AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d3-platform-discussion-60/)
-   -   about to take the plunge (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d3-platform-discussion-60/about-take-plunge-2860894/)

MP4.2+6.0 02-05-2014 07:23 AM

Any Audi/VW experienced indy hold be able to do...

Cost varies depending on whether you just do belt only, or preemptively do water pump, thermostat, coolant, rollers, tensioner and serp. belt. Parts costs vary too depending on whether you go dealer, OE equivalent/name brands, or unknown "cheap" package of the week. Many of us do either all of the dealer only parts, or a mix of the first two where the name brands are easy to find. Several have been burned on the initial "cheap" approach, and faux "German" or Euro sounding brand names may really be offshore junk of dubious origin if you don't know who's who among the OES's. Figure a guestimate $500-1500 as a broad range if you have it done, depending on indy vs. dealer, how many parts and related incremental labor, etc.

As noted, your target spec of 2006 and later picks up the 2006's as the last year w/ a timing belt in the 4.2's. By 2007 you get FSI w/ no more belt, a bit more power, to be balanced some occasional complaints about FSI fouling, and a rear back up camera. At 2008 you get the last major updates before the D4.

scottybooj 02-05-2014 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0 (Post 24537569)
Cost varies depending on whether you just do belt only, or preemptively do water pump, thermostat, coolant, rollers, tensioner and serp. belt. Parts costs vary too depending on whether you go dealer, OE equivalent/name brands, or unknown "cheap" package of the week. Many of us do either all of the dealer only parts, or a mix of the first two where the name brands are easy to find. Several have been burned on the initial "cheap" approach, and faux "German" or Euro sounding brand names may really be offshore junk of dubious origin if you don't know who's who among the OES's. Figure a guestimate $500-1500 as a broad range if you have it done, depending on indy vs. dealer, how many parts and related incremental labor, etc.

As noted, your target spec of 2006 and later picks up the 2006's as the last year w/ a timing belt in the 4.2's. By 2007 you get FSI w/ no more belt, a bit more power, to be balanced some occasional complaints about FSI fouling, and a rear back up camera. At 2008 you get the last major updates before the D4.

So, to be clear, this 2007 I'm looking at had a timing chain which is not an issue?

Thanks again to everyone. I'm psyched to get this in my garage already.

greginfinity 02-05-2014 08:44 AM

Correct, 2007+ model years in the USA use timing chains. The only gotcha with the chain is that it might stretch (not sure how chains stretch), or more likely the tensioners wear down or break causing the chain issues.

HOWEVER, I am not sure there is a single case of this on the D3 (search)? On other Audis with similar engines it does happen I believe.

MP4.2+6.0 02-05-2014 09:53 AM

2007and newer are chains only, in every D3 motor sold in N.A.

Before 2007, it's a belt in the 4.2, but always chain(s) in W12 that went back to 2005 in USA.

RocketSurgeon 02-05-2014 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by greginfinity (Post 24537601)
Correct, 2007+ model years in the USA use timing chains. The only gotcha with the chain is that it might stretch (not sure how chains stretch), or more likely the tensioners wear down or break causing the chain issues.

HOWEVER, I am not sure there is a single case of this on the D3 (search)? On other Audis with similar engines it does happen I believe.

Lots of people with the S4 or A6 4.2 complain of chain issues, but those cars are much more prone to being driven hard. Perhaps that accounts for the difference. Those cars are also more common. It's just worrying that a timing chain overhaul is an engine out service $$$.

Vasco Spassov 02-05-2014 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by greginfinity (Post 24537601)

Yes, chains do stretch! I found out when I bought a motorcycle, and after awhile had to re-tension the big-big (in comparison to a car engine's one) chain!
Maybe someone can tell us how exactly it happens!