AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c5-platform-discussion-7/)
-   -   Dash cupholder stuck open (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c5-platform-discussion-7/dash-cupholder-stuck-open-2783997/)

TheSilverBullet 06-02-2010 05:47 AM

Dash cupholder stuck open

Has anyone ever had their dash cupholder get stuck open? By stuck, I don't mean that it won't move. It slides back into the dash just fine, but it won't stay closed. When I push it into the dash, there is no "click" feeling as there used to be. It just pops straight out as soon as I push it in.

I used to have the problem of the cupholder sticking closed until I cleaned it with some warm water, after which it worked fine until this. Does anybody have an idea as to how I can fix this?

SloopJohnB@mac.com 06-02-2010 06:03 AM

Generally they have to be replaced. One of the plastic bits inside is broken.

TheSilverBullet 06-02-2010 06:07 AM

Damn.

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com (Post 23985379)
Generally they have to be replaced. One of the plastic bits inside is broken.

That's what I was afraid of. Do you know where I can find instructions for removing and replacing it?

Lance Kragenbrink 06-02-2010 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by TheSilverBullet (Post 23985373)
Has anyone ever had their dash cupholder get stuck open? By stuck, I don't mean that it won't move. It slides back into the dash just fine, but it won't stay closed. When I push it into the dash, there is no "click" feeling as there used to be. It just pops straight out as soon as I push it in.

I used to have the problem of the cupholder sticking closed until I cleaned it with some warm water, after which it worked fine until this. Does anybody have an idea as to how I can fix this?

If you have to replace it, I bought one from this eBay source and its very nice. Brand spankin new.
There is a tutorial on replacing them somewhere, I think in the
tech articles if I recall...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi-...s#ht_528wt_907

SloopJohnB@mac.com 06-02-2010 06:10 AM

check ebay or online or ask around; one guy on this bb gave me a console cupholder for shipping. Helluva nice guy.
Shouldn't cost more than $50 used.

SloopJohnB@mac.com 06-02-2010 06:27 AM

Buy it quick for $1.99 plus $29 shipping from Hong Kong!

TheSilverBullet 06-02-2010 06:38 AM

LOL

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com (Post 23985397)
Buy it quick for $1.99 plus $29 shipping from Hong Kong!

Yup, just saw that too. I don't mind paying $30+ for one, but it would be nice if I could order it from somewhere on this continent at least so it wouldn't take 14 days or more to arrive...

I'll look around a little bit more and if I don't find one any closer, I guess I'll just have to order it from Hong Kong.

Also, I read the tech article and even though it was for the rear cupholders, I think most of it applies to the front as well and seems pretty straightforward.

Thanks for the quick replies!

Lance Kragenbrink 06-02-2010 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by TheSilverBullet (Post 23985403)
Yup, just saw that too. I don't mind paying $30+ for one, but it would be nice if I could order it from somewhere on this continent at least so it wouldn't take 14 days or more to arrive...

I'll look around a little bit more and if I don't find one any closer, I guess I'll just have to order it from Hong Kong.

Also, I read the tech article and even though it was for the rear cupholders, I think most of it applies to the front as well and seems pretty straightforward.

Im pretty sure mine came quicker than two weeks.

Lance Kragenbrink 06-02-2010 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by TheSilverBullet (Post 23985403)

Im pretty sure mine came quicker than two weeks.

sqplus 06-03-2010 10:15 PM

I think I have one or two dash cupholders in my 'extra' parts bin that are in good shape. They may be missing the front plate with the little 'cup/straw' icon on them but they work, I'll check tomorrow and respond here.