AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d4-platform-discussion-190/)
-   -   Could REALLY use advice on PCV valve (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d4-platform-discussion-190/could-really-use-advice-pcv-valve-2923036/)

PharmD29 06-21-2017 07:22 PM

Could REALLY use advice on PCV valve

Bought me used D4 two weeks ago only to get a loud whining noise which was clearly the PCV. Felt great as I purchased the gold plus warranty, really fought for that. I was told there was no difference between that and Platinum other than navigation not being covered and not was I wrong. Dealership first said $1500 to replace it then said that would do it for $500 since I just bought it. Two questions, one since it had 44k miles do I have any recourse under clean air any since it deals with emissions? Secondly does that price sound normal to you? Send extremely high to me

Of course this bull**** warranty doesn't cover it when though it's attached to engine it's considered a wear part, what bull****.

A8youup 06-21-2017 08:33 PM

What motor do you have?

Jack88 06-21-2017 09:12 PM

Another warranty that fails to cover the things that actually fail. Go figure. The emissions warranty should cover it, but you need to push it. At least according to EPA literature, it should.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...a235f9dcfc.jpg

MP4.2+6.0 06-21-2017 11:25 PM

Besides motor, what state (or country?) are you in. Matters for emissions warranty.

PharmD29 06-22-2017 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0 (Post 24989146)
Besides motor, what state (or country?) are you in. Matters for emissions warranty.

I have the 4.0T motor (2013), I am in GA, USA.

Audi is telling me that they only have a 4 year 50k mile emissions warranty and I am 4 months outside of the 4 year mark which pisses me off but the EPA rule said 5 years 50k miles so I am a little confused there.

Do you guys think I have any recourse here for this? The guy in service said I would need to have an attorney contact them for them to cover it and that was before I even escalated anything, extremely unprofessional honestly.

Lastly, what would it cost to get this replaced at another shop, $1500 seemed crazy to me for this thing.

PharmD29 06-22-2017 07:22 AM

It is an S8, sorry forgot to mention that.

MP4.2+6.0 06-22-2017 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by PharmD29 (Post 24989279)
I have the 4.0T motor (2013), I am in GA, USA.

Audi is telling me that they only have a 4 year 50k mile emissions warranty and I am 4 months outside of the 4 year mark which pisses me off but the EPA rule said 5 years 50k miles so I am a little confused there.

Do you guys think I have any recourse here for this? The guy in service said I would need to have an attorney contact them for them to cover it and that was before I even escalated anything, extremely unprofessional honestly.

Lastly, what would it cost to get this replaced at another shop, $1500 seemed crazy to me for this thing.

Said directly from what I could gather, SOL other than anything you can work w/ Audi hotline. Be sure to get to an A8/S8 concierge, who I think are allowed a little more latitude given the class of vehicle. Best line of argument is probably it's becoming a known issue on 4.0T and you should be taken care of as a goodwill gesture. As always, Dale Carnegie will probably work better than bluster approach. You might also report the "attorney" comment as part of "just the facts ma'am"--that seems like either a juvenile "make me" statement and/or an unnecessary pre-emptive escalation by whoever said it.

Specifically, general Fed. emissions is only 2 years/24K miles except for a handful of things like converters, OBDII, ECU, etc. The "CARB states" (CA and now west coast, Northeast down to mid Atlantic in general) have 7/70 on a grab bag of emissions components. I looked though and PCV is not among them. It has to do with when the device was in widespread use. Given the Rube Goldberg nature of this specific PCV that is not remotely like the $10 parts store ones I would personally argue that "common use" tie in here, but you aren't in one of the applicable states anyway. Specifics of the emissions warranty are in the overall warranty booklet you should have gotten with vehicle. For folks in the CARB states like me, there is a second supplemental booklet I got for that.

The reason I understand it is expensive--besides the stereotype uber complex German over engineering that Audi always seems to bring to bear on the big motor PCV's--is that it is apparently buried in the V area under the turbos/exhaust manifold so takes a bunch of labor.

Finally, heads up for all/note to file: I am starting to notice some recurrence of these PCV posts, whether here or with the C7 body fitments. A watch area for all of us with 4.0T flavors.

PharmD29 06-22-2017 08:04 AM

Yeah it seems like this issue is extremely widespread. They told me it is a wear part and that is why it isn't covered. I very explicitly told him that is an absurd statement as a $120,000 car should not have a $1500 repair "wear part" at 45,000 miles. 75,000 or 100,000 maybe but 45k?!

PharmD29 06-22-2017 08:05 AM

Does anyone have a number for the concierge?

MP4.2+6.0 06-22-2017 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by PharmD29 (Post 24989312)
Yeah it seems like this issue is extremely widespread. They told me it is a wear part and that is why it isn't covered. I very explicitly told him that is an absurd statement as a $120,000 car should not have a $1500 repair "wear part" at 45,000 miles. 75,000 or 100,000 maybe but 45k?!

No, not a wear part in the normal sense. Baloney in plain English. As always BTW, I encourage posting any dubious dealer statements by name of dealer so perhaps sooner or later they realize there are consequences to shining folks on with made up excuses.

1. That is sort of why I think it is misclassed by Audi for purposes of the CARB extended warranty parts set. What it is much more if I understand it is key to the fine oil separation. Crappy PCV set ups are what led to a lot of first generation FSI/DI valve fouling issues. They got reengineered and made a lot more complicated along the way. But fine oil separation is not an inherent function of a classic PCV valve, which is little more than a plastic ball inside an elbow fitting in its most basic form. Even the previously most convoluted and overpriced PCV valve I know of (the D2, D3 and C5 era port injected 4.2) was really just a spring loaded diaphragm akin to the old plastic ball functionally. The further mistake Audi seems to have made was now burying it in the "V", which got a whole lot more pricy to service when they reversed the head flow so exhaust is in the V and intake is on the outside. That's on Audi and "Art in Engineering" or other slogans du jour, not some periodic maintenance fake story line.

2. If it is a wear part BTW, ask Audi where it is on the service schedule too? Regular change interval? Funny how it isn't there...

LexusLSguy 06-23-2017 02:38 AM

Is the PCV different with the 3.0? Different location? Not looking forward to dealing with myself considering all the comments.

audisession 07-18-2017 06:10 PM

My car had a CEL and loud squealing sound when warm.
Dealer says it's PCV valve and about $2K to replace due to the huge labor involved as the parts are buried in the engine.
Checked with Fidelity Warranty (I have the platinum plan) and they have approved the repair.

Jack88 07-18-2017 06:37 PM

Wow, Fidelity approved something.

audisession 07-18-2017 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jack88 (Post 25006938)
Wow, Fidelity approved something.

I have heard mixed reviews on them. I am told a lot is dependent on the relationship between the service advisor and claims adjuster from Fidelity.

In an older Porsche I used to own they authorized a $22,000 engine :-)

pardz_late 07-28-2017 05:16 AM

4.0T PCV

my PCV valve started squealing last night.... I'm dropping it off today at lunchtime. I remember reading this thread recently, so luckily i knew what it was right away.

im in california, so i'll post back what happens.. my car is out of factory warranty by four months - but i have an extended warranty and possibly the CARB enhanced emissions warranty.

from my warranty (what is not covered):

(d) Breakdown of any part which the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has determined to be emission related, which is included
on a current list published by the EPA of such parts, and which is within the EPA time and mileage emissions warranty period.

so it looks like if the emissions warranty doesn't cover it - my extended warranty will pick it up. (Fortegra)

MP4.2+6.0 07-28-2017 07:07 AM

I looked up the part before for the CA emissions warranty. It is not covered according to Audi, though I disagree with the underlying conclusion. The fine point legal debate is whether the part was in general use as of a baseline reference date. To me the problem with their position is while PCV valves have been around forever, this is anything but the simple plastic ball in an orifice $5 part. If I understand part correctly, it has combined the oil separation function and in ways not even on vague drawing boards a couple dozen years ago. I haven't had to service it personally, though also had the fine oil separation set up (trouble free) on D3 W12 as a very early implementation but that also had super easy access to it if something broke. Given Audi's position, nothing can be done about it unless someone wants to take it to court. Hopefully your other warranty covers. If enough claims and enough noise though, maybe somehow a service action/recall ensues. Unfortunately it seems like a recurring theme as the posts roll out on going on 5 year old 4.0T's.

pardz_late 07-28-2017 10:33 AM

EPA

I took this EPA pamphlet circa 1992 with me..

http://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyPURL.cgi?Dockey=9101ZSGW.TXT

If I am reading it correctly, it says my PCV valve should be covered... as I am under 50K miles (only 45K) and under 5 yrs old... but I'm sure it will be a fight.

I'll escalate it to wherever necessary... for it to be covered (if the legal information in the pamphlet is still truly applicable).

I could also have it fail a smog test right now (CEL is on) to fall under the "Performance Warranty" aspect of what is described.

Anybody know if this is outdated? It is still on the EPA website and #1 search result for: PCV valve emissions warranty

pardz_late 07-29-2017 02:14 PM

They called and said it is the oil separator and equally as pricey
to replace. Extended warranty approved... won't get car back for a few days.

Tgrein 08-06-2017 07:58 AM

Q7 PCV issues trying to get it resolved

Looking for seem insight (new to the forum and posting). I have a 2007 Q7 3.6L in which the the pcv recently died. I confirmed by checking the hole on the box which had a high vacuum on it in addition to not being able to get the oil cap off due to high vacuum. Long story short i bought a new membrane and all the parts to do the job, however as i got into it I opt'd not to deal with the fuel rails so i took to a repair shop. Well that has turned out to be a nightmare been going back and forth several gas leaks and a couple missing bolts. But now i see i have oil forming around the spark plug coils and an high positive pressure in the crank case, i actual get oil coming out of the dip stick tube when i remove the dip stick. So i am headed back again, i did do a test from some documents i read on line where i removed the breather hose from the pcv vent side, i plugged it and started the car. Everything ran great, no pressure on dipstick tube and only slight pressure coming from fill cap. Similar to how my TT is set up. This would indicate that potentially the membrane was not installed correctly, thoughts?

MP4.2+6.0 08-06-2017 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Tgrein (Post 25017737)
Looking for seem insight (new to the forum and posting). I have a 2007 Q7 3.6L in which the the pcv recently died. I confirmed by checking the hole on the box which had a high vacuum on it in addition to not being able to get the oil cap off due to high vacuum. Long story short i bought a new membrane and all the parts to do the job, however as i got into it I opt'd not to deal with the fuel rails so i took to a repair shop. Well that has turned out to be a nightmare been going back and forth several gas leaks and a couple missing bolts. But now i see i have oil forming around the spark plug coils and an high positive pressure in the crank case, i actual get oil coming out of the dip stick tube when i remove the dip stick. So i am headed back again, i did do a test from some documents i read on line where i removed the breather hose from the pcv vent side, i plugged it and started the car. Everything ran great, no pressure on dipstick tube and only slight pressure coming from fill cap. Similar to how my TT is set up. This would indicate that potentially the membrane was not installed correctly, thoughts?

Sorry, this is the forum for the current generation D4 A8/S8. This model Audi does not use the motor referenced either, including in Europe AFAIK. You should post on the Gen 1 Q7 forum.

BTAudi 09-24-2017 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by PharmD29 (Post 24989312)

Mine was replaced at 44k miles on a 13' S8 as well. Paid $1400 out of pocket due to my APR Tune voiding the remaining power train warranty

theanimala 11-30-2017 07:00 PM

My ‘13 CPO 4.0t with 57K miles started squealing last week. Had to wait until today to get a loaner from Audi. My cost is $85 for the deductible. Sounds crazy a small part like this should cost so much...

the_duke 11-30-2017 08:40 PM

It's not small.

https://c6.staticflickr.com/8/7609/2...e4806173_z.jpg

MrS8Guy 03-18-2018 10:09 AM

My S8

I have the same issue. The dealer is saying it will be $4,000 to fix the PCV valve and they also say something about the oil separator. Does that sound right, it is a 2014 Audi S8 with under 50K miles. Should the warranty cover this stuff?

BTAudi 03-18-2018 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by MrS8Guy (Post 25125496)
I have the same issue. The dealer is saying it will be $4,000 to fix the PCV valve and they also say something about the oil separator. Does that sound right, it is a 2014 Audi S8 with under 50K miles. Should the warranty cover this stuff?

Warranty covers it but you’re over the mileage. Warranty stops at 50k
the PVC and oil separator are terms used interchangeably sometimes.

It doesn’t cost more than $1500 at the dealer I paid$1450. If they want $4k than they are most likely trying to pull a fast one one you

Psy Wagon 04-16-2018 05:58 AM

Another PCV valve whistling noise victim and I *just* rolled over 50k miles. :rolleyes:

I put the TSB PDF on google drive for easy finding: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1a_...irNMNMkccjHDbA

Dealer quoted me $1400. I can get the part for under $300 and will probably do it myself.

larkinortho 04-17-2018 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Psy Wagon (Post 25139090)
Another PCV valve whistling noise victim and I *just* rolled over 50k miles. :rolleyes:

I put the TSB PDF on google drive for easy finding: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1a_...irNMNMkccjHDbA

Dealer quoted me $1400. I can get the part for under $300 and will probably do it myself.

Let us know how that goes. My dealership replaced mine a few months ago, the service manager said they had to take so much off to get to it, there was a lot of labor. I think he said the turbos had to come off, could that be right? It was covered luckily, I had the tune taken out a couple days before. They didn't see it.

BTAudi 04-17-2018 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by larkinortho (Post 25139822)
Let us know how that goes. My dealership replaced mine a few months ago, the service manager said they had to take so much off to get to it, there was a lot of labor. I think he said the turbos had to come off, could that be right? It was covered luckily, I had the tune taken out a couple days before. They didn't see it.

yes, there is about $1k of labor. the PVC valve is located under the turbos. turbo removal is necessary

Psy Wagon 04-17-2018 01:31 PM

I think there needs to be a recall honestly. This is ridiculous for an emissions part to fail this early on so many vehicles. It's not even about the money but I will be saving my receipts in case Audi decides to own up to this.

Psy Wagon 04-18-2018 05:28 AM

Small tidbit to add. The part number in the TSB lists the PCV as 079103542D

The part I got at the dealer was 079103542E

Not uncommon for part numbers to change but I wonder if they did revise the design in some way.

MP4.2+6.0 04-18-2018 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Psy Wagon (Post 25140137)
Small tidbit to add. The part number in the TSB lists the PCV as 079103542D

The part I got at the dealer was 079103542E

Not uncommon for part numbers to change but I wonder if they did revise the design in some way.

The part # would be a revision, so maybe a clue they are trying to improve it. They probably have a very big bin somewhere of returned warranty parts for starters.

Agreed w/ sentiments and thoughts about possible recall. Keep receipts for any out of warranty repairs. From watching situations like Audi coil packs and MAF's over the years, this feels like it may eventually end up w/ a recall and then reimbursement for any owner expenses already incurred.

Psy Wagon 04-19-2018 09:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh boy. oil was indeed getting into things. My question is - are these failing on some level before you get the whistling noise?

Attachment 102231

BTAudi 04-19-2018 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Psy Wagon (Post 25140693)
Oh boy. oil was indeed getting into things. My question is - are these failing on some level before you get the whistling noise?

https://i.imgur.com/NwfptXql.jpg

I received several error codes related to the intake system before any whistling which is why the dealer discovered the faulty PVC valve.

Psy Wagon 04-25-2018 06:02 AM

Not a totally related issue but trying to post as much info for people in the future troubleshooting...

1 day after swapping the PCV the car threw the following code:

P0491 - Secondary Air Injection System Insufficient Flow Bank 1

I doubted the air pump would coincidentally go right after the PCV so poking around it seemed to be a vacuum line that wasn't re-attached properly!

Further reading: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0491

rmashton 04-29-2018 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by BTAudi (Post 25042318)
Mine was replaced at 44k miles on a 13' S8 as well. Paid $1400 out of pocket due to my APR Tune voiding the remaining power train warranty

Originally Posted by BTAudi (Post 25139882)
yes, there is about $1k of labor. the PVC valve is located under the turbos. turbo removal is necessary

Turbo removal is not necessary. My wife on vacation a few months ago experienced the oil separator/pcv failure in Phoenix on here way to Disneyland in CA. I'm a mechanic/shop owner by trade. After having my son help her pull codes and do some research, we concluded what the problem was. She rented a car, went about her way on vacation while I determined course of action. Drive the 4 hrs one way and attempt the repair on my own, load it on a trailer and pull it home or have a dealer do the job. After calling the Audi dealer service department, and hearing they were booked into the following week I decided I would attempt the repair in my parents driveway with simple hand tools bought at the harbor freight store as I didn't know what I would need. Long story short, it took about 5 hrs to do the repair. Most difficult portion was the intake on either head at the front of the car. Not much room to get those screws holding the halves together.

BTAudi 04-29-2018 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by rmashton (Post 25145208)
Turbo removal is not necessary. My wife on vacation a few months ago experienced the oil separator/pcv failure in Phoenix on here way to Disneyland in CA. I'm a mechanic/shop owner by trade. After having my son help her pull codes and do some research, we concluded what the problem was. She rented a car, went about her way on vacation while I determined course of action. Drive the 4 hrs one way and attempt the repair on my own, load it on a trailer and pull it home or have a dealer do the job. After calling the Audi dealer service department, and hearing they were booked into the following week I decided I would attempt the repair in my parents driveway with simple hand tools bought at the harbor freight store as I didn't know what I would need. Long story short, it took about 5 hrs to do the repair. Most difficult portion was the intake on either head at the front of the car. Not much room to get those screws holding the halves together.

wow, good to know. well done.

dpwS7 06-25-2018 06:27 AM

Same problem here. 2015 S7 with 57,000 miles. Engine started whistling and just took in for service. I was told on the 4.0T, the valve is located underneath the engine and labor would be over $1200 with total cost of approx. $2,000 - this is crazy. I agree - There should be a recall on this as way too many issues and no way this part should fail with just over 50K miles.

the_duke 12-29-2018 10:19 AM

Mine just failed at 86k. My CPO ran out about a month ago. Negotiating with Audi to see if they will cover it. I highly doubt they will. Seem like it won't be too difficult to do. The A8 and S8 don't require front bumper removal. I'm still driving the car while they make up their mind. With the CEL on it definitely prohibits boost. It hasn't affected fuel mileage though.

sushistrip 12-29-2018 12:06 PM

Here is the parts list from when I did my PCV valve/Oil separator, 2013 A8 4.0T, total was about $480 all genuine Audi parts. Manual says to replace all gaskets, so that's what I did.

Description:OIL SEPARATOR.
Part Number: 079103542E
Quantity:1
Price:$292.00

Description:Air guide gasket. Intercooler gasket.
Part Number: 079129717J
Price:$49.60

Description:Air guide gasket. Intercooler gasket.
Part Number: 079129717K
Price:$49.60

Description:Adapter seal strip.
Part Number: 079145417B
Quantity:2
Price:$19.25

Description:GASKET. Throttle valve seal strip.
Part Number: 079145818
Price:$13.10

Additional info:
I reused all my hose clamps as I found a nice tool for crimping them, similar tool on ecs:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben...UaAmhPEALw_wcB

The only other "special" tool I needed was a very long 5mm hex/allen key, about 8 inches long. Other than that, have a good set of socket extensions and universal joints.

EDIT: You'll also need a coolant refill tool. This creates a vacuum in the system (simultaneously checking for leaks =]) allowing you to perfectly fill it with coolant.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben-parts/coolant-refill-air-purge-tool/003466sch01/

ttboost 12-31-2018 06:03 PM

Yep, $500 in parts and about a 4 hr job...did mine at 78k miles...easy job actually...also 4 hrs to do downpipes, and 2 hours to do plugs (but plugs will go faster next time)...