AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi 100 / A6 (C4 Platform) (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-100-a6-c4-platform-24/)
-   -   Car stalled (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-100-a6-c4-platform-24/car-stalled-2136688/)

arthuraudi 11-04-2003 10:48 PM

Car stalled

I was happily driving home from work today, and after pump a full gas tank. When suddenly while arriving at a stop light the car seemed to stall, the lights on the dashboard come on and the car vibrated. I was pushing the clutch down but the car kept going so I used more pressure on the brakes and it finally died. After that I tried restarting but it wouldn't start. Last week my mechanic told me that the clutch was bad since the pedal vibrates. So my question is could a bad clutch prevente the car from starting? The engine does crank and if I place it on first gear it does tend to move. If its the clutch could it be something I can do? I have some experience, CV joints, brakes, etc.

Edd W 11-05-2003 05:30 AM

If it in neutral a failed clutch should not stop the car from starting...

unless the whole pressure plate has disintigrated and is casuing all softs of problems.

imo46 11-05-2003 07:54 AM

Re: If it in neutral a failed clutch should not stop the car from starting...

the Car should still start.If the clutch packed in while still in gear ,if you start it the car should jump forward.

Tornado //S6 11-05-2003 10:37 AM

Clean your ISV

arthuraudi 11-05-2003 02:09 PM

how to check?

Well the clutch pedal vibrates when the car was running. But I was driving to a full stop and I think I was in either 3rd or 2nd gear. The engine does crank but it doesn't run. I used neutral and nothing, while on 1st gear the car moves forward whith the key on starting position. How can I be sure its the clutch. There are no codes stored on the computer.

arthuraudi 11-05-2003 03:01 PM

It has a new one

and it run fine for a couple of days.

arthuraudi 11-05-2003 03:07 PM

starting...

well the car does jump forward, moves, but the engine does not run....

Wagonmann 11-05-2003 06:06 PM

Easy enough to check...

put the car in first, push in the clutch, and crank it. If it moves, it's the clutch. Actually, best guess is that it is the clutch slave cylinder (the Hydraulic unit that pushes the clutch plate back), needs bleeding or replacement.

Edd W 11-06-2003 12:23 PM

Knock it into neutral then and it will start. You will not be able to get it...

into gear with the engine running though, if the clutch has failed.

One further thought, it could be the slave or master cylinder for the clutch. These are less of a job and neither is too bad to change.

arthuraudi 11-06-2003 02:37 PM

neutral and 1st gear

it doesn't start on either.... I'm thinking that its something else. Maybe the clutch is ok. What else could be wrong??

I was driving the car then it acted up and stalled. Help!