A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 Part Qestion!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2 Part Qestion!

I caught a Nail coming home last night and I have about 50% Tread left on all 4 Tires. I had it Patched not Plugged and switched out the Spare Tire for it. The Spare looks to have about 65% or more Tread left on it. I would assume that the previous owner Bought New Tires and kept one Old Tire for a Spare. I can't remember the Number (Tread Depth) that the Installer gave me for Both Tires but he said that they were in range and it would be Ok to switch them.

My question is what is the Miss Match Tread Depth Difference that is Exceptable in your Opinion?

My next question deals with the Suspension Options on which A8's. I'm trying to find where I can go to Determine which Suspension System (Option) the A8L comes with.

Which Suspension Equipment (Standard/Sports) is Designated to A8, A8L, S-Line, W12 and how do I Determine this for myself (VIN, etc)?

Last edited by williebone; 03-16-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

On the first part: no problem at all.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's not in the VIN, but it may be in the PR codes depending on the model.

Decoder: http://prsearch.planetvag.com/
Old 03-16-2011, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mishar
On the first part: no problem at all.
That's a Big Relief! I know that Quattro is a Different Animal and did not want to take chances, but would've gladly went with the Patched Tire had it been an Issue. Wasn't ready to Drop For 4 new tires with that much Tread Depth remaining. Thanks

Originally Posted by jakematic
It's not in the VIN, but it may be in the PR codes depending on the model.
Very interesting, but there are more features that are not showing up in this Tool such Rear Climate Controls and Dozens of other Feature. NTL, I only saw the 4 Corner Air Suspension which still does not tell me if I have Standard or Sports Suspension. The reason I'm after this Info is because I'm questioning the Alignment that was done. The Hunter Alignment System has Various Options to choose from such as: A8 Standard, S-Line Sports, A8L Sports, etc and I needed to know which one applies. Only because the Tolerances/Specs are Different depending on which A8 is Chosen. Thanks

Last edited by williebone; 03-16-2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by williebone
The reason I'm after this Info is because I'm questioning the Alignment that was done. The Hunter Alignment System has Various Options to choose from such as: A8 Standard, S-Line Sports, A8L Sports, etc and I needed to know which one applies. Only because the Tolerances/Specs are Different depending on which A8 is Chosen. Thanks
My options sticker is light on codes too IMHO.

I looked in the Bentley and it has specs for each suspension type by year. Mine show up as the 1BK (Standard suspension) code from sticker in the manual.

If you want let me know the year and suspension code (1BK, 2MA, 2MB, etc) and I'll post the specs for you.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jakematic
My options sticker is light on codes too IMHO.

I looked in the Bentley and it has specs for each suspension type by year. Mine show up as the 1BK (Standard suspension) code from sticker in the manual.

If you want let me know the year and suspension code (1BK, 2MA, 2MB, etc) and I'll post the specs for you.
It was Aligned using 1BK ('04 A8L). I went on a 3 Hour Trip (6 Hr 2way) and detected a Drifting/Wondering sensation which is manageable with 2 Hands on, but with 1 Hand I was constantly pulling it back on Line which seems to be more Right Dominant and a little left also. I looked at the Before/After Printout and the Rears were in the Red and now they're within Green Exeptable Range. The Front Suspension was Fine to begin with, but the Steering Wheel was about a Quater or Less left of Center. The Steering in Centered now, but I noticed that he Changed the Right Front Specs and I don't think that he should've. So, it lead me to question which Mode should've been selected when setting up the Alignment Program. I'm yet to Contact them to take it back in, but I needed to know what to point out before hand. Thanks,

Last edited by williebone; 03-17-2011 at 05:11 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

2004 A8/A8L Alignment Specs

Front axle Standard 1BK
Camber: - 1 ° +/- 25’
Maximum permissible difference between both sides: 30'
Toe setting for each wheel (unladen): + 8’ +/- 4’
Toe check value for each wheel (unladen): + 8’ +/- 6’
Toe constant per wheel (setting value): - 5’ +/- 4’
Toe constant for each wheel (check value): - 5’ +/- 6’
Toe differential angle at 20 ° (*1): 1 ° 36’ +/- 30’
(*1) Wheel stop on outer wheel is reduced by this amount. It can also be indicated negatively in alignment computer, depending on manufacturer.

Rear axle Standard 1BK
Camber: - 1 ° 15’ +/- 20’
Maximum permissible difference between both sides: 20’
Toe for each wheel: + 12’ +/- 4’
Total toe :+ 24’ +/- 7.5’
Maximum permissible deviation in direction of travel relative to vehicle longitudinal axis: 10’
Old 03-17-2011, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts
Default A few ideas, and related roll bar experience

Tires: I think Audi says something like 2% running difference. Well, if you do the math that is several tenths on an inch in diameter change, so I would not expect minor treadwear differences to matter. Hasn't for me in probably 500K miles across many Audi's.

Suspension:

I see from other posts you know now you have the non-sport suspension. Height wise, you can get to the lowered sport height via the VAG COM mod. I'm a believer that non sport here actually has an advantage for a modder, since you can change it (like lower it w/ in reason part way to baseline sport drop). But MMI still retains the incremental 20MM drop that non-sport has, so you get more total range permitted; sport set ups just give you the last 5mm as I recall.

If I remember right, 2004's may have been set up a bit stiffer. You have to look at the parts # listings for this; it's in the (front?) roll bar if I recall right. That does increase overall understeer most likely though. The air springs were undergoing part number revisions I think too, so hard to know what was happening there--real ride changes vs. some kind of reliability or other change.

The air shocks are $1500+ each, so change there isn't practical if you ever want to. There are three basic levels of roll bars--non sport, sport and S (Not S line on the D3, S as in the V10 S's). That, wheels and the VAG COM tweak are the only practical mods I know of around ride and suspension. I went to S bars on my W12 (which has non sport air suspension and sport level roll bars for its basic set up per my prior parts # confirm). It's beyond the level of this post, but to pull out understeer, one might beef up the roll bar at the rear either one or both levels relative to the front bar. I did both up to the max (S level) just to tighten it all up. And on 275/35 20's. Very satisfied w/ both ride and handling. See my auto sig links for my long prior post on this subject.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-17-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:45 AM
Ace Ventura

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your suspension settings in the mmi screen will show your suspension as sport if it is so equippped. Also the sport suspension was part of a package that had the paddle shifters and NO heated steering wheel.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by bac2h
Your suspension settings in the mmi screen will show your suspension as sport if it is so equippped.
DOH! Can't believe I didn't think of that.

+1

Quick Reply: 2 Part Qestion!