AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-e-tron-q8-e-tron-232/)
-   -   Loss of battery range (really, not GOM issue) (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-e-tron-q8-e-tron-232/loss-battery-range-really-not-gom-issue-3023880/)

Peachy3 08-13-2021 05:35 AM

Loss of battery range (really, not GOM issue)

I have a 2019 Prestige with about 7k miles. I have been driving EVs since 2014 (2014 and 2017 i3s (sold), currently a model 3 and a Leaf still in the family, we're an all-EV family since 2017), and I understand how the GOM and range estimation works.

My range has been pretty consistent, and as you can see based on my mileage, I don't drive a lot these days, usually a couple times a week for a few miles but that's about it, with the occasional longer trip. I charge to 80% and I usually plug in when I get below 25%. (Good battery maintenance practices all around.)

Last weekend when I charged up, my GOM only got to 90 miles at 80%. I don't pay that much attention usually when I charge if I'm going to be around town, but 90 seemed really low. So I busted out the app and my spreadsheets and looked at my history, efficiency, etc. and there's no way that's just driving efficiency (I'm at 43.5kWh/100mi over long term, and it doesn't vary much over the last two weeks--efficiency would have to be very bad to support that kind of range estimate in any case). My long term average translates to 218 miles of capacity based on a 95kW battery. Even if we're only accessing 88% of the full 95kW, I'm still well short of that, so clearly something's off.

I just charged it up again, and it tells me only 85 miles at 80%. So I'm thinking I lost a battery pack. I made an appointment with the dealer (it'll be a couple of weeks before I can get in and get a loaner). We'll see how it goes, battery is under warranty, so I'm expecting them to replace it.

I've been happy with the car so far, hope that they get this sorted out.

tboo72 08-13-2021 06:16 AM

You'd think you'd be able to pull some codes if a battery pack is bad or you'd get a warning light on the dash. That sucks though. Hopefully its a quick fix!

ThomasW 08-13-2021 07:26 AM

This does sound like an issue with the BMS or one or more modules in the battery failed. The dealer will be able to tell you more.

aj3563 08-13-2021 07:31 AM

Have you tried rebooting MMI to see if it resets GOM? I find it hard to believe that Audi’s first all-electric vehicle wouldn’t alert if a battery module went bad or offline.

biff2bart 08-13-2021 07:43 AM

It's almost certainly a dead cell or something with your BMS.

There is an off chance that you can fix this by depleting your battery to around 5% or so and then trickle charging it back to 100% to re-equalize the cell voltages. But since that IS the BMS' usual job, you will probably end up on the same place: i.e. having to get it serviced.

Can you get into the boost power range when you put the shifter into Sport? Often when a bank of cells dies, there will be a loss in available power as well.

Peachy3 08-13-2021 08:01 AM

When I put it in Sport mode, the green bar doesn't extend like it used to. My dealer appointment is on 9/2.

BimmerCaddyAudi 08-13-2021 10:04 AM

I have to agree. You've either lost a pack or the BMS has failed. Either way, it needs to be serviced.
Good luck.

critchie6 08-19-2021 11:35 AM

So I posted a few days back...on a different thread. I lost 35% of my battery capacity about two weeks ago. The indications besides the loss in range were it only took 17.5 kwH of charging to replace 32% of the battery capacity, the power gauge on the virtual cockpit only went to about 90% (of course no boost indication). An an OBD11 code that I'm not remembering at the moment. I took it to the dealership a week ago they said it was a bad high voltage battery module (which I now understand to be a bad cell). They have all the parts to replace the bad cell, except for some kind of conductive paste which they don't when they will receive. They say changing the bad cell will only take half a day when they get the paste, which surprises me because I thought it was at least a two week job. Anyone have experience with a bad battery cell?

Dilzman 08-21-2021 06:15 AM

I started having this exact issue yesterday as well. 2019 Prestige with 9k miles. Battery indicates 80% charge, but range shows only 112 and immediately drops to 108 when I pull out of the garage....has consistently shown 155-165 @ 80% until now. Power is limited to ~85% and no boost available in S mode. Based on the comments so far, sounds like I'm heading to the dealer.....again.....(sigh). Interested to hear how the fix goes for others.

critchie6 09-03-2021 08:26 AM

Finally have my E-tron back after being at the dealership for 3 weeks. Battery cell number 12 was dead. That limited the charging to 65%. One dead cell causes all the batteries to be limited so the voltage to each is balanced.

Peachy3 09-03-2021 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by critchie6 (Post 25626448)
Finally have my E-tron back after being at the dealership for 3 weeks. Battery cell number 12 was dead. That limited the charging to 65%. One dead cell causes all the batteries to be limited so the voltage to each is balanced.

Three weeks! Yikes! I dropped mine off yesterday, but haven't heard anything yet. I am not looking forward to having to buy gas for that long. It would only hold about 30 miles of charge there at the end, so just glad I can drive anywhere for now.

Dilzman 09-03-2021 09:47 AM

Dropped mine off on Tuesday (8/31). Dealer (Cary, NC) originally said they could not get me in until 9/9, but the range was dropping significantly every day....a full charge was giving me less than 70 miles. I live 30 miles from the dealer, and told them if I didn't bring it in soon, they were going to need to send a flatbed to get it. They fit me in next day, but could only give me a Q3 to drive. I'm fine with that....they do normally set me up with an e-Tron, but I'll take what I can get for now. Got a call back 2 days later saying there is definitely some bad cells in there, and it would take them "a while" to remove the battery, find the cell(s) and get them replaced. No commitment on timing, but they indicated it would be more than a week. The thing that troubles me most is that there was still no kind of warning or notification from the car that something was wrong....just the range getting worse and worse everyday....seems to me that some type of fault or error message should be displayed in a situation like this.

BimmerCaddyAudi 09-03-2021 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Peachy3 (Post 25626450)
Three weeks! Yikes! I dropped mine off yesterday, but haven't heard anything yet. I am not looking forward to having to buy gas for that long. It would only hold about 30 miles of charge there at the end, so just glad I can drive anywhere for now.

I believe the issue is receiving a replacement battery and parts.
Since E-trons are still specialized vehicles and rather rare, once they identified the problem they had to order the part which likely had to come from Germany. I don't think they stock many of the E-Tron parts in the US.
For a common A4, Q5 or Q7, many of the parts are available in US warehouses.

Peachy3 09-03-2021 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Dilzman (Post 25626480)
, but the range was dropping significantly every day....a full charge was giving me less than 70 miles. ... The thing that troubles me most is that there was still no kind of warning or notification from the car that something was wrong....just the range getting worse and worse everyday....seems to me that some type of fault or error message should be displayed in a situation like this.

That's what happened to mine. At first it was 90 miles (and I made an appointment for a couple weeks out), then a week later it was 60 miles, then the morning of my appointment it was only 30 miles. Luckily I only live a few miles from the dealer. (I was holding out for a loaner, my dealer doesn't do e-loaners at all.) Glad that it made it as long as it did.

I agree that some sort of fault notification would be nice.

Multiphonic 09-03-2021 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by BimmerCaddyAudi (Post 25626495)
I believe the issue is receiving a replacement battery and parts.
Since E-trons are still specialized vehicles and rather rare, once they identified the problem they had to order the part which likely had to come from Germany. I don't think they stock many of the E-Tron parts in the US.
For a common A4, Q5 or Q7, many of the parts are available in US warehouses.

Some of it is back-ordered too, while they continue to produce new cars. I have been waiting over a month so far on a windshield (+1 month shipping after it is made), and someone else has been waiting since April.

Just another piece of evidence that they are not supporting owners of this car like they should.

thebishman 09-04-2021 08:20 AM

I hate to say it but it may be that a bunch of us 2019 owners may start seeing battery issues due to an individual cell malfunctioning as others are posting about.

So far if I charge to 90% I am generally seeing a range in the morning of about 184 miles, and 204 miles if I charge to 100%.

Audi could well be another victim of LG battery issues; hope not!

Peachy3 09-17-2021 04:57 AM

So they told me last Friday that the battery control module was faulty and that a high voltage cell was faulty (they send a video of the tech telling you all about the diagnosis, it's neat), but I haven't heard back from the service advisor telling me when it's going to be ready. I expect that this will be covered by warranty, and I have a Q3 loaner, but not super happy about driving an ICE car for who knows how long.

Larry David 09-17-2021 05:14 AM

@Peachy3 This sounds like the same problem I have. I was told very little as well, but it could take months for parts to arrive and the repair to be completed.

PNW Etron 09-17-2021 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Peachy3 (Post 25631054)
So they told me last Friday that the battery control module was faulty and that a high voltage cell was faulty (they send a video of the tech telling you all about the diagnosis, it's neat), but I haven't heard back from the service advisor telling me when it's going to be ready. I expect that this will be covered by warranty, and I have a Q3 loaner, but not super happy about driving an ICE car for who knows how long.

Ask for a better loaner car like a Q7/Q8 or A6/A8.

Bill33525 09-17-2021 11:05 AM

If you have Audi Financing can you stop payments or at least pay a reduced price bc of the cheaper loaner?

Multiphonic 09-17-2021 12:24 PM

I also get A3/Q3 loaners. For Lemon Law purposes they are not "comparable loaners" which could work in your favor later on, depending on your state law.

Peachy3 09-23-2021 12:43 PM

So because of the back order on the lithium battery, current ETA is 10/26 -- but is subject to change. No electric loaners are available (all of their electric inventory is sold out). Luckily, I'm not commuting so I hardly drive anywhere, so I'm not bothered by the Q3. Fits better in my garage.

Larry David 09-23-2021 04:00 PM

Interesting you have an ETA. I’m at 3 weeks now with no updates.

Peachy3 09-24-2021 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by Larry David (Post 25633333)
Interesting you have an ETA. I’m at 3 weeks now with no updates.

That has to be frustrating. Sorry you're dealing with that.

opotting 09-28-2021 05:19 PM

Same issue with a 2019

I am having the same issue. Took into dealer and they could not diagnose the issue. But it sounds like a bad cell. Charged to 100% and only have 71 mile range. Just happened two days ago. See attached. Not sure why the bar near the power meter is yellow. Dealer told me to bring it back when I can leave it for a week. Plus they say they have no loaners available. Sounds like from the posts that it could take longer.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...ed29e67cbb.jpg

Peachy3 09-29-2021 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by opotting (Post 25634735)
I am having the same issue. Took into dealer and they could not diagnose the issue. But it sounds like a bad cell. Charged to 100% and only have 71 mile range. Just happened two days ago. See attached. Not sure why the bar near the power meter is yellow. Dealer told me to bring it back when I can leave it for a week. Plus they say they have no loaners available. Sounds like from the posts that it could take longer.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...ed29e67cbb.jpg

That looks like what happened to me. If you put it in drive, does the power bar only go to 85%?

At the end (about 3 weeks from when it first happened), when charged to full I only got about 30 miles of range which really makes the car unusable for practical purposes (luckily, I live fairly close to the dealer). So if you follow the same progression you may have no choice but to leave it with them at some point.

Did they specify no loaners right now, or no loaners ever? The reason I waited 3 weeks for my appointment was because that was the wait for them to have a loaner available for me.

Larry David 10-12-2021 02:17 PM

The parts for my e-tron were supposed to arrive today. I received a call from the service advisor that they are not arriving today and may arrive in November. Buy back request was again declined, but I was offered some financial compensation. I was thinking of accepting, but at 3 months plus without the e-tron, I am again asking for the full buyback.

Peachy3 10-14-2021 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Larry David (Post 25639134)
The parts for my e-tron were supposed to arrive today. I received a call from the service advisor that they are not arriving today and may arrive in November.

That's disappointing. I fear that's going to happen to me later this month when my parts are supposed to arrive.

biff2bart 10-14-2021 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Peachy3 (Post 25639623)
That's disappointing. I fear that's going to happen to me later this month when my parts are supposed to arrive.

Yeah welcome to everything supply chain related impacted by covid. I would be angry, except I know many businesses totally outside the car industry that are dealing with massive supply chain /shipping issues...
it is really messy right now...

Still, Probably doesn't make you feel any better when you're car is dead :p

jskcowboy 10-14-2021 11:48 AM

Couple of quirky events happened over the weekend. I set the charging limit to 90% and charged overnight at home. Next day, I get the confirmation of charging completed from the Audi App and when I get in the car later that morning I only see the battery at 88% soc. Also, I went to EA to charge the car and I was only getting 95KW instead of the usual 140kw to 150kw. I started the session at 20% soc and I stopped at 50% soc. The car is at the dealer now, not because of these events but I had the steering wheel tilt/telescope switch fall inside the steering column. (see the included picture) I couldn't get the steering wheel to tilt down because the switch seized on my. I was fiddling with the switch and the switch actually fell into the steering column. I'm just left with a hole on the steering column where the tilt/telescope switch is supposed to be.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...d31a83f163.jpg

Larry David 10-17-2021 02:59 PM

@Peachy3 Any updates on your parts availability?

Peachy3 10-19-2021 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Larry David (Post 25640713)
@Peachy3 Any updates on your parts availability?

They told me 10/26, so I'm not expecting to hear anything until then. I'm not optimistic though. I'll let you know when I get an update next week.

I expect that our batteries are all on a ship somewhere off a port waiting to be unloaded along with everything else.

Larry David 10-19-2021 09:41 AM

Thanks, fingers crossed. Maybe mine will be 10/26 as well.

opotting 10-21-2021 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Peachy3 (Post 25634833)
That looks like what happened to me. If you put it in drive, does the power bar only go to 85%?

At the end (about 3 weeks from when it first happened), when charged to full I only got about 30 miles of range which really makes the car unusable for practical purposes (luckily, I live fairly close to the dealer). So if you follow the same progression you may have no choice but to leave it with them at some point.

Did they specify no loaners right now, or no loaners ever? The reason I waited 3 weeks for my appointment was because that was the wait for them to have a loaner available for me.

To answer the previous question, no loaners right now.

UPDATE - after over two weeks of the servicd techs running tests and sending info to the Audi engineers, they finally determined it is a bad cell and isolated the bad cells. Now I begin the part waiting game. The techs also said there is a special tool needed for the repair and only 7 of them exist in the U.S. I have to wait on the availability of that tool as well. The tech had me come pick up my vehicle, which is down to 63 miles on a full charge and told me they will call me when everything comes in. At least I have my vehicle back for running errands, but I have to use my wife's car or rent a car if I have to drive over an hour away.

Larry David 10-21-2021 03:18 PM

I received a call today from the dealer to tell me the parts have been delivered. They began the work, but it will take a week to complete. I hope to never drive this e-tron again. I had some good times, but generally a pain in my ass.

Peachy3 10-25-2021 07:19 AM

Glad you got your parts. They told me today that I'm not getting my parts this week, but they didn't tell me a new ETA.

PNW Etron 10-25-2021 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Peachy3 (Post 25642920)
Glad you got your parts. They told me today that I'm not getting my parts this week, but they didn't tell me a new ETA.

You are so patient. As much as I like my etron, I would tell the dealer to keep the car until it's fixed and would be pursuing a lemon law claim.

Larry David 10-25-2021 03:33 PM

In Illinois lemon law is virtually useless. 1 yr or 12k. I am under 12k, but over 1 yr.

Peachy3 10-26-2021 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by PNW Etron (Post 25643037)
You are so patient. As much as I like my etron, I would tell the dealer to keep the car until it's fixed and would be pursuing a lemon law claim.

I haven't had any other troubles with the car. Can't really blame them for the world-wide supply chain problems, no reason to get worked up about it.

I have a loaner (my etron has so little range right now --30 miles-- that it's useless), so I'm not stranded and I only drive about 25 miles in a normal week so it's not a big deal anyway (pandemic has really changed my lifestyle). As long as it's got its range back when it's fixed, I'll be happy.

Larry David 10-27-2021 02:22 PM

Quick update, I am getting alerts on my phone that my Audi charging plan is complete, so I can see that the technicians have installed the new cells. I thought this was great news. Unfortunately, the app is reporting 126 miles range at 100% and 96 miles at 89%. I fear I will be getting a call from the dealer tomorrow telling to not come in, as they will not buy it until it is fixed. Fingers crossed I am wrong. If I am still in possession of the e-tron tomorrow, I will be escalating to Krohn & Moss.