AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d3-platform-discussion-60/)
-   -   2 Part Qestion! (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d3-platform-discussion-60/2-part-qestion-2802279/)

williebone 03-17-2011 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by jakematic (Post 24117942)
2004 A8/A8L Alignment Specs

Front axle Standard 1BK
Camber: - 1 ° +/- 25’
Maximum permissible difference between both sides: 30'
Toe setting for each wheel (unladen): + 8’ +/- 4’
Toe check value for each wheel (unladen): + 8’ +/- 6’
Toe constant per wheel (setting value): - 5’ +/- 4’
Toe constant for each wheel (check value): - 5’ +/- 6’
Toe differential angle at 20 ° (*1): 1 ° 36’ +/- 30’
(*1) Wheel stop on outer wheel is reduced by this amount. It can also be indicated negatively in alignment computer, depending on manufacturer.

Rear axle Standard 1BK
Camber: - 1 ° 15’ +/- 20’
Maximum permissible difference between both sides: 20’
Toe for each wheel: + 12’ +/- 4’
Total toe :+ 24’ +/- 7.5’
Maximum permissible deviation in direction of travel relative to vehicle longitudinal axis: 10’

Here's the Work Order PrintOut Data:
Before Measurements Front:
LF Camber: -1°08'
LF Toe: 0°07'
RF Camber: -1°03'
RF Toe: 0°06'
Front Total Toe: 0°14'
Steer Ahead: 0°00'
Before Measurements Rear:
LR Camber: -1°27'
LR Toe: -0°01'
RR Camber: -1°27'
RR Toe: 0°04'
Rear Total Toe: 0°03'
Thrust Angle: -0°02'
Current Measurements Front:
LF Camber: -1°02'
LF Toe: 0°07'
RF Camber: -0°48'
RF Toe: 0°08'
Front Total Toe: 0°14'
Steer Ahead: 0°00'
Current Measurements Rear:
LR Camber: -1°17'
LR Toe: 0°11'
RR Camber: -1°20'
RR Toe: 0°11'
Rear Total Toe: 0°23'
Thrust Angle: 0°00'

I was told that Numbers can be minipulated, but I doubt that this is the case here. There has to be a Logical Explanation for the Drifting/Wondering that occurs more so noticeably at High Rates of Speed. It can't be anything with Power Steering or Speed Sensative Steering Preasure because the only things that were Repaired was Tower Bracket and TieRods. It's very responsive, but that Play in the Steering (Drifting/Wondering) has to be associated with this Alignment. Thanks

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0 (Post 24118035)
Tires: I think Audi says something like 2% running difference. Well, if you do the math that is several tenths on an inch in diameter change, so I would not expect minor treadwear differences to matter. Hasn't for me in probably 500K miles across many Audi's.

Suspension:

Well it's confirmed that putting on the Better Tire of the 2 would not cause any harm. As for the Suspension, I wasn't looking into changing anything, but wanted it back to it's Original Ride which was Straight and Tight. I never wanted the Body Shop to Tackle the Strut Tower Bracket, but I understand why they did it. It was the only way to move the Car around from Station to Station sort of speak. So this is the First time the Suspension was Dropped, but on the Ride home it was an Unpleasant Experience so that when I found out that the Outer and Inner Tie Rod was Tweaked and I had both Replaced. This was the Second Time the Suspension was Dropped. Now it had to be Aligned by Audi and on the Trip to Michigan I was Wondering to the Right and pulling it back on line to the Left. Driving 3 Hrs with 1 Hand at the 5 O'Clock postion was a Chore. My goal is to PinPoint the Cause. Thanks

Originally Posted by bac2h (Post 24118041)
Your suspension settings in the mmi screen will show your suspension as sport if it is so equippped. Also the sport suspension was part of a package that had the paddle shifters and NO heated steering wheel.

Ok, I now understand that 1BK is the Proper Program for Aligning my A8L. Thanks

mishar 03-17-2011 02:33 PM

Alignment numbers are fine except I do not understand differences in Chamber angles before and after. Chamber can’t be adjusted on A8 so it has to be constant. It might be that guys machine is not working properly. Wondering usually comes from opened (negative) toe angle.

williebone 03-17-2011 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by mishar (Post 24118153)
Alignment numbers are fine except I do not understand differences in Chamber angles before and after. Chamber can’t be adjusted on A8 so it has to be constant. It might be that guys machine is not working properly. Wondering usually comes from opened (negative) toe angle.

From what I understand talking with Suspension Pros, it's the Caster that can't be adjusted on the A8. I could be wrong or maybe I misunderstood, but I've had quite a Few indepth discussions on the Topic. It has always been Tight and Held its Line without Drift, so I'm looking at the RF adjustment that was made. Those numbers were fine to begin with and why not just Straighten the Steering Wheel and Balance the Rear since its number were in the Red Zone? Thanks

Brozee 03-17-2011 09:10 PM

How did your post help in any way? Stop posting in here as no one here in the A8 section cares or wants to read anything you say.

mishar 03-17-2011 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by williebone (Post 24118163)
From what I understand talking with Suspension Pros, it's the Caster that can't be adjusted on the A8. I could be wrong or maybe I misunderstood, but I've had quite a Few indepth discussions on the Topic. It has always been Tight and Held its Line without Drift, so I'm looking at the RF adjustment that was made. Those numbers were fine to begin with and why not just Straighten the Steering Wheel and Balance the Rear since its number were in the Red Zone? Thanks

In order to straighten the steering wheel they had to readjust both front wheels. You are right about chaster. It can't be adjusted either.

If I remember well one of attaching points for upper link was ripped of. Or it was some other car? What was done with it? They should measure chaster too. It can't be adjusted but it can bi off.

s4master1 03-17-2011 09:37 PM

help

Originally Posted by Brozee (Post 24118274)
How did your post help in any way? Stop posting in here as no one here in the A8 section cares or wants to read anything you say.

have not seen one from you that actually helps, telling somebody to live with an oil leak or if is too expensive let it alone is not exactly helping.
my post is very specific towards somebody, don't let it bother you, as I stated in his other thread the rack has internal damage, if he does not want to have it look at is his problem and.
DO YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS????
tell him to hold the steering wheel and live with it.
if you don't care don't read it.

williebone 03-18-2011 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by mishar (Post 24118275)
In order to straighten the steering wheel they had to readjust both front wheels. You are right about chaster. It can't be adjusted either.

If I remember well one of attaching points for upper link was ripped of. Or it was some other car? What was done with it? They should measure chaster too. It can't be adjusted but it can bi off.

It's going back to Audi for a Re-Check and they will take a look at all things considered. It's a Solid Ride and I know the Highways can be such a Uneven Place to Test Drive, but I don't think that I'm overly picky on this one. Will let you know the Outcome. Thanks and much appreciation. Laters,

ludikraut 03-18-2011 06:21 AM

If you have a local alignment shop, then maybe take it there to have the alignment verified (my local Just Tires is great about doing this for me). Just put the car on the rack and have them give you a reading and printout. If I was in your shoes, I'd be concerned with the camber being off by .5* _after_ the alignment. While mismatched camber shouldn't cause excessive wandering, it's still odd.

Also, to check if you have any play in the steering, you could try pulling the car into the alignment rig straight, take a reading, then turn the wheels right and back to straight ahead, take another reading and repeat by turning left.

Lastly, try remounting the wheels. Could be something as simple as a wheel having been mounted slightly off. Alignment is a game of inches, if not mm (depending on how competitive you are), so everything should be inspected. Check all the suspension bolts too and make sure they were torqued to spec.

l8r)

williebone 03-18-2011 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by ludikraut (Post 24118342)
If you have a local alignment shop, then maybe take it there to have the alignment verified (my local Just Tires is great about doing this for me). Just put the car on the rack and have them give you a reading and printout. If I was in your shoes, I'd be concerned with the camber being off by .5* _after_ the alignment. While mismatched camber shouldn't cause excessive wandering, it's still odd.

Also, to check if you have any play in the steering, you could try pulling the car into the alignment rig straight, take a reading, then turn the wheels right and back to straight ahead, take another reading and repeat by turning left.

Lastly, try remounting the wheels. Could be something as simple as a wheel having been mounted slightly off. Alignment is a game of inches, if not mm (depending on how competitive you are), so everything should be inspected. Check all the suspension bolts too and make sure they were torqued to spec.

l8r)

Some good points to consider! I would think that since the Body Shop was Audi Prefered that as many times they've handled an Audi that they would know Torque Specs, but then again they did let me Drive away without Repairing the Tie Rod. I'll have Audi check Every Single Bolt involved and will have them bring that Camber in a little tighter. Also, the Steering Wheel isn't Perfectly Straight and for the Money I paid them, I'm sure a ReDo shouldn't be an issue. Will update after Service is done or should I say Re-Done. Thanks and laters,