AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-e-tron-q8-e-tron-232/)
-   -   The dreaded 'vehicle cannot be reached' error (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-e-tron-q8-e-tron-232/dreaded-vehicle-cannot-reached-error-3005616/)

yousufferbutwhy 10-02-2020 06:53 PM

The dreaded 'vehicle cannot be reached' error

I'm getting vehicle cannot be reached errors from the app for the past couple of days. It is not because of bad cell coverage since it doesn't work even when near a tower. The weird thing is that retrieving vehicle status works OK, but when I try to do an action like locking or starting climate control I get this error. Any tips on how to resolve this? Reinstalling the app did not fix it.

lkfoster 10-02-2020 07:08 PM

Same here, it's getting annoying. How come the other German manufacturer's apps work all of the time?

speedyman 10-03-2020 04:22 AM

I noticed the app updates the energy-usage of the last trip 99% without issues, so I think its not really bad cell coverage related as that info also needs to be send to the audi servers.
The past summer I've not been able to turn on the airconditioning in the car from the app, always getting "vehicle cannot be reached".
Had a couple times where it didn't show it was charging ... usually when it does show its charging it keeps updating the progress just fine ... but then oddly enough the command to precondition the car still results in a "vehicle cannot be reached"

It seems like the e-tron's electronics go into a deep-sleep mode within minutes after you turn off the car and just doesn't respond to incomming commands from the app. Earlier this week I discovered that when I do a unlock/lock from the keyfob to "wake up" the car (at work the car sits outside within keyfob-range from my desk :)), the app can connect to the car and it accepts the command to precondition just fine.

zero2prove 10-03-2020 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by yousufferbutwhy (Post 25504851)
I'm getting vehicle cannot be reached errors from the app for the past couple of days. It is not because of bad cell coverage since it doesn't work even when near a tower. The weird thing is that retrieving vehicle status works OK, but when I try to do an action like locking or starting climate control I get this error. Any tips on how to resolve this? Reinstalling the app did not fix it.

My app starting doing this about a week ago. Usually after a few days it resolves itself but this doesn't appear to be the case this time. I've tried uninstalling the app, rebooting the phone to no avail. If this persists I'm going to calling the support line on monday.
Anyone else experiencing the same issue? I get car updates just fine, but all push functions fail.

yousufferbutwhy 10-03-2020 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by zero2prove (Post 25504974)
My app starting doing this about a week ago. Usually after a few days it resolves itself but this doesn't appear to be the case this time. I've tried uninstalling the app, rebooting the phone to no avail. If this persists I'm going to calling the support line on monday.
Anyone else experiencing the same issue? I get car updates just fine, but all push functions fail.

This is exactly what I'm getting too. It is not due to the comms module going to sleep. I left the car powered on and it still doesn't work.

fsedaei 10-03-2020 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by yousufferbutwhy (Post 25504851)

I had exact issue last week. So I reached out to Audi customer care (via chat). They suggested to remove and add again key user profile on the car, and that resolved the issue immediately.
on 2 different incidents I have reached out to Audi CC, and they have been very helpful and addressed my issues on the spot. Kudos to them.

02allrd 10-03-2020 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by fsedaei (Post 25505014)
I had exact issue last week. So I reached out to Audi customer care (via chat). They suggested to remove and add again key user profile on the car, and that resolved the issue immediately.
on 2 different incidents I have reached out to Audi CC, and they have been very helpful and addressed my issues on the spot. Kudos to them.

Thank you; worked for me.

yousufferbutwhy 10-04-2020 11:53 AM

To confirm, I need to remove and re-add the key user in the car MMI screen?

02allrd 10-04-2020 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by yousufferbutwhy (Post 25505253)
To confirm, I need to remove and re-add the key user in the car MMI screen?

Yes - just be sure you have the ten letter vehicle code (see manual, p. 33).

Spideymd 10-04-2020 01:56 PM

Someone mentioned this in a thread before but I can’t find it. I don’t have any problems now and have had the car over a year. BUT I don’t have my 10 digit code and have no clue where it is.

what should I do to get the code at this point? I am assuming I should not wait until I need it again.

02allrd 10-04-2020 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Spideymd (Post 25505286)

what should I do to get the code at this point? I am assuming I should not wait until I need it again.

Mine was within a plastic tag which held the key fobs together when I purchased the car. Just pop it open and scratch off a covering like a lottery “scratcher.” If you no longer have the tag you’ll have to get the code from a dealer.

fsedaei 10-04-2020 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Spideymd (Post 25505286)
Someone mentioned this in a thread before but I can’t find it. I don’t have any problems now and have had the car over a year. BUT I don’t have my 10 digit code and have no clue where it is.

it’s on a piece of white plastic (needs scratched) attached to the car keys. Dealer was supposed to give it to you when they delivered the car. Beyond that, you can order a new one thru dealer and it cost you a couple hundreds.
You can give them a call and find out if they saved the code somewhere on your file. My dealer apparently did that. when I complained my code was already scratched when it was delivered, they told me “we scratched it and added the code to your file in case you lose it.”

Brooklyn 10-04-2020 07:40 PM

Seems to have worked for the wife as well, though I’m not sure she actually removed the key user profile as she made no mention of entering a code.

Originally Posted by 02allrd (Post 25505095)

thebishman 10-05-2020 02:11 PM

Quick ?:

Anyone know how to change the wifi password in the Audi app under the 'Profile'/Vehicle Connections portion?

I updated our home wifi password and now don't have a wifi connection to the MMI in the car when parked in the garage. I can still connect via the Audi app however to change charge settings, etc, I assume using the ATT mobile connection.

Spideymd 10-05-2020 02:27 PM

thanks guys very much. I’ll check with the dealer. It’s been over a year and I have no clue if it was attached to my keys or not!

Originally Posted by fsedaei (Post 25505334)
it’s on a piece of white plastic (needs scratched) attached to the car keys. Dealer was supposed to give it to you when they delivered the car. Beyond that, you can order a new one thru dealer and it cost you a couple hundreds.
You can give them a call and find out if they saved the code somewhere on your file. My dealer apparently did that. when I complained my code was already scratched when it was delivered, they told me “we scratched it and added the code to your file in case you lose it.”

zero2prove 10-05-2020 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by 02allrd (Post 25505095)

it worked for me as well. I signed out of the profile and logged the key user off. Re-entered the 10 digit code, then logged off the app and back on. Was able to push changes right away. Thank you!

ThomasW 10-05-2020 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by thebishman (Post 25505670)
Quick ?:

Anyone know how to change the wifi password in the Audi app under the 'Profile'/Vehicle Connections portion?

I updated our home wifi password and now don't have a wifi connection to the MMI in the car when parked in the garage. I can still connect via the Audi app however to change charge settings, etc, I assume using the ATT mobile connection.

Do you mean connecting the E-tron to your home WiFi? I am not aware of it being capable of doing that even though it should be easily doable given that it has WiFi capabilities. But it would require to program it accordingly.

thebishman 10-05-2020 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by ThomasW (Post 25505711)
Do you mean connecting the E-tron to your home WiFi? I am not aware of it being capable of doing that even though it should be easily doable given that it has WiFi capabilities. But it would require to program it accordingly.

Perhaps you’re correct and I’ve always connected via the cell connection even though within the garage the car has easy access to the wifi. The fact that the Audi app is now showing ‘not connected to my wifi’ since I changed the password has me confused though.

Brooklyn 10-06-2020 10:23 PM

Confirmed with the wife that she didn't re-enter any codes. She's not sure what she did, but almost sounds like either a reset of some sort, or she logged out/back in? Either way, it's working again.

Brooklyn 10-07-2020 04:08 AM

Spoke too soon. Wife reported this am that she's lost the link yet again. This time around she'll follow the full steps you all have put forward here. Inexplicably, despite being plugged into our ChargePoint, which is set to charge from 2200-0600, the vehicle didn't charge last night. Not sure if it just wasn't plugged all the way in, or if it's related, but she'll be paying attention to that this evening.

yousufferbutwhy 10-07-2020 08:39 AM

I followed the steps of logging out and back in, then deleting and re-adding the key user, but this did not fix it for me :( I still have the same issue, I can refresh the car status but remote climate control and locking gives a vehicle cannot be reached error.

Is there a step I am missing?

Larry David 10-07-2020 09:48 AM

Your unfortunately may need to bring your e-tron in to the dealer for 90M9.

newmanium 10-09-2020 03:44 AM

Mine generally works pretty well, but I've been getting the error quite a bit more lately.

Shame they can't have it join a local WiFi or use Bluetooth to directly control, I can see it from our kitchen and the app just spins away and then comes up with the error.

Brock Tune 10-09-2020 11:14 AM

Got a new message today when trying to retrieve vehicle status, I can’t remember it verbatim but it was something along the lines of “to preserve vehicle battery vehicle updates are limited to a few times per day.”

First time I’ve ever seen that message, it came right after I sent a start charging command to it, I was updating the status to confirm the charging started as the app wasn’t showing a change, but I wonder if that comes off as two vehicle update commands in a row. The message hasn’t repeated when I tried it again, but the vehicle status fails every time now.

ThomasW 10-09-2020 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Brock Tune (Post 25507004)
Got a new message today when trying to retrieve vehicle status, I can’t remember it verbatim but it was something along the lines of “to preserve vehicle battery vehicle updates are limited to a few times per day.”

First time I’ve ever seen that message, it came right after I sent a start charging command to it, I was updating the status to confirm the charging started as the app wasn’t showing a change, but I wonder if that comes off as two vehicle update commands in a row. The message hasn’t repeated when I tried it again, but the vehicle status fails every time now.

That message pops up when the app sends out requests that are too close together with respect to time. I get that sometimes when I manually update and the app already sent out its request from opening the app. If you manually update within a few seconds you will get it too.

newmanium 10-13-2020 02:44 AM

So this has been happening more and more and now I can’t ever seem to get the car to respond. It does update the app for charge levels, but any commands always come back with the dreaded message. Parked in the same spot as always with great reception, used to work flawlessly.

I guess I’ll have to try some reset procedures. Grrrr Audi.

yousufferbutwhy 10-17-2020 02:03 PM

I finally have this resolved. The fix involved logging in to the Audi Connect website, which told me my password had expired. I created a new password, then went through the steps of removing the key user and adding back. After that, I can now control locking and climate from the app.

DG-e-Tron 10-21-2020 05:38 AM

The only way I have been able to resolve this is by logging out of the app (iOS), and removing the key user in the MMI. After logging back in with the key user information I then logged back in to the My Audi app and all was working. You can also try deleting the app, reinstalling, and logging back in before removing the key user information. Unfortunately, many issues with their software/servers.

newmanium 10-21-2020 10:34 AM

I also fixed this by logging out on the car, and then relogging into the app (which took forever to find the right password). I actually never relogged in on the car yet, but the app started working after logging in again - can control like before.

Come on Audi, these sort of glitches shouldn't stick around.

valenimi 06-26-2021 11:59 AM

any updates to this problem? I'm still getting this annoying cannot connect problem.

thebishman 06-27-2021 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by valenimi (Post 25603777)
any updates to this problem? I'm still getting this annoying cannot connect problem.

After a couple of weeks I have now been able to contact the car; set the climate control remotely, etc. over the last 48hours or so.

I would go to your myaudi account and log out and back in, then log out of the app on your phone and then log in. Hopefully you should then be fine.

Bish

valenimi 06-27-2021 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by thebishman (Post 25603965)
After a couple of weeks I have now been able to contact the car; set the climate control remotely, etc. over the last 48hours or so.

I would go to your myaudi account and log out and back in, then log out of the app on your phone and then log in. Hopefully you should then be fine.

Bish

ok, I have tried:

1. Log out from MyAudi on car. Unpaired the car and MyAudi account. Logged out from app and after that reinstalled everything and no go.
2. tried to do everything like #1 but not unpaired the car. -> no go.
3. tried to change password at MyAudi website. Then do #1. -> no go
4. tried #1 but in the installing phase at first logged in MyAudi and then paired the car with 10 digit code. -> no go.
5. tried to complain about it every web forum I can find. -> some help 😊

anemeth 06-27-2021 09:34 AM

This is from the German e-tron forum, posted today:

"Answer from Connect customer service:
“We would like to inform you that the master data will be adjusted on Tuesday, June 29th, 2021.
You will be asked on Wednesday, June 30th, 2021 to carry out the desired process again. ""

We will see...., the German user could not create and add user to the MMI.

aj84 06-27-2021 10:58 AM

Hi all,
Is this specifically an e-tron thing only?

Reason I ask is my e-tron has gone into the dealership to get some warranty items sorted and as a result, have been in a brand new A8.
I have had the same issues as most of you in regards to the e-tron not being reachable.

Today I paired the A8 to my audi + key user bits.
To my surprise, it not only refreshed on the App (for the A8) but continues to refresh. In comparison, the E-tron was last reached on the 24th June.

To make it easier, I added a widget on my phone for both cars and hit refresh on both - A8 refreshes, E-tron comes back saying it could not be reached.

I would be surprised if this is limited to E-trons only so curious to see what you all are seeing

JNealCox 06-27-2021 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by anemeth (Post 25604009)

“We would like to inform you that the master data will be adjusted on Tuesday, June 29th, 2021.
You will be asked on Wednesday, June 30th, 2021 to carry out the desired process again. ""

So I guess the one positive out of this is that I don't need to bother to try to log in until Wednesday. "Carry out the desired process again?"....a bit of Deutschlish....am I right to assume that means trying to log into MyAudi on the MMI? Does anyone else have a different "desired process"?

anemeth 06-27-2021 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by JNealCox (Post 25604062)
So I guess the one positive out of this is that I don't need to bother to try to log in until Wednesday. "Carry out the desired process again?"....a bit of Deutschlish....am I right to assume that means trying to log into MyAudi on the MMI? Does anyone else have a different "desired process"?

It is a German forum, translated to English by Google :).

valenimi 06-30-2021 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by anemeth (Post 25604009)

ok, it's Wednesday and still it's not working...

anemeth 06-30-2021 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by valenimi (Post 25605048)

Yeah, looks like this was the usual Audi bull****.

MyAudi, this morning, did came with this error message first: "Vehicle position could not be updated". And of course the aircon could not be started ("Vehicle cannot be reached").

I am realy speechless, although I have some swear words for those bunch of idiots...

valenimi 06-30-2021 01:14 AM

Just contacted to Audi Germany.

There is going to be service break on Audi connect application tomorrow, which is going to fix this problem. *fingers crossed*

thebishman 06-30-2021 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by valenimi (Post 25605048)

I have been able to contact the car every day for at least a week now.