AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi allroad (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-allroad-18/)
-   -   What are the options of a turbo leaking oil? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-allroad-18/what-options-turbo-leaking-oil-2747828/)

03AR2rescu 04-12-2009 03:01 PM

What are the options of a turbo leaking oil?

It just showed up and hasn't affected driving performance at all. Can things be saved? I don't know much about the turbo system. Any advice would be appreciated.

Ink Ming 04-12-2009 04:03 PM

We had a "turbo leak". Had an independent shop tell us the turbo was starting to leak and the dealer. The car was a CPO, so I was hoping to get it covered under warranty, but it wasn't meeting the correct "class/stage" leak. Took it in to the dealer another time and they found out it wasn't the turbo, but the turbo return lines. Much less cost to fix.

allroadbryan 04-12-2009 04:16 PM

Indi shop thought the turbos were leaking but upon further inspection it eneded up being a faulty PCV system which was causing oils to the turbos.

paulroad 04-12-2009 05:40 PM

more detail.. where is the leak? how specific can you be?

03AR2rescu 04-13-2009 06:09 AM

OK, so the details are that the seal on the turbo is developing a leak. Turbo itself is fine, but they recommended replacing it since it has 108k miles on it. So it is either rebuild kit or new turbo, and labor to pull the engine.

Does that sound about right to you all?

Mattyg 04-13-2009 09:50 AM

Turbo's

I am dealing with the exact same situation on my AR 02". Local mechanic or Indie Shop says it's the turbo's. We still have a CPO warranty(? 3rd party warranty) that covers them till 85K and were at 83K. The warranty place says that it's not at the critical stage where the turbo's need replacing.

Thoughts? The warranty place will now not return our calls, as the mechanic has taken pictures and insist that it's the turbo's going bad, and has pics of the oil leaking on the floor as he diagnosed the problem when he was repalcing the timing belt on the 80K maintenance.

four 04-13-2009 10:12 AM

as others have said, more often than not the source of the leaking oil is not from the turbo itself.

however if you've already determined that it is indeed the turbo, your options would be replacement (if under warranty), or a rebuild. obviously if you don't have a warranty, all of the options would be pricey.

good luck

paulroad 04-13-2009 11:37 AM

If the oil is leaking from the internal packing its a problem.
If the oil is leaking from the seal on the feed or return line, just fix that lin'e seal. No worries. (BTDT)

As far as aftermarket warranty, perhaps you can get a second opinion from another shop and document it with photos.

Then call your state's department of insurance and ask them for help.

jaxAR 04-13-2009 03:19 PM

Paulroad, are the seals on the return line a simple, straightforward DYI?

paulroad 04-13-2009 03:28 PM

edit

IIRC...yes. Unscrew the line, take out the seal, etc. You need someone who has been there...ask for Ex-PzKW Cdr or
Autosolutions on the allroad forum of quattroworld.com
They are both techs and know first hand.