AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d3-platform-discussion-60/)
-   -   A8 D3 keys locked in ignition and battery flat dead / ignition unlock wont work (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d3-platform-discussion-60/a8-d3-keys-locked-ignition-battery-flat-dead-ignition-unlock-wont-work-2871959/)

okegs4ever 09-16-2014 01:21 PM

A8 D3 keys locked in ignition and battery flat dead / ignition unlock wont work

I have an 05 audi a8L. my key is locked in the ignition and battery is flat dead. I have tried the ingition unlock thing where you use a sharp object but there is nothing there and it does not work. Also i canno taccess the trunk release emergency in the trunk but my trunk is full so i cannot access it. There is no jump post under the hood so i am stuck. I tried to use the cigarette lighter jumper thing but cant do anything since battery is flat dead to even just open the trunk.

I am pretty much stuck and need help on what i can do to get this car going as it has sat like this for a month now. I tried to go under to see if i can access the alternator but car is on a slope, though i can see the alternator from the front of the car, i cannot see where the positive terminal is on it

Mister Bally 09-16-2014 02:05 PM

Have it towed to a dealer or service shop. They will get you going.

haggisuk 09-16-2014 02:40 PM

Make sure the gearstick is in the park position with the button on the side of the stick popped out correctly.

Then with the key in the off postion rock the steering to see if it locks and then try the key release button.

Failing that you could possiblly pull the fuse boxes out of either end of the dash to try and connect another battery to get enough juice in to power the car up.

Good luck

MP4.2+6.0 09-16-2014 02:54 PM

Are you saying you cannot get into the trunk?

That just takes a key into the sort of hidden trunk keyhole, even if battery is dead. But maybe you have no other key? (Note to others about need for an extra key...).

+1 on other suggestion about fully locking steering by moving wheel and then seeing if key will come out.

jakematic 09-16-2014 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Bally (Post 24606372)
Have it towed to a dealer or service shop. They will get you going.

Flat bed tow :)
And release the gear selector per the emergency procedure.

And per MP's post, yep you should always have extra keys.

Mister Bally 09-16-2014 03:17 PM

I think virtually all towing companies/drivers know to ask if your Audi is Quattro. Then they bring a flatbed or at least towing dollies. I was asked this in 1988 when I needed a tow.

mishar 09-16-2014 03:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Simpler way to tow. No need for setting it in D. But I would focus on that key release.

Attachment 78149

jakematic 09-16-2014 03:39 PM

Well.. since there are people posting on and reading this thread with thousands fewer posts than us it's a gentle reminder.

And no, I wouldn't trust any tow company.
I tell them what I want - no delivery on that - next.

ps - come to think of it, last time I had a vehicle snatched from my reserved parking spot they never asked me.... lots of crunching noises as I sipped my coffee and rounded the corner.

okegs4ever 09-16-2014 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by haggisuk (Post 24606382)
Make sure the gearstick is in the park position with the button on the side of the stick popped out correctly.

Then with the key in the off postion rock the steering to see if it locks and then try the key release button.

Failing that you could possiblly pull the fuse boxes out of either end of the dash to try and connect another battery to get enough juice in to power the car up.

Good luck

how do i hook up the other battery to the fuse box? i am not very mechanically/electrically inclined.

haggisuk 09-17-2014 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by okegs4ever (Post 24606495)
how do i hook up the other battery to the fuse box? i am not very mechanically/electrically inclined.

I had a look at my fuse boxes and its probably too much hassle to get a bus connection on the back.

It may or may not be possible to insert power via a blade type connector in place of a 30amp fuse but I can make no guarantees on power actually getting to where it needs to be due to the complex nature of these cars.

I would if I were you focus on getting the key out.

I trust you have done the following

Agero Network News: Unlocking the Ignition Key in the Audi A8