AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c6-platform-discussion-58/)
-   -   Battery disconnecting question (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c6-platform-discussion-58/battery-disconnecting-question-3027471/)

Noud 10-17-2021 06:18 PM

Battery disconnecting question

Hey there,

With my current job, i get to drive my 06 A6 for a few days every 10-14 days, i thought to install easy battery disconnect switch on my negative battery terminal or just simply disconnect it while I am away and only connect when I am back home.

Question is, how safe are these switches and would it harm the car to constantly disconnecting the battery?

My worry is that disconnected battery will reset all adaptation and car will go into “learning” mode every two weeks. Does Audi likes that?

jeffpuxx 10-18-2021 08:46 AM

Just curious, but why do you even want to do this?

Noud 10-18-2021 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by jeffpuxx (Post 25640895)
Just curious, but why do you even want to do this?

my battery drains

UCLABB 10-18-2021 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Noud (Post 25640900)
my battery drains

Get a relatively inexpensi8ve battery tender. But, if you dive a few days every 10-14 days, I doubt you need anything.

Noud 10-18-2021 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by UCLABB (Post 25640903)
Get a relatively inexpensi8ve battery tender. But, if you dive a few days every 10-14 days, I doubt you need anything.

got it!

but i am curious from technical side. Would often resets hurt car?

beep-beep 10-18-2021 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Noud (Post 25640996)
got it!

but i am curious from the technical side. Would often resets hurt car?

Audi attempted to develop its own battery disconnect - the battery computer. It tries to sort out how much battery energy left and shuts down some circuits after another. It has five levels of these circuits.
If you will disconnect the power yourself - it will cause all car's computers to lose their memory. I do not think it is the best approach. It mean every time you drive the ECM will learn the engine parameters and you will need to teach the seat its position and radio its stations.
Of course, if you can use tender - go for it. Just be sure that you connect to the terminals under the hood and not in the trunk.

I think a fair question is why the battery drains? It should survive for 2 weeks without driving. There is a way to find what causes the battery to drain. You need to connect milliampermetter between the battery and the wire. turn off the car; remove one fuse at a time and see where the current from the battery will drop to 50mA. I did it when my battery was draining. I found that some of the MMI devices did not fall to sleep and continued consuming power after the car was locked. There are some youtube videos how to do it.
is one .

Sallad 10-19-2021 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by beep-beep (Post 25641027)
...question is why the battery drains? It should survive for 2 weeks without driving.

I'd look into this first.

Noud 10-19-2021 06:37 PM

I guess Ill have to start poking with my multimeter. Im pretty sure its something MMI related, nothing else seems possibly stay on.