AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d3-platform-discussion-60/)
-   -   Hood release wire snapped, hood closed (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d3-platform-discussion-60/hood-release-wire-snapped-hood-closed-2830934/)

Mr_Funky 07-31-2012 01:23 PM

Hood release wire snapped, hood closed

Hi,

I just bought my first Audi last week and when i tried to open the hood the wire snapped (it worked when i tested the car). The fault is not inside, i opened the panels etc and the wire is OK so the fault is under the hood.

Anyone who knows if it can be fixed without using a saw...

Its a 2003 years model A8 4.2Q

Thanks for anything that can help me, i have to wait 4 weeks until they had time on Audi service and it sounded like they didnīt know how to fix it..

K9COP 07-31-2012 01:39 PM

I don't envy you there buddy...

.. but, I just went out and had a look at my car (2005). My best advice, just from looking at it, would maybe be to try and go in by removing the front wheel well liner. As far as I can see, the two cables on my car come up (LHD) and split above the driver's side headlight then one goes to the drivers side catch, and one to the passenger side (two catches). I can't see for sure if that would give you access to where they emerge from the cabin or not. Of course it depends where it broke, but you may be able to grab an end and pull it physically to release it. I don't see an easy way of getting up behind the radiator or even behind the A/C condenser.

There's some smart guys on here who know these cars well, and they'll chip in, but that's my first thoughts...

K9

Originally Posted by Mr_Funky (Post 24329833)
Hi,

I just bought my first Audi last week and when i tried to open the hood the wire snapped (it worked when i tested the car). The fault is not inside, i opened the panels etc and the wire is OK so the fault is under the hood.

Anyone who knows if it can be fixed without using a saw...

Its a 2003 years model A8 4.2Q

Thanks for anything that can help me, i have to wait 4 weeks until they had time on Audi service and it sounded like they didnīt know how to fix it..

Mister Bally 07-31-2012 06:26 PM

Assuming we are dealing with a D3 model in North America; Remove the driver's front tire and fender liner. Hope you have small hands, Directly above the Xenon headlight is a small balck rectangle shaped box, the size of four postage stamps. pull it out and open it up. cables are spliced in there. Pull on it with pliers. the far latch's cable is spliced just "past" that box. Maybe you can get to it and pull.

My '87 5000CSQ had a broken cable. It was easy to remove the grille and pop the latches. On this car, you would probably have to ruin the grille to get to the latches. With the lower engine cover off, there is little room to get up to the bottom of the latch assemblies. I would think the cables are over-engineered but I guess not based on your issue.

Good luck.

K9COP 07-31-2012 06:53 PM

What he said....

I took some pictures of mine, let me know if you need them posted for reference.

K9

Originally Posted by Mister Bally (Post 24329950)
Assuming we are dealing with a D3 model in North America; Remove the driver's front tire and fender liner. Hope you have small hands, Directly above the Xenon headlight is a small balck rectangle shaped box, the size of four postage stamps. pull it out and open it up. cables are spliced in there. Pull on it with pliers. the far latch's cable is spliced just "past" that box. Maybe you can get to it and pull.

My '87 5000CSQ had a broken cable. It was easy to remove the grille and pop the latches. On this car, you would probably have to ruin the grille to get to the latches. With the lower engine cover off, there is little room to get up to the bottom of the latch assemblies. I would think the cables are over-engineered but I guess not based on your issue.

Good luck.

Mr_Funky 07-31-2012 10:47 PM

Thanks

Thanks for helping me out, i will begin at the front wheel and see if i can reach the box. I will let you know if i am lucky with this or not.

mishar 08-01-2012 12:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This may help. Good luck.

Attachment 79067"]

K9COP 08-01-2012 10:51 AM

photos emailed....

K9

Originally Posted by mishar (Post 24329994)

Mr_Funky 08-01-2012 01:31 PM

Problem solved

Thanks to you all i succeded with this,it was tight but possible!

K9COP 08-01-2012 05:36 PM

good work!

Well done. Maybe a quick write up could assist others who have the same problem?

K9

Originally Posted by Mr_Funky (Post 24330251)
Thanks to you all i succeded with this,it was tight but possible!

mishar 08-01-2012 06:35 PM

Glad to hear that. Actually it's very good to know what to do in such situation. Of course on can always have help here, but what about poor guys who are not on this forum. :)