AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/)
-   -   Dead Throttle (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/dead-throttle-2962556/)

Slides 11-27-2018 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by The G Man (Post 25241846)
When I bought my old Mercedes CLS550, during the test drive, I did not feel any acceleration issues. After I had the car for a few months, as I put the car into many different scenarios, I started noticing some lag in certain situations and rough shifting at lower gears as well. My point is that sometimes the lag doesn't manifest itself in a short drives, you really need to drive the car for a weeks before all its flaws shows itself. Much like you, I probably owned over 20 cars in my lifetime and none of them has been perfect. If this slight lag is the S5's only flaw, then by all mean, this car is a keeper. On the other hand, if instant throttle response in D mode is must, then there are other cars out there with a more aggressive transmission program in D mode.

It's not a slight lag. I noticed the lag on the S5 immediately when test driving it in D mode. The salesperson was smart enough to immediately switch to S mode and I didn't notice it for the rest of my test drive. Wish I had paid more attention.

The G Man 11-28-2018 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by Slides (Post 25242020)
As someone who also drove an A5 for an extended period as my S5 was in the shop, I 100% agree on the normal throttle response with the A5 vs the laggy S5. It's really so much better.

isnt this thread about the lagging throttle in the A5 and not the S5?

Funny, I had my S5 for almost a year and maybe had the lag once or twice, the lag is maybe 1 sec, certainly not 3 seconds. Either some people are more sensitive to the lag, their last car was a stick, maybe it is their driving style or their car might actually have a problem.

All German cars has the throttle lock out when the brake is apply ever since all those Lexus run away throttle incidents from year ago.

Ycore 11-28-2018 06:23 AM

I think a good way of explaining it is that sub 40mph or so in S mode it isn't really "lag" per se, but more of a spongy/mushy/numb response during pedal travel. Sometimes from a stop, and almost always when accelerating from a low speed (say 5-10mph), the first X inches of pedal travel don't give you the acceleration you'd expect. You use the first, say, 3" of pedal travel to get it up to 40mph, then you press the pedal another 1/2" and suddenly the car downshifts and you rocket forward. Or sometimes, depending on what your current speed/gear happens to be, only 2" of pedal travel will get you up to 40mph, while that extra half inch just accelerates you normally. It all seems to be random depending on what your current speed/gear is, and how fast your depressing the pedal. Sometimes I'm taking off from a stop sign or coming out of a turn and go "wtf" in response to not getting the acceleration I expect, other times it's fine. But the overall result is lack of *predictability", which translates to a disconnected feel while driving.

I still have a Racechip XLR in the box to install to see if it helps the issue. Just haven't worked up the desire to install it after the first one they sent me caused the car to stall and throw a million error codes. Also the throttle pedal clip requires baby sized hands to access if you can't figure out how to get the trim off (which I can't).

Scott Chapman 11-28-2018 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by RedKloud (Post 25240484)
I think what he is saying is that the S mode is the same whether in Dynamic or Comfort... and I agree with that.

Actually sorry, I lied. I actually leave it in Auto.

1 RARE T 11-28-2018 06:34 AM

While I do get the condition described above, mine is more of a come around a corner off the brakes and there's nothing. I'm not complaining about a slow to accelerate issue. It's literally like the engine has shut off.

When I read the braking safety feature, I tried it on the way home. It's like that but a longer delay for the engine to actually do anything at all. No acceleration, not even laggy like it's in too high a gear.

I believe the difference here is some think it's just poor acceleration but what I'm getting it NO acceleration then bam, on it comes.

ArvX147 11-28-2018 06:53 AM

Drive with the car in ESC sport (one press of the button) and see if it gets better?

Maybe you are triggering a slide protection feature.

JD15 11-28-2018 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Ycore (Post 25242101)
I think a good way of explaining it is that sub 40mph or so in S mode it isn't really "lag" per se, but more of a spongy/mushy/numb response during pedal travel. Sometimes from a stop, and almost always when accelerating from a low speed (say 5-10mph), the first X inches of pedal travel don't give you the acceleration you'd expect. You use the first, say, 3" of pedal travel to get it up to 40mph, then you press the pedal another 1/2" and suddenly the car downshifts and you rocket forward. Or sometimes, depending on what your current speed/gear happens to be, only 2" of pedal travel will get you up to 40mph, while that extra half inch just accelerates you normally. It all seems to be random depending on what your current speed/gear is, and how fast your depressing the pedal. Sometimes I'm taking off from a stop sign or coming out of a turn and go "wtf" in response to not getting the acceleration I expect, other times it's fine. But the overall result is lack of *predictability", which translates to a disconnected feel while driving.

I still have a Racechip XLR in the box to install to see if it helps the issue. Just haven't worked up the desire to install it after the first one they sent me caused the car to stall and throw a million error codes. Also the throttle pedal clip requires baby sized hands to access if you can't figure out how to get the trim off (which I can't).

Audi programs a deadzone in the initial portion of throttle travel to minimize acceleration during mileage certification tests. At the rate driveability of gas engine vehicles is being compromised to achieve minuscule gains in fuel economy, I think most people will be pleased with the instant throttle response of electric cars, at least until those are programmed to minimize power consumption.

Nikon1 11-28-2018 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by JD15 (Post 25242143)
Audi programs a deadzone in the initial portion of throttle travel to minimize acceleration during mileage certification tests. At the rate driveability of gas engine vehicles is being compromised to achieve minuscule gains in fuel economy, I think most people will be pleased with the instant throttle response of electric cars, at least until those are programmed to minimize power consumption.

Cannot wait for your electric car scenario and those drivers to complain about “Dead throttle” and the EPA regs demanding “lower power consumption on acceleration.”

This comment is NOT aimed at anyone on this forum who is suffering from laggy response!

J. Patterson 11-28-2018 10:41 AM

This thread is somewhat enlightening to those of us with TDI vehicle who have experienced some throttle lag and non linear throttle response after the emissions modifications were done on our TDIs. Aparently not just us.

Stankia 11-29-2018 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Ycore (Post 25242101)

This has been my experience as well, not very confidence inspiring. It's like they didn't finish calibrating the software before release.