AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/)
-   -   How is your A5/S5/RS5 Holding Up? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/how-your-a5-s5-rs5-holding-up-2966912/)

chicago_marketing 02-08-2019 05:35 AM

How is your A5/S5/RS5 Holding Up?

Thought it would be nice to share your model, how many miles is on the dash and how it is holding up since you purchased it!

arrtewwx 02-08-2019 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by chicago_marketing (Post 25273249)
Thought it would be nice to share your model, how many miles is on the dash and how it is holding up since you purchased it!

My MY18 A5 is amazing, except I’ve been working from home this last week and haven’t driven it more than 15 miles. I need to go joy riding this weekend!

2,943 miles - purchased 9/15/18, picked up 9/19/18

Trade_it_all_4_more 02-08-2019 05:48 AM

I'm little over 10 months of ownership. 7,500 miles. No trips to the dealer since I've owned it. No complaints or regrets about buying this car, love it. If I needed to be picky, these are the worst issues I've experienced:

(2) presense 'scare the crap out of you hard-braking intervention' - once at a gas station (backing up) and one backing into my garage

I've had to reteach the windows about 3 separate times.

missmem 02-08-2019 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Trade_it_all_4_more (Post 25273257)
I'm little over 10 months of ownership. 7,500 miles. No trips to the dealer since I've owned it. No complaints or regrets about buying this car, love it. If I needed to be picky, these are the worst issues I've experienced:

(2) presense 'scare the crap out of you hard-braking intervention' - once at a gas station (backing up) and one backing into my garage

I've had to reteach the windows about 3 separate times.

Ditto!

bluaudi 02-08-2019 06:05 AM

'18A5 Sportback - purchased end of July '17 and just went over 19k on it.
Have a few hick-ups with the Audi pre-sense sensors going off a few times.
I did have a 'freak' alert last night driving home.... all of a sudden a Red Triangle with the ! symbol in the middle came up big on the center screen (Virtual cockpit) and the car and about a second later the brakes suddenly applied /locked and then released - i was doing around 75mph on the highway. Lucky no one was on my tail but it did freak me out a bit because there was nothing on the highway in front of me or around me to 'trigger' the system.

mhblaw 02-08-2019 06:38 AM

'18 RS5, 11,000 miles, zero issues.

Nikon1 02-08-2019 09:46 AM

2018 S5 Coupe, Delivered early June, 2018, 3,400 miles

(1) issue with driver’s side seat belt presenter that stopped presenting. Quick trip to dealer / FW update and have never seen the problem again.

RedKloud 02-08-2019 09:55 AM

'18 S5 SB: 6 months, 5700 miles. Had an issue with the Homelink buttons but was easily fixed by the dealer. A few minor rattles, creaks. No major issues.

vraptor65 02-08-2019 10:12 AM

2018 RS5 Daytona Grey-Fully loaded

Picked him up in June '18 and only have put 1,052km on the odo in six months.. Its a shame really.. That being said, no issues...love it to pieces.

I also have a 2005 Mazda 3 that I use as a daily with the RS5 limited to weekend work. However, I have not driven the RS5 since October/November....I was too cheap to invest in the unbelievably expensive Audi winter wheel/tire package and decided to instead just use the Mazda for this winter. It's actually a nice piece of mind knowing that it is the Mazda taking the beating from the salt, snow and ice in Toronto!

My RS5 is my garage, parked on top of thick rubber mats, with an Audi charger attached to the battery and an Audi Car cover keeping him warm and snuggy until spring time. Hopefully will be able to put much more KM's on him!

Rius 02-08-2019 11:13 AM

2019 S5 SB, took delivery 2 weeks at on 1/28. Only ~340 miles on it and no issues so far! Love driving it and learning about it. Only minor gripe is the sluggish shift changes at low speeds on D mode but I usually drive in S mode in the city and switch to D on long highway drives and it's not as bad.

BlakeV 02-08-2019 11:47 AM

2019 S5 SB here too. A full month today.

If I have to mention a gripe, it is about the creaks and rattles in cold weather. Never heard that... in my Acura (was like a tank)

For the rest - *all want*.

CtheW0rld 02-08-2019 11:51 AM

'18A5
May '18
18,000 mil
After I got that rattle fixed, it's been flawless. I even drove Portland to Pittsburgh in a 45 hour marathon. Love the seats.

Richr 02-08-2019 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Nikon1 (Post 25273362)
2018 S5 Coupe, Delivered early June, 2018, 3,400 miles

(1) issue with driver’s side seat belt presenter that stopped presenting. Quick trip to dealer / FW update and have never seen the problem again.

Same here. I first noticed the problem with my sb presenter right after I had the top down camera fix applied. It did not bother me enough for another trip to the dealer. So,on my next scheduled maintenance trip I will have it checked out. Aside from that, the car has been flawless, no issues. I am extremely happy with my S5.

wam22 02-08-2019 12:43 PM

Picked my coupe up in April of 2017 and have about 17500 miles. There has been a very minor fixes needed like a few sensors needing to be replaced. But two major issues for me is there are a ton of rattles the dealer can't fix such as the sunroof and along the passenger side. Also, the virtual cockpit will not pull up music information from car play and sometimes if the parking sensors come on, I can't bring up car play without unplugging my phone. Also had to get a voltage meter once I got the iPhone XS since it would randomly disconnect.

Otherwise, I do not recommend going with the AWE track exhaust (too loud and causes vibrations) and I do recommend getting a rear sway bar and a piggeyback tune like DTUK/DTE.

emacS5 02-08-2019 02:47 PM

2018 S5 Cabriolet
Purchased Dec 2017
11,425 miles

So far....these are all "newish" issues....
  • Drivers window doesn't want to lower/raise consistently to snug-up into the convertible top when operating the door handle. I've tried to retrain it many times. One trip to the dealer so far yielded no relief. No big deal....just a pain.
  • When operating convertible top, passenger window gets flaky and will lower halfway when the other windows completely close. This is a huge concern if I happen to not catch it one day.
  • Getting strange hiccups from the engine/tranny when briskly accelerating. At first I thought the trans was doubleshifting, but now I'm leaning towards misfires/stutters. Its a pretty significant "bang"/stutter. Took it to dealer, they didnt find anything. Recommended I run high end gas through, but I use Exxon 93 almost exclusively. This has been happening through several tanks of gas, and appears to be worsening. There's another trip to the dealer in my near future.
Side thought: I'm not really using much of the advanced tech in the car...lane change assist is always turned off now, because it would get flaky/want to veer the car sideways. Adaptive cruise works great overall, but I can't stand how traffic sign recognition will dramatically slow the car when entering a slower speed limit zone.

When I bought this car, I was cross-shopping this S5 and a Boxster S. Because I don't really use all the tech, lately I've really been considering that I made the wrong decision. Don't misunderstand...I still love the car, but there's been enough little things going on to make me wonder what that P-car would have been like.

MH62 02-08-2019 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by emacS5 (Post 25273523)
Adaptive cruise works great overall, but I can't stand how traffic sign recognition will dramatically slow the car when entering a slower speed limit zone.

You can turn off the sign based speed adjustment.

TheWombat 02-08-2019 04:41 PM

Had mine three weeks, maybe 700 miles or so on it? No complaints, really, other than I think when I swap the tires in April I'll have them look at the steering wheel, which seems to be in need of adjustment; if I keep the flat bottom of the wheel parallel with the ground, wheel pointed straight ahead, the car goes a bit to the right. I have to cant the wheel a tad to the left in low speed normal driving to keep the car pointed straight. Annoying, if somewhat minor.

Other than that, despite many days of sub-zero (F) degree weather, much snow and ice, and really bad roads, no rattles or creaks, etc. The fancy Google maps don't initialize, usually, because our cell coverage sucks, and I still have no idea of pre-sense really does anything. It seems totally random, and I've never had it apply the brakes in any circumstance.

luder888 02-08-2019 05:29 PM

Almost 10K miles. Main thing -- Can't get from 0 to 60 in 2 seconds.

No other major issues, just small things:
  • Rattling due to the passenger side seat belt buckle receiver (fixed by dealer)
  • Top-view camera not sticking (fixed by dealer)
  • Cameras all blacked out once for whatever reason
  • Tailgate close/lock button doesn't work consistently
  • Center entertainment screen froze on me once
  • Rear cross-traffic avoidance system randomly stops the car while going in reverse
  • Pre Sense front false warnings (fixed by turning off pre-warning)
  • Front Turn Assist stops car randomly while you make a left turn (fixed by not using left turn signal and/or make turn while going greater than 9 mph)

luder888 02-08-2019 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by bluaudi (Post 25273267)
'18A5 Sportback - purchased end of July '17 and just went over 19k on it.
Have a few hick-ups with the Audi pre-sense sensors going off a few times.
I did have a 'freak' alert last night driving home.... all of a sudden a Red Triangle with the ! symbol in the middle came up big on the center screen (Virtual cockpit) and the car and about a second later the brakes suddenly applied /locked and then released - i was doing around 75mph on the highway. Lucky no one was on my tail but it did freak me out a bit because there was nothing on the highway in front of me or around me to 'trigger' the system.

Turn off the Pre Sense pre-warning. Pre Sense still works but you won't get those annoying pre-warnings (chirping your tires is actually a warning).

emacS5 02-08-2019 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by MH62 (Post 25273533)
You can turn off the sign based speed adjustment.

Yep, but I would rather that it just be more gradual. I like the idea of it automatically adjusting...just not so abruptly.

Slides 02-08-2019 07:45 PM

2018 S5 SB with 4,500 miles. One issue that has come up is with lane assist, where it will tell me to keep my hands on the wheel when I already have them on the wheel, Only seems to happen on highway straights.

rccoleman 02-08-2019 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by luder888 (Post 25273579)
  • Tailgate close/lock button doesn't work consistently

Try holding your keys away from the car or rotating your body so that the keys are further away from the tailgate. This happens to me from time to time and I've learned that I can always get it to work by getting the keys further away. It's exacerbated by the fact that my keys are usually in my right pocket and I'm usually hitting the button with my right hand.

1 RARE T 02-09-2019 02:51 AM

I find it interesting that we all bought a high end luxury car and put up with issues and fluff it off.

My wife is on her 8th Nissan vehicle and in all those years, I've had to take a Murano in ONCE for a repair.

I for one will never buy another Audi. This is my 4th.

Biggest disappointment I've ever owned.

My first service list was 5 pages long with complaints.

Abtpl 02-09-2019 04:33 AM

Bought mine on April ‘17 and 30k so far, so good. No problems except a couple of usual firmware bugs. Mechanically it has been very reliable so far.
Recently I found that the driver’s window was not operating properly, and by my dismay, replacing the keyfob battery solved that issue!

JD15 02-09-2019 05:31 AM

It seems like many of complaints are related to DAP. To those who have Prestige, if you had to do it again, would you purchase DAP? I am asking because I currently have an S5 Premium Plus on order (no DAP). However, another dealership recently received the same color combination and options, except Prestige. I may consider that car if i can negotiate a good deal, but I really don't care much about the additional items included in Prestige and DAP is now bundled with Prestige.

MH62 02-09-2019 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by JD15 (Post 25273766)
It seems like many of complaints are related to DAP. To those who have Prestige, if you had to do it again, would you purchase DAP? I am asking because I currently have an S5 Premium Plus on order (no DAP). However, another dealership recently received the same color combination and options, except Prestige. I may consider that car if i can negotiate a good deal, but I really don't care much about the additional items included in Prestige and DAP is now bundled with Prestige.

ACC is great when you turn off traffic sign based speed adjustments and predictive speed adjustments. Wouldn't do without. I also like traffic jam assist but I don't get in traffic too much. Lane assist is ok for short distances but not too long as it rarely agrees with you. Overall, DAP was worth it for me.

Abtpl 02-09-2019 05:51 AM

I have it and I actually was looking for it. I’m satisfied greatly with it, and I would buy it again.

I think that people like me, just like it and won’t post about it. On the other hand, If I didn’t like like it...

Richr 02-09-2019 06:05 AM

Overall I really like the system and would buy it again. The DAP had surprised me once or twice when I first got the car, however as I became familiar with the systems capabilites and limitations this has not been an issue. I realize that allowed to, the DaP will attempt to drive you off of an unintended exit, lose track of lane markers due to lighting or poor maintenance, and the ACC will alter speed abruptly in response to speed limit changes, and occasionally slow inexplicably. With this real time experience, I am able to anticipate how the car will react and plan accordingly. It does ~require you to be proactive so that you can adjust for the changes in speed limit, freeway exits, road marking changes, etc. With all of that said, I really like the DAP and would purchase it again. I realize it has limited capabilities, however,in some scenarios, such as, well marked freeway in the number 1or 2 lanes the ACC and lane keeping work extremely well. It is in areas with many transitions that the operation can be problematic and requires a high level of vigilance.

Nikon1 02-09-2019 06:08 AM

I would not order a car without the DAP now that i’ve Used it for 9 months.

Slides 02-09-2019 06:11 AM

DAP is fine but I just can't get myself to use it in heavy traffic, where I'm sure it will be very useful. Just can't fully trust it.

Richr 02-09-2019 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Slides (Post 25273788)
Just can't fully trust it.

Yep. Once you understand that, it’s wonderful. Audi never claimed it was fully autonomous,

Abtpl 02-09-2019 06:23 AM

...exactly, it is intended as an aid to the driver, not yet as a substitute. In heavy traffic the dap is helpful to keep stress low. On highway on long trips really shines for me, I can drive longer periods of time because I’m not as much stressed

Slides 02-09-2019 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Abtpl (Post 25273797)
In heavy traffic the dap is helpful to keep stress low.

Really? It increases my stress with it turned on as I have to be extra vigilant to make sure the car doesn't rearend someone.

Abtpl 02-09-2019 06:44 AM

...It depends how fast you want to go, I suppose. If I stick on not changing lanes as often, and I’m not late, sure I’m ok with it. I use it in dynamic mode thou...

JD15 02-09-2019 06:46 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I'm leaning towards staying with my Premium Plus order, as I test drove a couple of vehicles with DAP and didn't feel like I would use it much. I would consider ACC as a standalone option, but was not particularly impressed with the other features, particularly lane keep assist. Too much of my driving is on 40 - 50 mph urban roads with clueless or overly aggressive drivers and I would not be able to fully trust DAP in those circumstances. I doubt that DAP has a pothole mitigation algorithm either, and without it, I would have to replace wheels and tires too often.

RedKloud 02-09-2019 06:48 AM

I got prestige for the HUD and the top view camera... didn't get the DAP.

MRA5SB 02-09-2019 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Slides (Post 25273799)
Really? It increases my stress with it turned on as I have to be extra vigilant to make sure the car doesn't rearend someone.

I feel like you have to be the same level of vigilant with or without it on. But what it does help with in heavy traffic is that you don't have the constant gas <--> brake action, and my feet are definitely happier for that.

arrtewwx 02-09-2019 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by JD15 (Post 25273812)
Thanks for the feedback. I'm leaning towards staying with my Premium Plus order, as I test drove a couple of vehicles with DAP and didn't feel like I would use it much. I would consider ACC as a standalone option, but was not particularly impressed with the other features, particularly lane keep assist. Too much of my driving is on 40 - 50 mph urban roads with clueless or overly aggressive drivers and I would not be able to fully trust DAP in those circumstances. I doubt that DAP has a pothole mitigation algorithm either, and without it, I would have to replace wheels and tires too often.

You’ll save money too! DAP in DFW hasn’t been a negative experience for me. I actually like the lane assist, when driving fast on 635 or The Bush, etc. it keeps me “within” the lines, but as others have noted it can sometimes try to fight you when you want to exit. Using the turn signal solves that issue for me (yes- terrible to use such a thing in DFW). Traffic assist is nice (just ACC at slow speeds) and useful but it leaves too much of a gap between you and the other car allowing for “jackies” to swoop in and then hit their bloody brakes. I use it occasionally.

Tbone323 02-09-2019 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Slides (Post 25273799)

It took me two weeks of daily use to trust it to bring me to a complete stop. Once I did though it had gotten much more comfortable since. It does brake more aggressively than my style of driving so I wish there was a setting for this like there is for the acceleration but I’ve come to trust it. I highly recommend committing to a few attempts with your foot hovering the brake pedal and I think you’ll come to love it too.
I commute 30mi each way most on highway and it is now a must have in every car moving forward.

JD15 02-09-2019 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by arrtewwx (Post 25273822)

You’ll save money too! DAP in DFW hasn’t been a negative experience for me. I actually like the lane assist, when driving fast on 635 or The Bush, etc. it keeps me “within” the lines, but as others have noted it can sometimes try to fight you when you want to exit. Using the turn signal solves that issue for me (yes- terrible to use such a thing in DFW). Traffic assist is nice (just ACC at slow speeds) and useful but it leaves too much of a gap between you and the other car allowing for “jackies” to swoop in and then hit their bloody brakes. I use it occasionally.

Yeah, it's a $2700 difference between P+ and Prestige, most of which is composed of DAP, which is now mandatory for Prestige.