AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/)
-   -   Issue with Start/Stop de-activation (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/issue-start-stop-de-activation-2970831/)

Nikon1 04-21-2019 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by ribeye (Post 25306049)
I read somewhere that they will have an apple friendly version out soon if it is not out already...

According to my contact in the OBD Eleven team:

MantasTka

April 03, 2019, 02:34 +0000

Hello John!

thank you for the question. After positive internal testing results of iOS version, we decided to implement more functions into the software and reschedule the iOS release to the middle of Q2.

Richr 04-22-2019 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by ribeye (Post 25306049)
I read somewhere that they will have an apple friendly version out soon if it is not out already...

Very cool. I did not want to buy an android device solely for this purpose.

belzebutt 04-22-2019 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Zed 2.0 (Post 25305349)
It's the only thing that I hate about this car. In my experience it will typically shut down the car before it is fully stopped. Terribly clunky and even a little unsafe. I've driven VWAG implementations of auto-stop-start that are 5+ years older that worked just fine, so I don't understand how Audi messed this one up so badly.

I think you should give it a chance. The clunky behavior is when you break too hard before you let it come to a stop. I've tried to get the hang of it and as long as you bring the car to a standstill by feathering the brake, it won't shut off. Then once it's fully stopped, you press the brake harder and the engine goes off. It's possible to stop it smoothly and control exactly when you want the engine to go off.

Zed 2.0 04-22-2019 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by belzebutt (Post 25306771)
I think you should give it a chance. The clunky behavior is when you break too hard before you let it come to a stop. I've tried to get the hang of it and as long as you bring the car to a standstill by feathering the brake, it won't shut off. Then once it's fully stopped, you press the brake harder and the engine goes off. It's possible to stop it smoothly and control exactly when you want the engine to go off.

What you're describing is how start-stop should work. It doesn't work that way in the S5. It is impossible to drive smoothly in California traffic, and trying to treat the brake pedal like an eggshell only makes it more frustrating.

The G Man 04-23-2019 05:17 AM

Try shutting off the auto start stop and see how smoothly you can brake. I tried a few times, its a bit better but stop not smooth due to the performance brake pads.

belzebutt 04-23-2019 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Zed 2.0 (Post 25306814)
What you're describing is how start-stop should work. It doesn't work that way in the S5. It is impossible to drive smoothly in California traffic, and trying to treat the brake pedal like an eggshell only makes it more frustrating.

I did it again this morning, I was used to stopping smoothly in the A4 a certain way but the S5 simply requires less brake pressure to slow down the car without shutting off the auto start/stop. It really does work, in traffic. If you need to slam the brakes all the time and leave only a couple of feet in front of you at all times then yes, it might be a problem, but in regular driving I think it's fine.

JD15 04-23-2019 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Zed 2.0 (Post 25306814)

I tried to make it work, but ASS makes the car awkward and unpleasant to drive in traffic. I gave up after the car would repeatedly stop and start while crawling along in stop and go traffic. My mileage is nearly as good as it was on my previous A4 without ASS, so I do not feel the need to compromise the car's driveability.

arrtewwx 04-23-2019 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by JD15 (Post 25306965)
I tried to make it work, but ASS makes the car awkward and unpleasant to drive in traffic. I gave up after the car would repeatedly stop and start while crawling along in stop and go traffic. My mileage is nearly as good as it was on my previous A4 without ASS, so I do not feel the need to compromise the car's driveability.

I just changed jobs and get I sit in a lot more traffic, so I’m using traffic assist ACC a lot more. If you have Prestige / ACC and it’s enabled, ASS doesn’t engage at lights or traffic. I figured this out yesterday sitting on NWHWY for a long time.

JD15 04-23-2019 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by arrtewwx (Post 25306978)
I just changed jobs and get I sit in a lot more traffic, so I’m using traffic assist ACC a lot more. If you have Prestige / ACC and it’s enabled, ASS doesn’t engage at lights or traffic. I figured this out yesterday sitting on NWHWY for a long time.

I don't like the way the car drives with Traffic Jam Assist or with ACC in traffic, so I reserve ACC for extended highway drives, not for normal commuting. ACC doesn't have enough awareness in traffic and does far too much unnecessary acceleration followed by rapid braking, whereas I coast and use far less aggressive throttle and braking inputs. I'm glad I received a pretty decent deal on a Prestige because I really have only derived value from the HUD, overhead camera, and adjust ambient lighting.

juicebox098 04-23-2019 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by JD15 (Post 25306990)
I don't like the way the car drives with Traffic Jam Assist or with ACC in traffic, so I reserve ACC for extended highway drives, not for normal commuting. ACC doesn't have enough awareness in traffic and does far too much unnecessary acceleration followed by rapid braking, whereas I coast and use far less aggressive throttle and braking inputs.

What driving mode are you usually in? There is a vast difference between Dynamic and Comfort. For me, Dynamic is way too aggressive and Comfort is way too relaxed. ACC in Auto mode works quite well for my daily, heavy traffic commutes.