AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 (C8 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-c8-platform-discussion-229/)
-   -   Major problem with new A6/A7? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-c8-platform-discussion-229/major-problem-new-a6-a7-2962338/)

Helmar 11-14-2018 05:15 AM

Major problem with new A6/A7?

I just read a YouTube review that mentioned a significant (1-2 second) delay when accelerating from a stop (pedal to the metal), reguardless of what mode was chosen. This was specifically NOT a turbo lag issue.

This is a major problem for me and may send me over to an E class for 2019.

Has anyone else experienced this?

My supercharged 2014 exhibited NO such delay, which was one of its more endearing features....

HBH

AdamNJ 11-14-2018 07:45 AM

Can you link to the video you are referring to? Are you sure this was a US model and not a European one with a diesel engine? My A8 test drive weeks ago did not have a delay; while I did not try putting the pedal to the metal, I did stomp on it a bit.

critter6835 11-14-2018 07:59 AM

I test drove a Q8 and noticed some delay when pressing the gas before the car took off. Several reviews of the Q8 I have seen mention the same thing (CarWow for sure mentions it for the Q8 and I think they did in their A7 review as well). Dynamic mode somewhat helps but the only thing that really solves it is using the paddles.

I know the A6/A7 have the same engine but think the transmission is different. I previously had an S class coupe that did the same thing (S550 coupe) so wonder how the E class is?

Helmar 11-14-2018 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by AdamNJ (Post 25236603)
Can you link to the video you are referring to?

Yes, here it is:

HBH

raj99 11-14-2018 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Helmar (Post 25236611)

Yes, here it is:

https://youtu.be/V8xK8GZKeiA

HBH

That vehicle is a diesel, something you won't get it north America. plus the engine behaves quite differently from a gasoline engine.

19hole 11-14-2018 08:10 AM

As it shows in the title, that is a TDI. Not an engine you can get here in the USA.

Helmar 11-14-2018 11:58 AM

Thanks for the replies.
I guess I'll just need to wait for a test drive to insure that it's TDI specific.
I l wish that they offered the air suspension here in the USA. I'll need to check the ride on the test drive as well.....
HBH

raj99 11-14-2018 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Helmar (Post 25236696)
Thanks for the replies.
I guess I'll just need to wait for a test drive to insure that it's TDI specific.
I l wish that they offered the air suspension here in the USA. I'll need to check the ride on the test drive as well.....
HBH

You may want to watch the following, since he actually reviews the 3.0 TFSI engine (gasoline), which is available in the US. He doesn't mention anything about lag or delay.

Helmar 11-15-2018 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by raj99 (Post 25236944)
You may want to watch the following, since he actually reviews the 3.0 TFSI engine (gasoline), which is available in the US. He doesn't mention anything about lag or delay.

Thanks, it is promising, with proof but a test drive away.

He did enthuse over 2 features that Audi has puzzlingly omitted from the USA: Air suspension and 4 wheel steering.

i have both in my current 750, and like them.......The 4 wheel steering makes the car feel smaller, especially nice when parking.

HBH

DB22 11-15-2018 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Helmar (Post 25236989)

Thanks, it is promising, with proof but a test drive away.

He did enthuse over 2 features that Audi has puzzlingly omitted from the USA: Air suspension and 4 wheel steering.

i have both in my current 750, and like them.......The 4 wheel steering makes the car feel smaller, especially nice when parking.

HBH

Audi specializes in omitting features for the US market. Reviews of cars from other parts of the world are irrelevant for the USA market except to work out what you won’t get.

jjsC6 11-16-2018 07:06 AM

I drove an S4 with the same engine when it came out about a year and a half ago and it did have that lag. Search the S4 section of this forum and you will find discussions about it. That does not mean they have not fixed it, but there were complaints about it early on. I have not followed that forum much since then.

AdamNJ 11-16-2018 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by jjsC6 (Post 25237547)
I drove an S4 with the same engine when it came out about a year and a half ago and it did have that lag. Search the S4 section of this forum and you will find discussions about it. That does not mean they have not fixed it, but there were complaints about it early on. I have not followed that forum much since then.

Are you sure that is is the same engine in the S4 you drove? Prior A6 was a v6 supercharged with 340hp. This year is a completely new engine, v6 turbo with 335hp and 369 torque...but that doesn't mean they didn't preview it earlier.

jjsC6 11-18-2018 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by AdamNJ (Post 25237570)
Are you sure that is is the same engine in the S4 you drove? Prior A6 was a v6 supercharged with 340hp. This year is a completely new engine, v6 turbo with 335hp and 369 torque...but that doesn't mean they didn't preview it earlier.

Yes, the S4/5's got the turbocharged engine first. Same engine. Here is the thread from the S4 forum....

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-...ation-2919861/

angrypengu 11-18-2018 04:59 PM

Yes, there is some delay in comfort mode on the A8. Yes, there is also minor turbo lag.

The E450's lag is nearly not there, but if you're thinking of an E300, forget it. That useless 4 banger will piss you off way more than the lag from the EA839 engine.

*note, I have not driven the A6, but I have driven the 2019 A8 extensively and it's the same engine between the two.

CHIO 11-21-2018 04:51 AM

I have driven A couple c8 A6 and have not noticed this

ONI1013 02-08-2019 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Helmar (Post 25236696)
Thanks for the replies.
HBH

I have the 2019 A6 55 TSFI engine. And there is no such 1-2 second lag. It does have a small hybrid engine where the engine shuts off at stop lights and during coasting on freeways for fuel economy, and you do notice it switches on the engine the moment you release the brakes. But it’s instantaneous and has no lag. But of course, test drive it yourself to feel confident before your buy.

And by the way, there is an option on dash to disable the engine shut off while car is at a stop. Update: I drove a 2019 Q7 for last 3 weeks and did notice a slight delay on occasion. It was very rare but it did happen a couple of times — particularly when starting on an incline.

chicagoA6 02-13-2019 05:36 AM

Considering that Car and Driver just did a comparo of the new A7 (same engine and actually a little heavier I believe) with the new CLS and clocked it at 4.4 seconds to 60mph I think it’s safe to say turbo lag is a non-issue

I haven’t noticed any lag in my new A7. However, I’m being a good boy and observing proper break-in period so haven’t nailed her to redline - yet

Doug2.7 02-20-2019 03:25 PM

We now have over 2k mileage on our 2019 A6 Prestige. The only lag is if you have the engine shut down mode engaged. but that is not bad unless you are racing. The easy fix is press the disable button on top of the lower MMI panel. At a stop, the engine no longer shuts down. Also, the car self starts as soon as one starts to remove their foot from the brake.

hbx 01-04-2020 10:51 PM

This is indeed a problem on C8s.
i have an A7 2019 55 TFSI S-Tronic with a 3s delat from kickdown to acceleration. It has nothing to do with the start/stop engine function.

Others with the same problem: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a7-.../#post25404469

SGC1974 01-06-2020 05:58 PM

Yeah, my S5 had a lag...was incredibly annoying and almost got me in trouble a couple times.

My 2019 A6 has not shown any kind of lag.

hbx 01-06-2020 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by SGC1974 (Post 25405242)
Yeah, my S5 had a lag...was incredibly annoying and almost got me in trouble a couple times.

My 2019 A6 has not shown any kind of lag.

I test drove 2 different A6 2019s, exactly the same lag as in my A7 C8.

gguy 01-09-2020 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by hbx (Post 25405278)
I test drove 2 different A6 2019s, exactly the same lag as in my A7 C8.

I have a 2019 A6 Prestige, with the 3.0 engine. Since this thread started, I have tried to get it to lag to see if I can understand what you are talking about. I have NO lag, as in none. Not even a fraction of a second. That includes whether or not the start stop system has stopped the engine or not.

davedavez 01-09-2020 04:49 PM

I have the same car, trim level and all, and it is laggy as hell when accelerating from a "California style" stop. If you are rolling even just a little bit and try to get on the gas to, say, get into a hole in traffic, there is a *serious* delay before the engine spools and the car starts moving with intent. It got me into trouble a couple of times before I adjusted my driving. Sucks that we have to deal with this on a supposed luxury car.
​​​​​
Edit:
I should add this isn't turbo lag, this is ECU/transmission lag. Arguably worse because it's software driven!

gguy 01-09-2020 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by davedavez (Post 25406422)
I have the same car, trim level and all, and it is laggy as hell when accelerating from a "California style" stop. If you are rolling even just a little bit and try to get on the gas to, say, get into a hole in traffic, there is a *serious* delay before the engine spools and the car starts moving with intent. It got me into trouble a couple of times before I adjusted my driving. Sucks that we have to deal with this on a supposed luxury car.
​​​​​
Edit:
I should add this isn't turbo lag, this is ECU/transmission lag. Arguably worse because it's software driven!

well, I’d have to say that frankly, you don’t have the same car that I do. Mine has no lag.

hbx 01-09-2020 08:53 PM

It's now confirmed!
talked yo another Audi dealer, they didn't know so they checked with the HQ.

The response was that this is a known issue on the S-tronics.

​​​​​​However, they didn't call it an issue/problem, they called it a "feature".

How the hell can this be a feature??????

Also, there's nothing you can do about it (except selling the car or perhaps use an unauthorized 3rd party company to remap or something).

​​​I'm thinking about selling this piece of **** car! This "feature" annoys me!.
My A5 with S-tronic feels much faster, despite much smaller engine and 10years older!!!

hbx 01-09-2020 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by gguy (Post 25406322)
I have a 2019 A6 Prestige, with the 3.0 engine. Since this thread started, I have tried to get it to lag to see if I can understand what you are talking about. I have NO lag, as in none. Not even a fraction of a second. That includes whether or not the start stop system has stopped the engine or not.

Can you confirm you have the S-tronic gearbox?
See my last reply.

doctorharrison 01-10-2020 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by gguy (Post 25406322)

My 2019 A7 [details in signature below] was delivered in late May. I have exactly ONE event in which I was in a rolling slowdown at a traffic light to make an immediate left turn through a gap in oncoming traffic. Auto Start/Stop was active, the car was in D drive mode. I initiated the turn, hit the gas pedal and NOTHING! The longest 1-2 seconds of feeling helpless and totally vulnerable to what felt like an inevitable catastrophe.

Nothing similar has happened since. And considering the interval of time since, perhaps your time has just not yet come...

ps this was so close to my delivery date that a week later, I received that call from my dealership inquiring "howzzit going?" I described the event, asked them to escalate it and specifically to get back to me. Not a peep...

hbx 01-13-2020 03:34 AM

Here's another post where this issue is discussed:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a7-224/acceleration-hesitations-2982540/

Also, check this review (plenty more reviews where they mention this problem):

gguy 01-13-2020 07:03 AM

From the posts, it is clear that the issue is there. I haven’t noticed it. I wonder if my car doesn’t have it, or if I just have not been in a position where I noticed it yet. Probably the latter. Hopefully you all get a fix from Audi soon though.

hbx 01-13-2020 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by gguy (Post 25407708)
From the posts, it is clear that the issue is there. I haven’t noticed it. I wonder if my car doesn’t have it, or if I just have not been in a position where I noticed it yet. Probably the latter. Hopefully you all get a fix from Audi soon though.

​​​​​​

You don't have the S-Tronic gearbox right?

gguy 01-13-2020 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by hbx (Post 25407786)
​​​​​​

You don't have the S-Tronic gearbox right?

not sure, how do I tell?

Silver42 01-13-2020 12:07 PM

If I am not mistaken - early 2019 A6's are all 3.0T 7sp DSG. The 2.0 4 Cyl came much later or for 2020? Regardless of that - all models here in the US come with the 7spd DSG.

gguy 01-13-2020 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Silver42 (Post 25407839)
If I am not mistaken - early 2019 A6's are all 3.0T 7sp DSG. The 2.0 4 Cyl came much later or for 2020? Regardless of that - all models here in the US come with the 7spd DSG.

Then that is what I have. Is that the s-tronic that is being spoken of ?

Silver42 01-13-2020 12:54 PM

s-tronic - DSG...same thing - s-tronic is a different name for the Direct-Shift Gearbox / DSG.

JohnnyDriver 01-13-2020 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by davedavez (Post 25406422)
​​​​​
Edit:

This, exactly. Thank you for putting it into proper words.

They need to fix this. Until then, I can’t recommend this car. It would otherwise be an excellent car.

need4spd 01-16-2020 06:32 AM

If I drive with the transmission in sport ("S" in center of tach on dash) using the gear selector, I don't get the lag. Have you tried that? PS - sport automatically disables start/stop

Around town I use sport and on the highway I move it back to D

I have been trying using dynamic for the transmission and that seems better, which per the owners manual is the same as putting the transmission in sport mode, except you still have the auto start/stop.

Agreed it is a ECU DSG issue, as it is on both the 55 and 45, my friend has the 55 and I have the 45 and it is on both.

I recommend you try using "Sport" on the transmission gear selector and see if that works better for you.

It is amazing that it has this ECU/transmission lag when cars before it did not, but these (45 and 55) are first with mild hybrid.

JohnnyDriver 01-16-2020 04:18 PM

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, need4spd! I often use Sport mode in order to avoid this problem. However, while I enjoy the increased responsiveness, in everyday driving it can make the car feel more high-strung and nervous than I sometimes want.

I will also check out the dynamic transmission mode. I had not previously seen that setting.

Doug2.7 01-20-2020 06:39 PM

One can turn off the engine off/on by a simple switch above and left of the lower middle screen. No need to go into Sport mode...

JohnnyDriver 01-20-2020 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Doug2.7 (Post 25410965)
One can turn off the engine off/on by a simple switch above and left of the lower middle screen. No need to go into Sport mode...

The issue is not with the Auto Start Stop system. It’s that if you’re going 3 MPH and you press the accelerator there’s often no response.

John Simcox 01-21-2020 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by JohnnyDriver (Post 25410998)
The issue is not with the Auto Start Stop system. It’s that if you’re going 3 MPH and you press the accelerator there’s often no response.

For the past few days I have been frinving my car with Drive Select set to "Comfort". Apart from the transmission being far less "grabby" it also seems more responsive in the scenario you describe. May be my imagination of course!