AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d3-platform-discussion-60/)
-   -   S8 caliper anti rattle clips P/N? + Pics of my A8, 22's etc.. (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d3-platform-discussion-60/s8-caliper-anti-rattle-clips-p-n-pics-my-a8-22s-etc-2816166/)

Lexdiamondz10304 11-06-2011 08:52 AM

S8 caliper anti rattle clips P/N? + Pics of my A8, 22's etc..

3 Attachment(s)
Hi, everyone, long time reader, first time Poster. I will be having my calipers powdercoated, and im having trouble finding the PN for the S8 anti rattle clips. I do know that they can be bought as a separate part, and can be used with 04 model year calipers. I've seen other members on other forums with this mod, any help would be appreciated.

PS: my car is a 2004L, VagCom Lowered, Magnaflow exhaust (sounds real nice and stealthy), running 22x10.5 rear, 22x9 front, with Nitto Invos, and a "ebay" lip spoiler that was painted to match..

ayrula 11-06-2011 01:22 PM

Clean looking ride. What offset did you go with on the wheels. Aside from vag lowering did you do anything else to the suspension. How is the ride with the 22s any rubbing?

Mike141 11-06-2011 02:24 PM

Car looks nice, any way for you to post a better pic of that rear lip, I was thinking of getting one of those on my ride. What's the setup on that exhaust, just mufflers? Thanks

Lexdiamondz10304 11-06-2011 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by ayrula (Post 24220615)
Clean looking ride. What offset did you go with on the wheels. Aside from vag lowering did you do anything else to the suspension. How is the ride with the 22s any rubbing?

The offset is 35et on both front and rear. And no, just vagcom lowered as of now. I will be going 1/2" lower via lowering links soon. And no, no rubbing issues at all. Keep in mind I chose a 275/30/22 in the rear and a 255/30/22 in the front. A 285 in the rear on a 10.5" wheel might rub or be pretty damn close to the inner wheel liner.

Lexdiamondz10304 11-06-2011 03:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Mike141 (Post 24220646)
Car looks nice, any way for you to post a better pic of that rear lip, I was thinking of getting one of those on my ride. What's the setup on that exhaust, just mufflers? Thanks

The lip is worth it in my opinion. I paid 45 dollars, painted, and it matches perfectly. It's subtle, and makes the rear looks more sporty. You can put it on in less than 5 minutes, and worst case scenario, if you don't like it, just take it off, and you are only out 45 bucks. Here's the only other pic I have. Sorry im posting from an Iphone.

As far as the Magnaflow's I kept all the stock piping and just swapped out the mufflers. It gives the exhaust a much better tone. Nothing too loud. Sounds real nice if you step on it. And no loud drone at hwy speeds.

Brozee 11-06-2011 06:06 PM

Don't want to rain on your parade. This is my opinion only; don't take offense but I think your rims look a bit ridiculous placed on an A8. They may look at home on a Lincoln LS or an escalade but they are like a 5'8 man with size 14 shoes...

Lexdiamondz10304 11-06-2011 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Brozee (Post 24220739)
Don't want to rain on your parade. This is my opinion only; don't take offense but I think your rims look a bit ridiculous placed on an A8. They may look at home on a Lincoln LS or an escalade but they are like a 5'8 man with size 14 shoes...

Funny, I also had a Lincoln LS back when I was 16, on 20's lowered, custom everything. Wheel's look alot bigger than they really are because they have no "lip". The stock 18's looked way to small for a car that size. I think 20" wheels look best, on a A8, for a clean oem look. I originally wanted the 21" MTM but for 8k, nah, so I got these for 1400. Im a fan of bigger wheels, some are not, to each his own.

Brozee 11-06-2011 08:04 PM

How is the ride quality with them? I would never run them in Michigan, but was on the border of getting 20" for the months without snow. Did you have to raise the car at all or do you just have it running in "comfort" mode to have it raised so it doesn't rub?

mishar 11-06-2011 10:08 PM

I don't like how it looks, but that's not important. That's only meter of taste. A bit more important are facts that wider rear tires on a nose heavy car just improves under steering, that there is difference between front and rear diameter what makes mid differential to work overtime and that's one with limited slip, that they are quite larger than OEM what makes speedometer inaccurate and combined with larger rims kills performance and finally 30's profile kills ride quality.

Lexdiamondz10304 11-06-2011 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Brozee (Post 24220789)
How is the ride quality with them? I would never run them in Michigan, but was on the border of getting 20" for the months without snow. Did you have to raise the car at all or do you just have it running in "comfort" mode to have it raised so it doesn't rub?

Ride quality is not that bad as expected. Not much worse than running the stock 18's at max psi. And I always drive with the suspension in "dynamic" mode (keep in mind I am lowered max allowed through VagCom, so the suspension is a bit stiffer) and have no rubbing issues at all. I took alot of measurements to calculate which tire would be best to not rub, and bit my nails until the tire shop set my car back on the ground, and cleared. And yeah, I wouldn't ride a set up like this if I were in Michigan. I have been to Marquette in winter, and the roads are rough. I live in Southern California, so it's 70 year round, and luckly don't take many rough roads.

Lexdiamondz10304 11-06-2011 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by mishar (Post 24220820)
I don't like how it looks, but that's not important. That's only meter of taste. A bit more important are facts that wider rear tires on a nose heavy car just improves under steering, that there is difference between front and rear diameter what makes mid differential to work overtime and that's one with limited slip, that they are quite larger than OEM what makes speedometer inaccurate and combined with larger rims kills performance and finally 30's profile kills ride quality.

About the "staggered" fitment I helped offset this by adding 15mm spacers to the front, also because it fills up the fender much more nicely, thus leaving the front about 1/2" more inward than the rear. And the quattro's torsen based center differential is only affected by running wheels of different rolling diameter not width. So, what about performance? I bought this car as a cruiser, if "performance" was what I was seeking, I would of purchased something else. This car rarely sees higher RPMs than 2500. And as far as the speedo difference, OEM vs. My aftermarket setup, my speedo is off by 3% (slower), and I can live with that, since I'll probably keep this car until it sees the bone yard.

Hilden 11-07-2011 01:22 AM

Looks great. I donīt think the wheels look out of place. Normally 22s without lip look a bit overdone but this design works well IMO. Iīm trying to find Bimotos in 21" as well but they are rare on the 2nd hand market, in good condition, so might end up with 22s as well.

Mister Bally 11-07-2011 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by Lexdiamondz10304 (Post 24220515)
Hi, everyone, long time reader, first time Poster. I will be having my calipers powdercoated, and im having trouble finding the PN for the S8 anti rattle clips. I do know that they can be bought as a separate part, and can be used with 04 model year calipers. I've seen other members on other forums with this mod, any help would be appreciated.

PS: my car is a 2004L, VagCom Lowered, Magnaflow exhaust (sounds real nice and stealthy), running 22x10.5 rear, 22x9 front, with Nitto Invos, and a "ebay" lip spoiler that was painted to match..

Looks great. That's my favorite color. As for "anti rattle clips"; why not use the prroper parts for your car? What kind of problem are you having or arying to avoid?

mishar 11-07-2011 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Lexdiamondz10304 (Post 24220825)
About the "staggered" fitment I helped offset this by adding 15mm spacers to the front, ...

I don't see that on your pictures. 35 mm offset plus 15 mm spacers would be 20mm offset and your wheels would stick far out from your fenders and still it won't help with under steer.

Of course if performance, including braking, doesn't matter, why would under steer.

And the quattro's torsen based center differential is only affected by running wheels of different rolling diameter not width.
Is that so? And your rolling diameters are same on fronts and rears?

I bought this car as a cruiser, ...
Most of A8 are driven way under performance maximum, but I still don't like crippling for the sake of looks. That goes more with ancient cultures.

Lexdiamondz10304 11-07-2011 11:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Mister Bally (Post 24220843)
Looks great. That's my favorite color. As for "anti rattle clips"; why not use the prroper parts for your car? What kind of problem are you having or arying to avoid?

Actually the clips themsleves do nothing. It's just asthetics. I want to find a set, then powdercoat my calipers and put a regular audi logo on them. Just a minor mod. Something similar to this...

mikesd1980 11-07-2011 02:38 PM

Nice car! I like them wheels on there. They dont stick out alot as to what I am used to seeing on cars with big wheels. I have a friend with a 06 750iL and he have 22's and they stick out at least 2 inches.

Is there any series # magnaflow that you went with? I see different series numbers on there website. What tips did you go with?

Mister Bally 11-07-2011 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Lexdiamondz10304 (Post 24221108)
Actually the clips themsleves do nothing. It's just asthetics. I want to find a set, then powdercoat my calipers and put a regular audi logo on them. Just a minor mod. Something similar to this...

Gotcha. When I recently replaced the front pads, I spray painted mine silver. Next time maybe red!

Lexdiamondz10304 11-07-2011 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by mikesd1980 (Post 24221214)
Nice car! I like them wheels on there. They dont stick out alot as to what I am used to seeing on cars with big wheels. I have a friend with a 06 750iL and he have 22's and they stick out at least 2 inches.

Is there any series # magnaflow that you went with? I see different series numbers on there website. What tips did you go with?

Thanks! And as far as the exhaust I don't remember. I let my exhaust shop recommend the mufflers. The tips cost me 50 bucks, and are just regular double wall stainless slant cut, 3.5", same as stock, except they look a little bigger since they dont have the rolled lip. All said and done, cost was 250.

jk06a8 11-07-2011 05:45 PM

rear lip

would dig the link to that rear lip. looks great. jeremy@artmachine.com
thnx
j

jk06a8 11-08-2011 08:05 AM

thanks just ordered the rear boot spoiler. looking forward to getting it.

jk06a8 11-17-2011 11:15 AM

spoiler looks good

2 Attachment(s)
cant beat the price thnx guys

Lexdiamondz10304 11-17-2011 10:44 PM

Looks good man!

Matt@H2OTuning 10-06-2012 07:53 AM

Newbie here. Did we ever get the P/N for the S8 Caliper Clips?

03_AR_CO 10-08-2012 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Matt@H2OTuning (Post 24356151)
Newbie here. Did we ever get the P/N for the S8 Caliper Clips?

I would like to know the part number too

Matt@H2OTuning 10-12-2012 08:33 AM

After several discussions with ECS Tuning they state that the A8 Calipers (4.2L) are the same as the S4 therefore the S8 Caliper Clip will not work. Still didn't get a P/N though.

MP4.2+6.0 10-12-2012 02:10 PM

See my other reply.

I think this is bad info from ECS.

Matt@H2OTuning 10-12-2012 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0 (Post 24358975)
I think this is bad info from ECS.

Have done more digging and still haven't found the correct P/N.

MP4.2+6.0 10-12-2012 02:49 PM

Don't know what you are using for part #'s (and skip ECS), but...

try Jim Ellis Audi parts on line. They typically have part numbers, unlike audiusaparts for example. They won't have the cheapest price though from what I've seen:

http://www.jimellisaudiparts.com/sho...rimLevel=19049

Try part #4, for the S8 that is with the A suffix rather than the A6 and other A8's, w/ the B suffix--had to enter a 2008 since their pull down menus don't have a 2007 S8 like they should.

Should thus yield 4E0 615 269A. Then on audiusaparts, price goes from a way high $139.25 to a still high $103.25 (each). Yet pricier than they used to be. As I thought, ECS comes up with the oft very tiny amount under list at $135.23, and their shipping usually seems somewhat high.

And backtracking, it looks like the B suffix part is the W12 part and in turn the 4.2 part. Notice no listing for an S4 either as a crossreference on the part. Instead, here's the Ellis page for a 4.2 S4: http://www.jimellisaudiparts.com/sho...driveLine=8055

Again, part 4. Notice no suffix letter. Can be all important on Audi trim parts; wheel center covers for example. Thus, as I expected ECS was wrong per an Audi dealer's parts listings--and the likely truth is they are using one generation older think as I mentioned earlier. You could still order the part there by # at the higher price, but notice they give no info about it if you type it in to their search box.

There is still the rattle can quick spray approach for cheap alternative. Easy to do in one color; hard in two as I play with at times, plus at least mine have some weird hot spot in one place that wont take paint even after sanding. My rear caliper decals have held up fine to brake heat as another option/add on, as have some I have done on a set of Mini JCW/Brembo front calipers. Still working on getting to a die cut W12 logo with an S8 like look for when I have way too much spare time.

K9COP 10-12-2012 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Lexdiamondz10304 (Post 24220515)

Good work, but you can paint your existing anti rattle clips. See my post on caliper painting. Not sure I'd recommend powder coating. Will that work with tolerances etc? PM if you need more info,.

K9

anthony85 10-21-2012 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Lexdiamondz10304 (Post 24220656)
The offset is 35et on both front and rear. And no, just vagcom lowered as of now. I will be going 1/2" lower via lowering links soon. And no, no rubbing issues at all. Keep in mind I chose a 275/30/22 in the rear and a 255/30/22 in the front. A 285 in the rear on a 10.5" wheel might rub or be pretty damn close to the inner wheel liner.

What brand wheels are you running? I like that concave setup your running there... The whole is nicely done.

Matt@H2OTuning 11-02-2012 07:24 AM

Looks like PO didn't put back on one of the rattle clips. Does anyone have a spare lying around I could get instead of paying $75 for a brand new one?