AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c5-platform-discussion-7/)
-   -   Poll on Vag-Com : Do you let the dealer know you have checked codes / used Vag-Com? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c5-platform-discussion-7/poll-vag-com-do-you-let-dealer-know-you-have-checked-codes-used-vag-com-1683340/)

Grapeking 03-17-2004 05:41 AM

Poll on Vag-Com : Do you let the dealer know you have checked codes / used Vag-Com?

I've heard two distinct thoughts on this:

1. Don't let the dealer know you can peek into the cars "brains". Who knows what the dealer will accuse you of, and the consequences of that.

--OR--

2. Tell the dealer you have a Vag-Com and have looked into the cause for your problem/CEL light/ etc. Maybe the dealer will recognize you as someone who is more savvy than the norm and will treat you better.

What does the group say to this?

Just curious.....

Jeff

QCRAZY 03-17-2004 05:52 AM

You can tell them but they will ignore you, few may actually write it down.

WJClinton 03-17-2004 06:07 AM

I e-mail the codes to the SA 2-3 days prior to bringing my car in

then call to confirm he got them, and what he thinks

Potomac-Greg 03-17-2004 06:16 AM

If you've cleared the code(s), then you really have to tell them. If not...

... then they are going to read and see the codes anyway. I would suspect that if you cleared the codes, and the car did not throw another code, the dealer may be unable to proceed with any work based on your verbal statement that there was a code.

So I guess my thought is that telling them there is a code will rarely have any benefit to you.

The codes are not a diagnosis, just a symptom of a problem. Dealers have a diagnostic procedure to follow based on codes.

Richard Solomon 03-17-2004 07:00 AM

I'm working on "training" a new SA, but the old one would listen

Last problem was a classic - I called with the code for the bad clutch switch, they made me come in (though SA wrote it into the ticket), pulled the code themselves, followed the procedure in the manual, then didn't have the d*mn switch in stock!

The whole point of me calling with the code is for them to check and make sure they've got the parts! Sure, do the diags, make sure the code is right (this one so simple it's funny), but having "extra" parts wouldn't hurt them if it's not.

New SA is awesome otherwise, just got to get him fully "trained" on dealing with me ;) Hopefully next time...

OPTIMUS PRlME 03-17-2004 07:13 AM

walk into the dealership with a can of whoop ass... i always do, and they cringe in fear and get my

**** done proper!!!! *****WAAAAH YAAAAHH JUDO CHOP!!!!!*****

screwynewy 03-17-2004 07:33 AM

Re: walk into the dealership with a can of whoop ass...

"walk into the dealership with a can of whoop ass" You can't be serious You must have been abused as a child. That is a backwards ass approach that you might think works to your advantage but in the long run will catch up with you. They may cringe but I assure you that it is not in fear but in dread.

OPTIMUS PRlME 03-17-2004 07:34 AM

actually i was kidding... i'm very proper...they've done me good so far.. I'd hate

to break that streak.

screwynewy 03-17-2004 07:39 AM

Sorry, I took you literally, missed the joke : )

OPTIMUS PRlME 03-17-2004 07:40 AM

heh heh.. yeah i'm a big jokester...I guess a proper "j/k" in my post wouldn't have hurt .. cheers!!