A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Poll on Vag-Com : Do you let the dealer know you have checked codes / used Vag-Com?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poll on Vag-Com : Do you let the dealer know you have checked codes / used Vag-Com?

I've heard two distinct thoughts on this:

1. Don't let the dealer know you can peek into the cars "brains". Who knows what the dealer will accuse you of, and the consequences of that.

--OR--

2. Tell the dealer you have a Vag-Com and have looked into the cause for your problem/CEL light/ etc. Maybe the dealer will recognize you as someone who is more savvy than the norm and will treat you better.

What does the group say to this?

Just curious.....

Jeff
Old 03-17-2004, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can tell them but they will ignore you, few may actually write it down.
Old 03-17-2004, 06:07 AM

Default I e-mail the codes to the SA 2-3 days prior to bringing my car in

then call to confirm he got them, and what he thinks
Old 03-17-2004, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If you've cleared the code(s), then you really have to tell them. If not...

... then they are going to read and see the codes anyway. I would suspect that if you cleared the codes, and the car did not throw another code, the dealer may be unable to proceed with any work based on your verbal statement that there was a code.

So I guess my thought is that telling them there is a code will rarely have any benefit to you.

The codes are not a diagnosis, just a symptom of a problem. Dealers have a diagnostic procedure to follow based on codes.
Old 03-17-2004, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm working on "training" a new SA, but the old one would listen

Last problem was a classic - I called with the code for the bad clutch switch, they made me come in (though SA wrote it into the ticket), pulled the code themselves, followed the procedure in the manual, then didn't have the d*mn switch in stock!

The whole point of me calling with the code is for them to check and make sure they've got the parts! Sure, do the diags, make sure the code is right (this one so simple it's funny), but having "extra" parts wouldn't hurt them if it's not.

New SA is awesome otherwise, just got to get him fully "trained" on dealing with me Hopefully next time...
Old 03-17-2004, 07:13 AM

Default walk into the dealership with a can of whoop ***... i always do, and they cringe in fear and get my

**** done proper!!!! *****WAAAAH YAAAAHH JUDO CHOP!!!!!*****
Old 03-17-2004, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: walk into the dealership with a can of whoop ***...

"walk into the dealership with a can of whoop ***" You can't be serious You must have been abused as a child. That is a backwards *** approach that you might think works to your advantage but in the long run will catch up with you. They may cringe but I assure you that it is not in fear but in dread.
Old 03-17-2004, 07:34 AM

Default actually i was kidding... i'm very proper...they've done me good so far.. I'd hate

to break that streak.
Old 03-17-2004, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sorry, I took you literally, missed the joke : )
Old 03-17-2004, 07:40 AM

heh heh.. yeah i'm a big jokester...I guess a proper "j/k" in my post wouldn't have hurt .. cheers!!

Quick Reply: Poll on Vag-Com : Do you let the dealer know you have checked codes / used Vag-Com?