A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Dash cupholder stuck open

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash cupholder stuck open

Has anyone ever had their dash cupholder get stuck open? By stuck, I don't mean that it won't move. It slides back into the dash just fine, but it won't stay closed. When I push it into the dash, there is no "click" feeling as there used to be. It just pops straight out as soon as I push it in.

I used to have the problem of the cupholder sticking closed until I cleaned it with some warm water, after which it worked fine until this. Does anybody have an idea as to how I can fix this?
Old 06-02-2010, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Generally they have to be replaced. One of the plastic bits inside is broken.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Damn.

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Generally they have to be replaced. One of the plastic bits inside is broken.
That's what I was afraid of. Do you know where I can find instructions for removing and replacing it?
Old 06-02-2010, 06:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TheSilverBullet
Has anyone ever had their dash cupholder get stuck open? By stuck, I don't mean that it won't move. It slides back into the dash just fine, but it won't stay closed. When I push it into the dash, there is no "click" feeling as there used to be. It just pops straight out as soon as I push it in.

I used to have the problem of the cupholder sticking closed until I cleaned it with some warm water, after which it worked fine until this. Does anybody have an idea as to how I can fix this?
If you have to replace it, I bought one from this eBay source and its very nice. Brand spankin new.
There is a tutorial on replacing them somewhere, I think in the
tech articles if I recall...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi-...s#ht_528wt_907
Old 06-02-2010, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

check ebay or online or ask around; one guy on this bb gave me a console cupholder for shipping. Helluva nice guy.
Shouldn't cost more than $50 used.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Buy it quick for $1.99 plus $29 shipping from Hong Kong!
Old 06-02-2010, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default LOL

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Buy it quick for $1.99 plus $29 shipping from Hong Kong!
Yup, just saw that too. I don't mind paying $30+ for one, but it would be nice if I could order it from somewhere on this continent at least so it wouldn't take 14 days or more to arrive...

I'll look around a little bit more and if I don't find one any closer, I guess I'll just have to order it from Hong Kong.

Also, I read the tech article and even though it was for the rear cupholders, I think most of it applies to the front as well and seems pretty straightforward.

Thanks for the quick replies!
Old 06-02-2010, 07:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yup, just saw that too. I don't mind paying $30+ for one, but it would be nice if I could order it from somewhere on this continent at least so it wouldn't take 14 days or more to arrive...

I'll look around a little bit more and if I don't find one any closer, I guess I'll just have to order it from Hong Kong.

Also, I read the tech article and even though it was for the rear cupholders, I think most of it applies to the front as well and seems pretty straightforward.

Im pretty sure mine came quicker than two weeks.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Im pretty sure mine came quicker than two weeks.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think I have one or two dash cupholders in my 'extra' parts bin that are in good shape. They may be missing the front plate with the little 'cup/straw' icon on them but they work, I'll check tomorrow and respond here.

Quick Reply: Dash cupholder stuck open