AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/)
-   -   tire pressure set really low at delivery? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/tire-pressure-set-really-low-delivery-2970943/)

belzebutt 04-21-2019 09:14 AM

tire pressure set really low at delivery?

So I checked my PSI today on the S5 SB, a couple of weeks after delivery, and I was surprised that my pump was showing around 30 psi on every wheel. I didn’t trust the pump so I checked a tire gauge and that agreed exactly with the pump. I set all wheels to 42 psi like the door sticker says. There’s no way it would have dropped by 10 psi since delivery on every wheel, so I assume they just set the pressure low. Any reason why they would have done that? Setting the pressure should be part of the PDI? I’ll triple check when I find another gauge but this seems really odd. The car felt soft to me from the start and I’m sure this didn’t improve my mileage and possibly affects the steering a bit.

JD15 04-21-2019 09:51 AM

My car was delivered with full load max. air pressure. Any reason why you set the tires to the values on the door jamb? It makes sense if you frequently drive with four people in the car and luggage, but is unnecessary if driving alone or with one to two passengers.

NJS5 04-21-2019 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by belzebutt (Post 25306123)
So I checked my PSI today on the S5 SB, a couple of weeks after delivery, and I was surprised that my pump was showing around 30 psi on every wheel. I didn’t trust the pump so I checked a tire gauge and that agreed exactly with the pump. I set all wheels to 42 psi like the door sticker says. There’s no way it would have dropped by 10 psi since delivery on every wheel, so I assume they just set the pressure low. Any reason why they would have done that? Setting the pressure should be part of the PDI? I’ll triple check when I find another gauge but this seems really odd. The car felt soft to me from the start and I’m sure this didn’t improve my mileage and possibly affects the steering a bit.

The door sticker is not accurate. Check the owners manual for the correct pressure for your tire size.

KevinGary 04-21-2019 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by belzebutt (Post 25306123)

the numbers on the door sticker on the max psi number. The suggested psi is in your owner’s manual.

belzebutt 04-21-2019 10:13 AM

That’s news to me, I always followed the door sticker. I checked the manual and it says at first “the door sticker has the correct pressure for the tires that came with your car”. Then there’s a table that shows the pressure for 2-3 people which is much lower, and then the door sticker pressure which is for max load. So it’s a little confusing. I’ll lower it but either way it came with quite a bit less than normal.

I’m surprised it can vary this much because I’ve heard before that having even a couple of psi lower can affect your fuel economy noticeably.

MH62 04-21-2019 12:35 PM

That's what I had to do:
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...b46d474faf.jpg

John Harry 04-21-2019 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by JD15 (Post 25306145)
My car was delivered with full load max. air pressure.

Ours also.

Yoshimura 04-21-2019 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by MH62 (Post 25306209)
That's what I had to do:

Good idea!!! I hate when they put max load pressure.

garberfc 04-21-2019 02:29 PM

My 19 SB came w/ 19" summer tires, so I purchased 18" wheels and winter tires and had the dealership put them on prior to taking delivery. Just a week ago I dragged out the 19" summer tires and put them on the car. As a final step I pulled out the compressor expecting to have to add air. To my surprise they each had ~50lbs of pressure!

I'm hoping they weren't damaged from being overinflated. I assumed the factory over filled them just so they wouldn't run the risk of having them underinflated and ruined when driving them around lots and what have you prior to the predelivery check out.

uberwgn 04-21-2019 02:32 PM

Guys, the cars are shipped from the factory with max pressure (printed on the tire sidewall) to protect the tire from flat spotting, etc., sthoud the car sit for long periods of time.