:03 AM

[QUOTE=tenspeed;24302377]I found the charts and technical drawings on NetCarShow.com and Auto-HD.com. There is another site that had pictures of every Audi color but I could not find it.

Thanks. I have always wanted to find these and never could. All the images I have seen you post were right on netcarshow.com. I never was able to find much on Auto-hd.com. Your right as well on the price of the paint job. It is cheaper at the $2500 for a proper paint job, than a aftermarket job at a great painter. Like everyone says, when you spend this much money on a car, what is $2500 for a color that makes you smile everytime you get in the car to go to work so you can pay for that car (and paint in my case)

yustas 05-21-2012 10:14 AM

Does anyone know how much $2000 ($500 for metallic paint anyway) adds to a typical (if there is such a thing) lease? Just a general estimate. Thanks. I have never leased a car in the past, so I have no idea.

yustas 05-21-2012 10:39 AM

I found a link, directly from Audi, for all avaliable colors that can be ordered, including special Audi colors.
http://lz7w.com/audi/mk2ttwiki/pdf/M...205.8.2011.pdf

Speaking of special orders, can an interior (the seats) be ordered in a different style? Some years ago (I do not remember how long ago), I saw an Audi A8 with deep purple leather seats. It was such a nice interior. I loved it. Can it be ordered today?

yustas 05-21-2012 10:46 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I love this special color, Velvet Purple, but it is $6000. Hmmm....

yustas 05-21-2012 10:54 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I also love this color, Cherry Black Pearl, and it is only $2500! Hmmm....

S4PNW 05-21-2012 11:27 AM

It absolutely is a peronsal choice. I've been very happy with Moonlight Blue, for me it especially looks well matched to the 20" sport package wheels, which have some gray/titanium coloring along the edges.

yustas 05-21-2012 11:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
While all those colors are very nice, in the final analysis, it is between Estoril Blue Crystal and Night Blue Pearl. I think I am going to go with Estoril Blue Crystal (the A7 color), but for some reason I do not see it in the order guide I have posted above.

Any ideas? It seems to be the current color...

dsheikh573 05-21-2012 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by yustas (Post 24302448)
While all those colors are very nice, in the final analysis, it is between Estoril Blue Crystal and Night Blue Pearl. I think I am going to go with Estoril Blue Crystal (the A7 color), but for some reason I do not see it in the order guide I have posted above.

Any ideas? It seems to be the current color...

The order guide you gave shows a date of 5/11. This color maybe new? Also that's an S7 color that is not available for the A7 (unless you pay $2500).

dsheikh573 05-21-2012 12:29 PM

Looks sharp though!

yustas 05-21-2012 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by dsheikh573 (Post 24302470)
The order guide you gave shows a date of 5/11. This color maybe new? Also that's an S7 color that is not available for the A7 (unless you pay $2500).

Yes, if you order it on A6, it will be $2500. I am okay with that.

organizedchaos 05-21-2012 02:22 PM

How about ipanema brown? too much? 8>)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_qmwdM_8Ln-...r8sdetroit.jpg

tenspeed 05-21-2012 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by yustas (Post 24302417)

I think I found my new favorite color.

I really don't like any of the A6 standard colors. Except for the red, they have black, white and shades of gray.

yustas 05-21-2012 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by organizedchaos (Post 24302534)

Gorgeous color. I love it, but only as a stand-alone color, I would not buy my car in that color, especially R8. In my opinion, the more expensive the car is, the more understated the color should be. In other words, I would never buy a red or yellow Ferrari.

yustas 05-21-2012 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by tenspeed (Post 24302542)

I really don't like any of the A6 standard colors. Except for the red, they have black, white and shades of gray.

It looks great on A6 and the color itself is understated, but it has character. It is sophisticated and intricate with just a touch of flamboyance. I still have it on my mind, but I am leaning more and more toward Estoril.

psychodo 05-21-2012 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by organizedchaos (Post 24302534)

Way to much for me at least :p
It might look good on a small car like a A3 but never on a R8.

Originally Posted by yustas (Post 24302417)

I dig this color a lot. Black interior instead of nougat though.

Originally Posted by yustas (Post 24302448)
While all those colors are very nice, in the final analysis, it is between Estoril Blue Crystal and Night Blue Pearl. I think I am going to go with Estoril Blue Crystal (the A7 color), ..

Damn, that is a nice blue. I'd take that in a heartbeat.

yustas 05-21-2012 05:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by tenspeed (Post 24302542)

I think this pic shows the color accurately.

tenspeed 05-21-2012 05:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by yustas (Post 24302612)
I think this pic shows the color accurately.

Thanks. I found this one on this forum. That Velvet Purple is nice too but I'm not paying six large for it. Two grand is my upper paint limit and it has to be a pearl or crystal effect.

Attachment 79148