AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/)
-   -   Front plates but don't want the hassle of taking it off and on? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/front-plates-but-dont-want-hassle-taking-off-2968941/)

skubeeraw 03-17-2019 07:49 AM

Front plates but don't want the hassle of taking it off and on?

I found the solution for the stupid state of Texas requirement for front plates, though, I'd rather not have it. There are some good ideas like magnetic vent clips and stow and show but you still run the risk of an ahole cop with nothing better to do than issue you a ticket and fine that can go towards a new carbon fiber lip spoiler. So what I did was took off the stock plate holder and put tape behind the plate so it doesn't rub against the grill. Then secured it with some wires so it doesn't move and rub. Then bent the bottom 1/4 so it contours inwards along the shape of the grill and you can clearly see the quattro emblem. Am I happy? No. Am I ok with it? Yes. My main goal was to have the quattro logo shine on. Oh word of advice, don't be the idiots that have plates sitting on your dash. You don't know when you'll get rear ended and have that thing turn into a projectile and slice through your passenger's neck.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...a8af68427.jpeg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...bcfa4145b.jpeg

arrtewwx 03-17-2019 07:58 AM

Not a bad alternative- I’ve been running plateless on the front for 6mo and have had no issue with Dallas PD, or suburb PDs, as of now. You going to upgrade to a custom colour plate...like black or grey? That’ll help it blend in more, if you really want to run with the front plate.

Nikon1 03-17-2019 08:36 AM

In the 5+ months since I installed the RS-style grille and have pretty much continuously run with no front plate, I’ve never had a LEO show even the remotest interest in not having a plate. And anyone who remembers my level of paranoia from 6 months ago about not having a plate — even though I have the Sto N Show, I don’t really use it. The front plate sits in the floor pan behind the drivers seat.

My (unscientific) theory is that if the LEO looks at my front grille, they see that there isn’t a mount for a plate, so it’s not that I’m intentionally not displaying it, there just isn’t a place to display it.

At some point I may still be nailed and then I’ll tap dance. Until then, it’s not even in the back of my mind.

Hopefully we don’t have any Delaware Valley LEOs on this forum.

— John

belzebutt 03-17-2019 08:52 AM

I don't think they're stupid. He sees the nice Audi grille and he's either "oh he's out of state" or if somehow notices that it should be there and it's not, he doesn't bother unless you're also speeding, driving dangerously, black, or have expired plates or whatnot.

skubeeraw 03-17-2019 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Nikon1 (Post 25290486)
In the 5+ months since I installed the RS-style grille and have pretty much continuously run with no front plate, I’ve never had a LEO show even the remotest interest in not having a plate. And anyone who remembers my level of paranoia from 6 months ago about not having a plate — even though I have the Sto N Show, I don’t really use it. The front plate sits in the floor pan behind the drivers seat.

My (unscientific) theory is that if the LEO looks at my front grille, they see that there isn’t a mount for a plate, so it’s not that I’m intentionally not displaying it, there just isn’t a place to display
— John

Good for you, you are a rebel, way to stick it to the man! 🚔🖕🚓 Still doesn't excuse you for not having it. If an alfa romeo is able to have so does the RS5.

I'm not preaching one way or another and I'm not telling people cops will or won't. I'm just trying to be helpful and let people know of another way of mounting their plates and show off their quattro logo.

skubeeraw 03-17-2019 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by arrtewwx (Post 25290470)
You going to upgrade to a custom colour plate...like black or grey? That’ll help it blend in more, if you really want to run with the front plate.

Would like to but it'll take away from my CF spoiler fund 🤑

skubeeraw 03-17-2019 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by belzebutt (Post 25290488)
he doesn't bother unless you're, black,

he speaks truth.

JD15 03-17-2019 09:59 AM

For some reason, the police aren't enforcing the front plate laws for the hundreds of Model 3s I see driving around, 95% of which don't have a front plate.

NJS5 03-17-2019 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by skubeeraw (Post 25290496)
he speaks truth.

Just what I want, political BS in a car form I enjoy......not

skubeeraw 03-17-2019 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by NJS5 (Post 25290623)

Just what I want, political BS in a car form I enjoy......not

Sorry to get your panties in a wad. It is just a joke. He mentioned it and I just played along with him.