AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b8-125/)
-   -   A5 soft top problem (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b8-125/a5-soft-top-problem-2848302/)

Audiamy 05-31-2013 07:47 AM

A5 soft top problem

Hi, i have a warning that has come up on my dash saying 'soft top storage box not lowered please remove obstacle' but there is no obstacle and i don't kno how to fix it! i have read the user manual and it says there is a lever in the left hand side of the boot behind the pull down flap but i can see one! i must be blind!!

any help will be much appreciated!

many thanks

acitrano 07-05-2013 05:50 AM

Me too

Not sure what you found out, but this recently began happening with my '13. I found that if I go into the trunk and push the roller up a bit to the top, it will operate normally again. I'll have the dealer check it out when I'm in for my 5k service later in the month. I'll try to remember to report back.

peterwiggin 07-09-2013 10:41 AM

There is a flap that is solid plastic, about 3" high, that runs the full width of the car and pulls down and locks into place. This provides the space necessary for the roof to fold into the trunk. That flap can be popped up by hand to give 3 more inches of space in the trunk. You will get that error message if the flap is not down even if there is nothing in the trunk. This one stumped me for a couple weeks!

Boostedws6 07-09-2013 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by peterwiggin (Post 24463636)
There is a flap that is solid plastic, about 3" high, that runs the full width of the car and pulls down and locks into place. This provides the space necessary for the roof to fold into the trunk. That flap can be popped up by hand to give 3 more inches of space in the trunk. You will get that error message if the flap is not down even if there is nothing in the trunk. This one stumped me for a couple weeks!

That flap should pop down automatically when lowering the top. If something is preventing it from lowering, you will receive that error.

acitrano 07-10-2013 09:36 AM

update

Mine has since stopped working completely. She's going back the dealer Monday. Frustrating to have something break at a tad over 4,000 miles, but the top was something I had a feeling would be troublesome.

As Boostedws6 said, the storage box is automatic. You shouldn't have to pull it down; activating the top-drop sequence will bring that box down (if it isn't down already).

acitrano 07-17-2013 11:00 PM

Hey guys - quick update. Brought the car into the dealership (Beverly Hills Audi) on Monday. 5k service, fix convertible top, some MMI issues, etc... nothing major (although losing the convertible functionality at 4800 miles is somewhat annoying.)

Service manager says the issue with the convertible top is with a driver's side "binder" [or maybe winder?] that (based on my visual observation / memory anyway) pulls the 'storage box' open [i think?] with basically some kind of gear/tensioner. Apparently my driver's side one is hosed or screwed or humiliated in some way or whatever.. so they've ordered a new one. Supposedly it will be here tomorrow.

Just wanted to get this into the thread for all of you poor souls who, in the future, will Google about trouble with your A5 / S5 convertible top. ;)

mahickerson 05-31-2016 02:20 PM

This Fixed Me!

Just wanted to post this here in case anyone else encounters the same problem.

I was also getting the "soft top storage box not lowered please remove obstacle" error message when there was nothing in my trunk. I manually raised the storage box, closed the trunk, then attempted to lower the top again (several times). The storage box would lower with each attempt, but the dash would display the error and the top would not lower. Activating the switch I could hear the top motor attempting to lower the top, but nothing was happening.

To try and determine what might be failing, I laid the back seats down to try and get a better look. That's when I noticed the support bar that runs across the back of the back seats for the soft top storage box was uneven. As the soft top storage box was attempting to lower, it was bottoming out on one side, but the other side was not lowered. I was able to manually adjust the bar where it sits in the gears so that it was even across the back. Voila! The top started working again.

I suspect I may have had something in the way when I last attempted to lower the top causing this to get off track.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...7a3d1b7fd2.jpg

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...2973d257b6.jpg

Glisse 05-31-2016 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by mahickerson (Post 24818913)
Just wanted to post this here in case anyone else encounters the same problem.

Excellent post, thanks for taking the trouble!

BigBlue124 06-07-2016 01:41 PM

Future self thanks you all!

dseag2 06-11-2016 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlue124 (Post 24821662)
Future self thanks you all!

Your Cab is fairly new, right? Are you having fun with it?