AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d4-platform-discussion-190/)
-   -   Carbon ceramic brake noises (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d4-platform-discussion-190/carbon-ceramic-brake-noises-2981934/)

DallasDave 11-03-2019 06:51 AM

Carbon ceramic brake noises

Okay first world problems...I get it, but I still wanted to make certain that my "noises" are not unique. My ride is a 2016 S8 Plus that is fairly new to me (about three to four months). Love it, absolutely love it...but it has been in for service once already (P2096 CEL) and I dread taking it back in for repair. So I thought I would seek advice from this forum. My carbon ceramic brakes squeak. No problem, I expected that and EVERY performance car with this type of brake material has the same issue. I don't care about that, but with the cold weather a new noise has appeared. It only "seems" to be noticed at low speeds and after the car has been parked for several hours (and again, only wth cold temperatures ie below 50 degrees). There is an intermittent distinct howl when pulling away from a stop. The howl reminds me of what an 18-wheeler braking sounds like OR what my old 10-speed bicycle sounded like under hard braking conditions, lol. The noise seems to go away after several minutes of driving.

Is it brakes or could there be a more significant problem like wheel bearing(s), drive line, etc? BTW, there is plenty of brake pad material still available but the pads have never been replaced and the vehicle has ~45k miles.

DallasDave 11-04-2019 02:05 PM

Bump, putting this back on top...

H2oskibum 11-04-2019 11:56 PM

The brakes on my 2016 S8 Plus with carbon ceramics are perfectly quiet. I do seem to notice a little more drivetrain noise at low ambient temperatures, I attributed it to the super sticky summer tires being a bit harder from the cold.

bsparmi 02-25-2023 01:07 PM

2017 Audi S8 Plus

I just bought a 2017 Audi S8 Plus with 24k miles on it. This is my first car with CCB rotors and in cold temperatures I also hear a slight rhythmic dragging sound coming from the front driver side rotor. I don’t think it’s enough friction to affect gas mileage, but is a little annoying. I may attempt to bed the brakes and see if that resolves the issue.

OberklasseA8 02-26-2023 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by bsparmi (Post 25793433)
I just bought a 2017 Audi S8 Plus with 24k miles on it. This is my first car with CCB rotors and in cold temperatures I also hear a slight rhythmic dragging sound coming from the front driver side rotor. I don’t think it’s enough friction to affect gas mileage, but is a little annoying. I may attempt to bed the brakes and see if that resolves the issue.

I get that sometimes as well... Yeah, I just come to a harder stop and it goes "burns" away. A nice hot bedding session might help for a good while but it will from time to time return. Enjoy the dustless experience btw..

Redisc 03-02-2023 02:13 AM

It really depends, why the noise. I agree with @OberklasseA8 you can try couple of time to speed and stop - please do not so that on cold CCBs. What kind of pads do you have?
Due fact this is a second hand, you never know what was done with the car. Find a mechanic who has Carboteq and let them measure. More about Carboteq is here:
https://www.redisc.si/en/news/carboteq/

Yousef@lr 03-02-2023 08:35 AM

I'm willing to take those CCBs off of whoever's hands do not want them :)

OberklasseA8 03-07-2023 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Redisc (Post 25794914)
I agree with @OberklasseA8 you can try couple of time to speed and stop - please do not so that on cold CCBs. What kind of pads do you have?

I have stock audi OE pads. Do you know what pad options are available?. I never searched yet I guess, didnt think aftermarket pads would be the right way to go..

MikeNSX 07-29-2023 05:21 AM

Like playing a wine glass.

My 2017 S8 with CCB howls like running a wet finger around the rim of a wine glass at first when stopping at the end of my driveway when cold. After a minute of driving, they are silent and smooth but can be grabby and do take some getting used to.

DallasDave 07-29-2023 07:53 AM

Amen, mine are the same way. I recently had the brake system serviced (flush, etc.) and they weren't quite as "grabby". That was months ago.

Now the pedal seems "mushy" and I noticed my rear brake pads only have about 4-5mm of pad surface left (fronts seem fine). So the rear pads are on order and should be here in about ten days. I'm hopeful that the new pads will help.